the dreaded LAST TEN POUNDS

Options
Hey!

I'm having trouble losing the last ten lbs. I'm 5'5 and as of today 134 lbs, and I would like to be 125 lbs.

Any tips? I have been exercising 3 to 4 times a week (zumba and yoga) and i have been calorie counting 5 to 6 days a week with a couple cheat days each week to raise metabolism.

Should i cut out my cheat days? Should i add more fruits and vegetables to my diet? Or should i increase my exercises?

The intensity of my Zumba classes is really high, I would say I'm burning around 500+ calories each session.

Help!

Replies

• chic_mama_25
    Options
    I am in the same boat.. Been 130ish for ages now. Tips please!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Strength training is key, try HIIT training, also make sure you are set to lose no more than 0.5 lbs/week or you risk burning muscle along with the fat. You should also eat all your exercise calories. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be. Good luck, and congrats on your progress thus far.

Also try switching up your routine every 4-6 weeks to keep your body guessing
  • saintsbootcamp
    Options
    Cheat days should prbably go that's usually why those last ten lbs stick around. When you say days, how many do you mean? Maybe cut it to one a week and only allow yourself one cheat food. Those last ten are tricky in order to get them you need to get serious! Try something new as far as workout it is ALWAYS a good thing to trick the body. Trying something new will allow you to burn more calories because the body is not used to it. Mix it up a bit. Good luck♥
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    bump - me three
  • saintsbootcamp
    Options
    Strength training is key, try HIIT training, also make sure you are set to lose no more than 0.5 lbs/week or you risk burning muscle along with the fat. You should also eat all your exercise calories. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be. Good luck, and congrats on your progress thus far.

AGREED. ☺
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Same here! If I don't have cheat days, keep toning/aerobics, and eat really healthy I can lose 1-2 lbs a month. Maybe maybe one pound a week on a good week. Even though i'm set to active, exercise faithfully, and try to overall eat well. The last pounds do not want to budge, so you can't fool around and have to keep being persistant! I know it will happen. I know it will take a lot of persistance!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Been trying to shift my last 10lbs for several months now, feel like I've tried every thing - so looking forward to reading all the responses and advice offered :)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

AGREED. ☺

agreed, too. This is what i'm doing. But any extras and my body really wants to help me survive the famine and packs it away!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I agree with cut your loss goal to 1/2 to 1 pound a week max and eat back your exercise calories ... Boost your metabolism with weight training on top of or combined with the cardio. Make sure you drink your water too.
  • canadiangirl84
    canadiangirl84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I have 1-2 cheat days a week. And I eat whatever I want almost on those days. I haven't done any strength training at all though.

I will cut down to one cheat day a week, and have it be one meal. Also, I will try the weight training.

It's so frustrating when your weight loss is a smooth progression and then comes to an abrupt halt!

I don't drink much water though, and im wondering if increasing my water intake will help me out here? please advise.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

I have 1-2 cheat days a week. And I eat whatever I want almost on those days. I haven't done any strength training at all though.

I will cut down to one cheat day a week, and have it be one meal. Also, I will try the weight training.

It's so frustrating when your weight loss is a smooth progression and then comes to an abrupt halt!

I don't drink much water though, and im wondering if increasing my water intake will help me out here? please advise.

Strength training is really key - keep in mind though it's not going to produce results on your scale, but will produce results in the fit of clothing.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Also 5'5" and stuck at 140. I want to be 130. I haven't lost a lb in a month now and it's getting annoying!
  • canadiangirl84
    canadiangirl84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't know what HIIT was until i googled it. I'm familiar with is (Sprint circuit), but have never tried it outside a gym.

I found this exercise plan for HIIT and I'm going to try it outside.

Minutes 1-4 (Warm-Up)
    Jog at about 50% effort

Minute 5 First-Half (Workout Interval 1)
    Sprint 20 seconds at maximum effort
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 5 Last-Half (Workout Interval 2)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 6 First-Half (Workout Interval 3)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 6 Last-Half (Workout Interval 4)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 7 First-Half (Workout Interval 5)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 7 Last-Half (Workout Interval 6)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 8 First-Half (Workout Interval 7)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 8 Last-Half (Workout Interval 8)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minutes 9-12 (Cool-Down)
    Jog at about 50% effort

Hopefully that may give me some results.
  • erickirb
    Options

When starting weights you may gain a few pounds, but don't fret, it will be water weight, as you msucles store water to protect them from damage and to aid in recovery. Just drink plenty of water and keep at it, eventually your muscles will shed that water weight. I would advise to lift 3 to 4 times per week and don't work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row, and stay away from the scale for a couple of weeks.
  • wooddie14
    wooddie14 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose 10 more as well but it's going slow. HIIT??? Have seen it before but don't know what it is about. Why is it so important to eat your calories back? I guess I need to learn more about nutrition and the way my body uses calories.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I actually didn't know what HIIT was until i googled it. I'm familiar with is (Sprint circuit), but have never tried it outside a gym.

I found this exercise plan for HIIT and I'm going to try it outside.

Minutes 1-4 (Warm-Up)
    Jog at about 50% effort

Minute 5 First-Half (Workout Interval 1)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 5 Last-Half (Workout Interval 2)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 6 First-Half (Workout Interval 3)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 6 Last-Half (Workout Interval 4)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 7 First-Half (Workout Interval 5)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 7 Last-Half (Workout Interval 6)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 8 First-Half (Workout Interval 7)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minute 8 Last-Half (Workout Interval 8)
    Jog/Walk 10 seconds

Minutes 9-12 (Cool-Down)
    Jog at about 50% effort

Hopefully that may give me some results.

That is one way, another is after the warm up sprint for 30 seconds to 1 minute, followed by an equal amount of time going slower, do this for 12-20 minutes then you are done after your cool down. Your recovery between sprints should be at 60% the intensity of the sprints. So if you run at 8 MPH for the sprint your recovery should be around 5 MPH. Hope this helps.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I would like to lose 10 more as well but it's going slow. HIIT??? Have seen it before but don't know what it is about. Why is it so important to eat your calories back? I guess I need to learn more about nutrition and the way my body uses calories.

You just risk burning muscle, if you don't have much fat stores, and you deficit is too large > 250 or so calories.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. Haven't lost a single lb in a month and I am strength training and do HIIT. I did notice before that if I increase my calorie intake that helps, I just redid mine again this week so I'm waiting to see what happens. I understand your frustration! Im stuck at 131, then it will go up to 133, then back down to 131, and I think okay I'm 131 so tomorrow I will weight myselfs and it will go down!!! And guess what its up again!!UGH!
  • sohern
    sohern Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love this topic and all of the helpful info!. Looks like it's time for me to up my weight training and intervals. :wink: