Best Forms Of Swimming Exercise?

Options
Hello Everyone!

I am just about to start swimming daily for exercise to MEfurbish myself and I am wondering if anyone could share with me what has worked ion the past for them with respect to getting thew most out of this exercise. The obvious thing is laps for strength and cardio, but are there other exercises that are useful for burning fat and gaining muscle?

Any ideas that you might have would be helpful!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you don't already know how, learn to flip turns ... great for abs and even just practicing them in the shallow end is a good workout ... If you want to learn there is a GOOD video series at goswim.com that gives you a step by step guide. Watched it and knew how to do them within 20 minutes (teaching the old cat to do tricks)
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    Like jogging, start off slow and build up every 2 weeks.

Learn all the different strokes (freestyle/crawl, butterfly, breastroke, and backstroke). By adding these different variey of strokes, you'll be working different types of muscles in your entire body and different arm muscles too.

But also, water aerobics, 3 times a week, is also a great source of a swimming workout plan too.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I go to a "cardio splash" class at the Y and we do all kinds of upper and lower body strengthening. We do stuff from kick boxing to jogging in the pool. We also use aqua weights (they are equivalent to 20 pounds) to work our arms and upper body. We use the foam "noodles" to do crunches. It is a good workout. I don't know if that is the kind of exercise you were talking about.
  • tawojcik
    tawojcik Posts: 67
    Options
    As some one that spent like 15 years working in Lifeguarding and around water fitness, I may be able to give some pointers. If you are interested in non-swimming water exercise, consider walking in water that is about waist deep for several laps or minutes.

There are also water aerobics classes out there and they are offered from beginner to advanced levels. As far as swimming, if you mix up your strokes you will get the best overall body workout.

They do make water-proof radios to help with the boredom.

One place where I worked actually had an underwater hockey league. That was cool.

Check with your local pools and see what they offer!
  • tawojcik
    tawojcik Posts: 67
    Options
    Milk jugs make great water weights for just starting out....you can adjust the amount of water in the jugs to the weight you need (up to 8 pounds each).
  • imabigvegan
    imabigvegan Posts: 72
    Options
    Awesome stuff gang! Keep it coming!