Do you ever still feel like your former overweight self???

Options

Replies

• alimassa
    Options
    ALL THE TIME....EVERY DAY!!

I had a new neighbor say the same thing to me...she thought I was just one of those "skinny people". I went through most of high school in a 10/12. I remember how pissed I was when my wedding dress was a 14. I also remember gaining between 50 and 60 pounds with all 3 of my pregnancies.

I also remember the first day I called my sister to tell her I bought a size 6 at GAP.

Why is it I still look in the mirror and see a 12???

Ali
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Same for guys also. It's funny, when I was heavy I thought of myself as skinnier than I was, now that I am thinner, I think of myself as fat. *shrug*
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I will always be a fat girl at heart.

Even though my numbers are falling on the scale, they haven't set in yet. I'm in the 160s, but mentally, I'm still in the 200s. I constantly stop to look in mirrors, amazed that I have a figure again (a nice one!!) because in my head, I am still large and bulbous.

Maybe one day my head will align with reality, but I doubt it. Like I said, I'll always be a fat girl at heart..... which isn't such a bad thing. If everyone had a little fat girl/guy in them, there'd be a lot less meanness in our world towards the overweight.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    Same for guys also. It's funny, when I was heavy I thought of myself as skinnier than I was, now that I am thinner, I think of myself as fat. *shrug*
    same here:grumble:
  • tlitzner
    Options
    I had the opposite problem. When I was overweight, I always pictured myself thin, then I would see a photo or a certain view in the mirror and not even recognize myself. I guess I am the only one that thinks I look great until I have a mirror in front of me! People call me skinny now and I have no problem saying "thank you!" and believing them. I guess I am just conceited lol
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I wish I felt better about my weight loss. I see that my clothes are too big, but I still feel like a tubby Mom. I think I expected to be at a "wow!" point when I got to 25 pounds lost. I just kind of look at myself and wonder why I still feel tubby. I hate that...I'm happy, but ummm...I guess I thought others would notice more too. I'm only 5'2"...I guess I was hoping it would be more obvious to myself.
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bah ME ME ME! I know I look sooooooo much better now that I've lost 40 lbs, but all I can think about is the lbs left, and being really unsure how much I want to lose. I mean, I currently want to lose another 20 lbs, to bring me to 155 at 5'7'' but every time I get to a goal, I'm like, seriously, is that all?

The funny part (I have to remind myself of this) is that when I started at 215 I never thought I'd see the weight I am right now (175). I haven't weighed this little since before I could drive. When I broke 200 it was such an amazing feeling! I was so excited to weigh 199, but if I saw 199 now, I'd probably break down and cry!! lol.

People say I look different, but I don't FEEL different, so I still feel overweight. When a cute guy started talking to me the other day at school, I was confused. All I could think at the time was that he'd want me to tutor him in Chem! :laugh: After, I was like oh! He was TALKING to me...:wink: I never expect stuff like that, cuz it's never happened to me before! lol.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Well, how about always having a BMI considered normal, but thinking that I am fat! Been just called "normal" the other day. Well, I want to look good, I don't want to be boring normal! Like someone patting me on my shoulder and mumbling "you're okay, girl, relax, you're just okay" :mad:

On the same line of thinking, the virtual model (talking 'bout the www.mvm.com) doesn't even make the difference between 135lbs and 125lbs. Might be because of the 135lbs one already being muscular and showing no cellulites :laugh: . Do you see any difference in those two models in my profile pic? I couldn't! :grumble:, but maybe I just need another pair of glasses :laugh: .

I hate posting negative thoughts, but I'm just having a bad day.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Well, how about always having a BMI considered normal, but thinking that I am fat! Been just called "normal" the other day. Well, I want to look good, I don't want to be boring normal! Like someone patting me on my shoulder and mumbling "you're okay, girl, relax, you're just okay" :mad:

On the same line of thinking, the virtual model (talking 'bout the www.mvm.com) doesn't even make the difference between 135lbs and 125lbs. Might be because of the 135lbs one already being muscular and showing no cellulites :laugh: . Do you see any difference in those two models in my profile pic? I couldn't! :grumble:, but maybe I just need another pair of glasses :laugh: .

I hate posting negative thoughts, but I'm just having a bad day.

Yes I do see quite a different in the two models - look at the chest / torso / upper abs / upper hip - the one of the right is definitely smaller!

10 lbs will feel quite different, so keep working toward your goal!

I hear you about the "healthy" BMI - just because I have a BMI of 23 doesn't mean that I don't want to lose weight, right? Good luck reaching your goal!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    Options
    I wish I felt better about my weight loss. I see that my clothes are too big, but I still feel like a tubby Mom. I think I expected to be at a "wow!" point when I got to 25 pounds lost. I just kind of look at myself and wonder why I still feel tubby. I hate that...I'm happy, but ummm...I guess I thought others would notice more too. I'm only 5'2"...I guess I was hoping it would be more obvious to myself.

You look great - and this message is to all of us who have posted on here - WE control how we feel about ourselves, so we need to embrace how well we are doing, and how GREAT we look!!!!! I mioght be going a little Tony Robbins here, but we might need a little "positive self talk" - sounds crazy, but desperate times call for desperate measures!!!!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Bah ME ME ME! I know I look sooooooo much better now that I've lost 40 lbs, but all I can think about is the lbs left, and being really unsure how much I want to lose. I mean, I currently want to lose another 20 lbs, to bring me to 155 at 5'7'' but every time I get to a goal, I'm like, seriously, is that all?

The funny part (I have to remind myself of this) is that when I started at 215 I never thought I'd see the weight I am right now (175). I haven't weighed this little since before I could drive. When I broke 200 it was such an amazing feeling! I was so excited to weigh 199, but if I saw 199 now, I'd probably break down and cry!! lol.

I think that I could have written this post....
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    10 lbs will feel quite different, so keep working toward your goal!

I hear you about the "healthy" BMI - just because I have a BMI of 23 doesn't mean that I don't want to lose weight, right? Good luck reaching your goal!

Thanks! *Hug* I think I really needed to hear this! :flowerforyou:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    What's really weird is that at times, I don't feel fat at all. I still see or I guess remember myself the way that I used to be. I mean not all the time, but the majority of the time I don't feel as big as I am, until I catch a glimpse in the mirror, or I try to do something that I used to be able to do and I can't do it that way anymore. What's even odder, is when I was younger, I thought I was so fat and big, and I look back and wonder what was I thinking? I was around all these people whom later on I found out were bulimic or anorexic.

The biggest thing that I have learned over this past year is that my weight is a direct reflection on how I feel inside.
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Me Too!
  • FitShark
    Options
    After reading all these posts, and seeing everyone's weight loss succeses', I feel better in a way knowing I am not the only one who's looking good these days; but still feels fat and cant see myself the way others are. It is funny to have one great day, where I am confident because I just "feel" thin and capable, and the next day be down and out because I just feel fatter. And then I get mad, why should we all have "this"!? I guess its good if we can remain positive.....like remembering where we all started, and how far we've come....but dont let it consume you!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I too used to keep on feeling like my former self. Totally horrible when I looked in the mirror... Like a year ago, but after a year of working out & having no option, but to buy new clothes (that fit), it is better. Some things just come with time.

Now I feel like BrandNewLaura.... Happy, proud and unafraid to look in the mirror. For me MFP has helped - not just for the weight loss since I joined but for the buddy system too!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin:wink:
  • AJCM
    Options
    After reading all these posts, and seeing everyone's weight loss succeses', I feel better in a way knowing I am not the only one who's looking good these days; but still feels fat and cant see myself the way others are. It is funny to have one great day, where I am confident because I just "feel" thin and capable, and the next day be down and out because I just feel fatter. And then I get mad, why should we all have "this"!? I guess its good if we can remain positive.....like remembering where we all started, and how far we've come....but dont let it consume you!

Great post - I really do need to work on the "metal" part - I'm always in my head way too much - bordering on neurotic really... so self critical.... ugh...
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wow. You all have such great things to say.
    PrincessLaundry- I know what you mean about feeling "tubby." Since I have been overweight most of my life I have a lot of lose skin around my midsection and on a "bad day" it's the first place my eyes go. I can grab a chunk of it and think "oh my gosh! Look at all this fat I still have to lose!" even though my doctor has told me it is mostly just lose skin and not fat. It's hard. Also, frustrating. I am an athletic 23 year old and should be able to run in a sports bra without my stomach jiggling, but I will never have that luxury and it depresses me.
    Well, I guess we just have to accept our faults and move on.
    Good luck to everyone. Keep up the good work. Let's hope these last few pounds come off for me. :happy:
  • FitShark
    Options
    [/quote]

Great post - I really do need to work on the "metal" part - I'm always in my head way too much - bordering on neurotic really... so self critical.... ugh...
    [/quote]

I didnt think anyone could be more neurotic than me!!! (Actually, you should ask my husband, he'll tell you how crazy I make HIM about all this! :grumble: ) If you find a way to eliminate the self criticism, please (begging!) let me know :flowerforyou: