Quitting Smoking

Options
I'm not entirely sure where to put this post... Figured here is as good a place as any.

Has anyone had success in quitting smoking While losing weight? I'm taking baby steps here and doing one thing at a time, but I'd like to start getting revved up to begin attacking my last Bad habit! I'm not in to sabotage myself however, and thought I'd see if any others have success stories on how they were able to quit without gaining back weight...

Stories? Suggestions??

Replies

• Boxer_Chick
    Boxer_Chick Posts: 15
    Options
    I suggest wellbutrin. The success rate is good and it curbs your appetite. I successfully didn't gain when I quit using it.
  • Greyhawk
    Greyhawk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I managed to do it (1.5 pack / day for 20y).......just gota say to yourself...why am i bothering to exercise and eat properly.......if im going to smoke.

Worked for me.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Smoking for me was one habit that I could never let go. Until I saw one of those commercials that really freaked me out. I still smoke at events where I drink to much. But I don't beat myself up about it. The electronic cigarette that is just water vapor works wonders when your really having a bad day but don't use it as a crutch . Fix the oral fixation with sugar free gum and small snacks. I haven't had a smoke in 3 months now and find that the smell when other people smoke is nauseating. If your on this website you obviously care enough about your health already so just stop, not later or tomorrow but now! It will get easier I promise!
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    I did it really really slowly, you want to be at the point where 1 a day is normal, not hard, then at the point where 3 a week is normal, before you even think about stopping. At least, that worked for me, because I didn't want to use any nicotine replacement, and also this way combats the psychological *habit* which in my opinion is a lot harder to get over than the nicotine.

At the end I was only smoking 2 or 3 per week. So that made it a lot easier. But it helped so much to think of each cigarette as a choice - not that I'm not allowed one, but that I *choose* not to. (now I have to do the same with biscuits though!)

Look at older people who smoke on the street.. Look at their skin and hair.. That also helps!

I have been cutting down /trying to quit since maybe Sept last year? But when I turned 25 I was determined I was not going to smoke any more at all - and by that time it was easy since I was only smoking about 3 a week.

I started MFP when I quit in March pretty much? It helped me realise how much I was eating and recognise that my appetite was excessive cos of the not smoking. You just have to ignore the hunger!

Hope that helps a bit - good luck x
  • kmcincy
    kmcincy Posts: 3
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for 23 years. I had acupuncture for it and haven't picked up a cigarette since then, haven't even thought about it. I know 2 other people in my family who have had the same success.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would love to quit smoking. It is a routine/habit that I need to break. I joined MFP and made a decision to better my life and took on a new lifestyle with reckless abandon, but quitting somking is a whole different aspect that I need to tackle.

My BIL tried Chantix and loved it at first, then got some nasty side effects like nightmares, sleep walking and sleep cooking, he said hw will never touch the stuff again.
  • Twinsytoo
    Twinsytoo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Pick your date and quit cold turkey. Its the only way to do it. You have to want to quit.

I started smoking at the age of 11 and quit on my 25th birthday. Thank god for that. Smoking makes you look and feel old and I'm glad I quit when I did.

You can do this! Do it for yourself, your loved ones and those that are in your life. Good luck!
  • Ellebeegirl
    Ellebeegirl Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to quit without gaining. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but the majority of people gain some. I had tried to quit multiple times in the past and would start again when the weight started creeping up. Finally I decided it was worth it and I quite honestly used sugar as a means to quit. I gained 20 pounds in three months. It was worth every single ounce. No question.

If you are the type of person that can substitute a workout or a carrot stick for the nasty smokes, then you might stand a chance. For me it was girl scout cookies in the car and caramels on the sofa in the evenings.

Regardless, I don't think you will ever regret chosing to quit smoking regardless of the scale.

Best of luck to you!

PS: I quit a year and a half ago, and have lost and regained that 20 pounds several times.
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! You all make some good points, and I have some good ideas brewing. This is my last vice... yes, save the best for last! Lol. I'll be 35 next month and I would love to quit by then. You're right. I Have to Want to quit... and I'm right about there. ;}
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey on January 18th and have lost weight since that time. You just cant replace the cigarette with snacking or else you will gain if you dont durn it off. I used the fear of gain for way to long to justify the reason why i continued to smoke ven though I excercised regularly. I feel so much better since I quit and love the money I have saved.

Since i quit, I cant believe how much better I feel mentaly and physically, I can finally run again and I can push myself at the gym much harder.

One thing that really, really helped me was to keep a tally board up. Everyday I added up the days it had been since i quit and wrote it down on a white board in my room. When i wanted a cigarette, I went and looked at the board and thought how much it would suck to start the count all over again for just a few brief moments and a lot of guilt.

I have made it 121 days :bigsmile:
  • ddwin
    Options
    I quit cold turkey on January 18th and have lost weight since that time. You just cant replace the cigarette with snacking or else you will gain if you dont durn it off. I used the fear of gain for way to long to justify the reason why i continued to smoke ven though I excercised regularly. I feel so much better since I quit and love the money I have saved.

Since i quit, I cant believe how much better I feel mentaly and physically, I can finally run again and I can push myself at the gym much harder.

One thing that really, really helped me was to keep a tally board up. Everyday I added up the days it had been since i quit and wrote it down on a white board in my room. When i wanted a cigarette, I went and looked at the board and thought how much it would suck to start the count all over again for just a few brief moments and a lot of guilt.

Wow!!! Holy Cow!... That's a good idea. I'm already doing a daily thing on my Calendar for when I exercise. I could add one more thing. Congratulations!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

You are AWESOME!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    When I quit I joined a quit smoking site, similar to this one, called quitnet.com!

It saved my life :bigsmile: Join it, and stop smoking! It's the best thing you'll ever do!! :flowerforyou:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I've quit smoking twice. Let me explain.

The first time was because a guy I wanted to date wouldn't date someone who smoked. So I stopped. Basically I saw it as... do I want to have sex, or do I want a cigarette? Sex won.

When he dumped me, I started again.

I recently quit again because I wanted to lose weight and to do that I needed to exercise. Do I want to be healthy, or do I want to be a fat chimney? Healthy is winning.

Basically, if you want someone MORE you can use that as motivation to not smoke. I've always quit cold turkey and the hardest part was just the "habit". Reading a book and having a cigarette was my thing. Find something else to occupy your mind and remind yourself why you're doing it.

My method doesn't really work for everyone though...
  • strawberry1969
    strawberry1969 Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    i went cold turkey and quit 4 years ago now i did put on weight to start with but then substituted bread which i looove to fruit and other healthy options i havnt looked back since :happy:
  • ddwin
    Options
    When I quit I joined a quit smoking site, similar to this one, called quitnet.com!

It saved my life :bigsmile: Join it, and stop smoking! It's the best thing you'll ever do!! :flowerforyou:
    Thank you!! I will have to check that site out.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix to help me quit which worked. I had been trying for a year prior with no results. I did gain weight, about 10-15 pounds. When my cravings were really bad - about once or twice a day - I would eat fruit or vegetables with peanut butter. Although it was healthy snacking, it was just too much and I gained weight. It was worth it though. I'd rather be a fluffy non smoker than a skinny smoker. :)
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I actually quite smoking and started dieting at the same time (turned 30 and needed a life change). I have been using the electronic cigarette (www.premiumecigarette.com). If you go the e cig route, make sure you buy from a reputable manufacturer as some are made in China and have been found to contain nasty (formaldahyde for example) chemicals. It has worked for me, and you are able to do it at a slower pace so that you don't notice you quit too much. Feel free to friend me and ask me any questions that you might have!