Help me out....Mexican style dessert

Options
13»

Replies

• heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Tropical fruit salad with mexican cream offered as a topper.

Grilled mango.

Fruit (especially mangos and melons) with chile and lime (If you have the stores around, Tajín is great for this).

My husband is Mexican and they eat this alllll the time! Tajin in the best chile we have tried so far. It really does help curve the sweet tooth with a spicy kick! :)

This idea I do love! I will try this!
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    this is only mexican because it is in a tortilla - but I can tell you it looks beautiful when made and tastes AMAZING!!!

Chocolate Banana Bread Burritos
    Ingredients
    1/2c sugar
    1/4c butter or marg
    ¾ to 1c mashed bananas
    1 egg
    ½ tsp vanilla
    3/4c flour
    ½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp baking soda
    1/4tsp salt
    1Tbsp canola oil
    6 (8-inch) flour tortillas OR 10 4-inch mini tortillas
    1c dark chocolate chips

Glaze (not used, not missed)
    1/2 c dark choc chips
    2Tbsp butter
    1/4c unsweetened cocoa
    powdered sugar (optional)

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Cream sugar and butter. Add bananas, egg and vanilla, mix well. Add dry ingredients.
    Divide mix between tortilla’s (2Tbsp if using mini is more than enough) and spread. Sprinkle with choc chips. Roll burrito and place in a greased baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. If using glaze, drizzle over tortillas before baking (add all ingredients and stir over low heat till melted). Bake 20-25mins until golden (minis take 10-15). Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    How about a mango sorbet, with lime juice a splash of the alcohol of your choice and a hit of fresh chilli to keep it interesting.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would go lazy and slice flour tortillas in strips, mist with a little oil, coat in sugar and cinnamon and bake until crispy. Serve with a little chocolate sauce with cinnamon in it and maybe some strawberries.

I second this. We had a mexican cookout for Cinco de Mayo and I'm a dessert fanatic so I wanted something healthy to fit along with the theme. I cut wheat tortillas into wedges, sprayed them with light cooking spray and sprinkled them with sugar and cinnamon. Then I bought fat free vanilla ice cream and served that with a berry sauce I made by simply simmering frozen berries until macerated. Super easy and everything can be done in advance. It was a big hit!
  • DebLee
    DebLee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually baked small tortillas shaped as a bowl.
    Very simple and takes just a few minutes to make.

Small tortillas.
    Spray one side with a little I can't believe it's not butter - one or 2 sprays is enough.
    Sprinkle cinnamon.

Put into a tortilla pan - or shape anyway that you want.
    Bake at 425 degrees for 5-6 minutes until edges are slightly browned.

Cool.
    I use Breyers Fat free vanilla ice cream - 90 calories per 1/2 cup, Fat free Redi Whip - 5 calories per TBSP.

Very tasty. I make several bowls at once so I can have them for the week.