Pole Dancing

Options
Hi all,
was just wondering if anyone has tried pole dancing? I know that the stigma attached to it (ie strippers) is slowly dying which I think is great. There's even a petition out there to make it an Olympic sport! To me it looks like a fun way to exercise and learn your strengths and build confidence. Remember how much fun it was to climb the monkey bars..I was one of those crazy girls that did the flip around the pole with one knee and any other crazy thing I could think of. I would love to have that feeling again and was wondering if any of you have tried it and if so could you give me an idea of what to expect at a class. Thanks :o)

Replies

• christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i haven't but i heard it was a great workout! :)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it but I want to so much! Can't afford classes, though. I'd say go for it--finding something that you're interested in that's active is SO good for your mental and physical well-being. You go girl.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A neighbor of mine has a stripper pole installed in his garage and we got a Carmen Electra stripper pole workout video and it was a great workout! I seriously could not complete it my core was not strong enough... its def a great workout, tho i am not sure how much a stripper pole costs
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    NO fair I thought ya meant soemthing else:sad:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'd try it if I had the chance. I love workouts that make you feel sexy, like zumba too.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just sold my stripper pole, actually. I found it to be more fun than a good workout. I definately built a lot of muscle tone tho. :)
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    never seen it *pushes 100 single dollar bills down in pocket*
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I actually looked into Pole Dancing at one point a few years ago [work wise, my friend was making SOOO much money] but decided against it.

However my current boss was/is a pole dancer [at 45! she makes tons of cash] and has a killer, killer body. When she builds her barn they are putting a pole up, and she said she'd give me lessons.

But until then, I want to find a place that offers pole lessons because it is such an awesome workout for your body. I know there is a stigma around it - but I don't care. It looks fun, I get to dance to music, and get in shape. Bite me.
  • xochitlg1974
    Options
    I have!!! It's an awesome workout! I'm not a stripper and don't do it professionally in any way! Even though I wouldn’t mind the extra cash ;) LOL But in all seriousness, it made me much stronger, leaner, flexible, it was such a good workout! I took classes and it’s like yoga, Pilates, gymnastics all on a pole! I always had an issue with upper body strength, can’t do pull ups or climb the rope in gym class back in the days…but after about a month of pole dance, I was able to hold my body up with my arms on a pole, as well as climb the pole all the way to the top and even learned to flip myself, upside down, stay upside down and hold myself with my legs…so yeah, I loved pole dance class…. A lot of cities offer classes and they also have groupons out there with specials.

If anyone out there is in the Tacoma, Wa area let me know, and I can recommend the pole dance instructor I worked with. :)

Also feel free to add me as a friend on here :)
  • Wildflower3475
    Wildflower3475 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I actually looked into Pole Dancing at one point a few years ago [work wise, my friend was making SOOO much money] but decided against it.

However my current boss was/is a pole dancer [at 45! she makes tons of cash] and has a killer, killer body. When she builds her barn they are putting a pole up, and she said she'd give me lessons.

But until then, I want to find a place that offers pole lessons because it is such an awesome workout for your body. I know there is a stigma around it - but I don't care. It looks fun, I get to dance to music, and get in shape. Bite me.

Haha like the way you think. As long as it's good for your body and you have fun who cares right. :o)
  • Wildflower3475
    Wildflower3475 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have!!! It's an awesome workout! I'm not a stripper and don't do it professionally in any way! Even though I wouldn’t mind the extra cash ;) LOL But in all seriousness, it made me much stronger, leaner, flexible, it was such a good workout! I took classes and it’s like yoga, Pilates, gymnastics all on a pole! I always had an issue with upper body strength, can’t do pull ups or climb the rope in gym class back in the days…but after about a month of pole dance, I was able to hold my body up with my arms on a pole, as well as climb the pole all the way to the top and even learned to flip myself, upside down, stay upside down and hold myself with my legs…so yeah, I loved pole dance class…. A lot of cities offer classes and they also have groupons out there with specials.

If anyone out there is in the Tacoma, Wa area let me know, and I can recommend the pole dance instructor I worked with. :)

Also feel free to add me as a friend on here :)

Wow, that's impressive! I'd love to be able to do all those things again. I used to be like a little monkey when I was younger and loved every second of it lol.
  • dagza
    dagza Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen ;-)
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    I absolutely love pole dancing! I use to go to lessons, and then brought a pole which you can put up and take down quite easily!
    I've not been on mine for a while but i will be getting it out again! its so good for strength and tone! And it makes you feel amazing!
  • nelljoy
    nelljoy Posts: 12
    Options
    I checked on Netflix (I get a lot of my workout videos there) and they have a few pole dancing workout videos. Might be worth a try to see if you like it.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen ;-)

Damn! You beat me to it.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i want to take a class! Some friends of mine went to one class and were hooked. I heard it's hella expensive though
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i thought about..............
  • andreamichelle82
    andreamichelle82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I took a class with a group of girls as part of a bachelorette weekend in NYC! It was really fun and pretty stinkin hard. The class itself was expensive, but if you can afford it or can get a good deal, I'd recommend it. I definitely felt it in my arms, abs, and thighs.