Second day and I'm not doing so well.... :(

Options
It's amazing what you begin to realize about yourself as soon as you start to write down everything you eat. I just signed up at myfitnesspal yesterday and I've decided to be 100% honest with myself this time...no lying about what I've eaten, no pretending I worked out, when I didnt, and definitely no DENIAL! With that said, this is HARD!!!!! I can't believe that this is actually what I've become... :( Anyway, I'm hoping that this will help! I don't want to feel the way I do TODAY about myself anymore! My goal at the end isn't just about weight, although I need to lose some; and it's not just about dress sizes, even though I would love to see single digits; but for me, this is really about wanting to feel good about myself, physically, mentally and emotionally. So...here we go!! :)

Replies

• jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    One thing MFP does well is make you ACCOUNTABLE to yourself. ;) It's not pretty at times, but you know what - it teaches you how to be kinder to yourself over time, too.

This isn't about kicking yourself for how you got here - what's done is done. It's about moving on from here.

Good luck!
  • LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    It is hard for everyone in the beginning, but stick with it and it will definitely pay off! Good luck to you!
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    You've taken a good step. The motivation and support you find here will help tons. I find that putting every single little thing down helps me tons to stay on track. Love that this site makes it so easy for me to keep track of it all while also getting support and advice when I really need it. Good Luck on your Journey and please feel free to add me.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Nobody expects you to be perfect when you first start out. Heck, nobody expects you to be perfect after you've been doing this for a long time. It takes time to adjust to the new lifestyle. Set mini goals for yourself and achieve them. My biggest tip is to eat half of what you could, you'll find this will help you meet your calorie goals immensely.
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Options
    Its your second day so yes you are doing great. If it was easy it would be called something like Smiling :) Good luck ! I look forward to seeing you day three
  • micki59
    micki59 Posts: 25
    Options
    Don't be so hard on your self! I was totally amazed (horrified) how much I was eating when I started tracking it and by then I WAS watching what I was eating..so I can only imagine how much it all added up to when I wasn't tracking and just eating whatever I felt like. It isn't easy, but I'm hoping it pays off if I do what I am supposed to. From what I've seen on this site - IT DOES!!! Stick with it and when you don't feel like put it out here and just get through it. Good luck!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is hard in the beginning especially when you see the calories adding up so quickly. But stick to it and you'll see big results! Then you will be happy of what you can accomplish!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    ONe of the mantras we used when I worked at Goodlife Fitness is "IT takes 21 days to form a habit".

IN other words, your changes require a long-term committment that eventually will become your natural habits....good or bad.

Using the journals help keep you accountable and see what habits you might currently have, so that you can make changes for the better along the road.

It's all about the journey towards the destination....not just the final goal.

All the best to you!
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    want to know what my biggest achievement is since starting here?

I had a bad Easter, ate chocolate and then a massive pizza the following day! Old me would have said "oh well, I've ruined it now, might aswell give up". New me said "ooh, bad few days, they're over now. I enjoyed them but lets get back on track" ..... and I did!

It's not about 'failing' - you only fail when you stop trying! It's about putting it behind you as quickly as possible, not beating yourself up and getting back on track!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    This is about learning how to make the changes, not beating yourself up. So, hang in there, keep staying honest, and the first thing is accept that this is where you ARE, not where you will always be. Use the information to make positive changes. Even one small change at a time will be a small victory as well!
    Welcome to the site and take advantage of the opportunities to find support and advice and motivation, and in no time you will find that you are worth every bit of the effort you are making!
    Good luck and kudos for a big important first step victory.
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It's so hard at first but gets easier as you stick with it. I started Jan. 19 and am down 21 pounds. Keep going!!!!

A friend at work sent me this quote from Confucious - Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. You can do it!
  • lmk1978
    lmk1978 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think that's it's importan to remember that you and everyone else on this site is trying to change their lifestyle. It's not something that is gonna change overnight, it's a work in process.
  • rachelowow
    rachelowow Posts: 47
    Options
    Keep it up!!! It gets easier, some days are hard but just work though it!! :)
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    want to know what my biggest achievement is since starting here?

I had a bad Easter, ate chocolate and then a massive pizza the following day! Old me would have said "oh well, I've ruined it now, might aswell give up". New me said "ooh, bad few days, they're over now. I enjoyed them but lets get back on track" ..... and I did!

It's not about 'failing' - you only fail when you stop trying! It's about putting it behind you as quickly as possible, not beating yourself up and getting back on track!

So had a running related injury like 5 days ago. I got a little depressed the anxiety kicked in I had one peep and then bammmm! Before I knew it I had eaten a box of prepared and taco bell till my stomach hurt. Really felt like just giving up. Woke up next day beating myself up about the 3000 calorie binge. Rather than starving myself and only leading me down to another binge session. I had had my healthy breakfast and moved on. It's tough sometimes and things will happen thatwill be discouraging. Just get back up and tell yourself I will not be destructive to my body or my mind. :)
  • leshagen
    leshagen Posts: 36
    Options
    Give yourself a little more time and try not to get discouraged. I joined about 2 weeks ago and gained a pound that first week! So now I am back to ground zero, but feeling better about my choices and more focused about what I need to do. I know it's a long hard road for us all, but we can do it! Just takes baby steps...feel free to add me as a friend for support :D
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's not about focusing on what you do badly or wrong, or where you fail... although those things count, it is FAR more important to focus on what you do right and the pride you can have when that happens. Learn from the mistakes - and don't make them again. Success is right around the corner - look for it!
  • danstvguy
    danstvguy Posts: 46
    Options
    "I can't believe that this is actually what I've become"

I think what you've become is something very special! You've chosen to join this program and post this note. You and I are now taking control of our lives and becoming accountable for our food and exercise choices. Our mindset is changing.

I started a week ago and realize this approach (my fitnesspal) is alot more like real life. In life, as adults, everything is about what choices we make. We choose our relationship with food and exercise. And now you and I have chosen to take control back.

Right now I'm 25 lbs away from my goal and I definately need this daily involvement ... sometimes 4 or 5 or more times a day .. This can't be a bad thing ... for what is more important than our health? This website is NOT JUST ABOUT WEIGHT ... its about HEALTH and fitness. So the daily planning and recording our food and exercise should be our highest piority. Indulge yourself in the this program! I am.

Wishing you and I both success!
  • danstvguy
    danstvguy Posts: 46
    Options
    <SMKEY>

Super work!!! Keep it up. Goal is in site now!
  • Wannabeachday
    Wannabeachday Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just started myself this week and I really was sick with what I put in my mouth. My whole side of my fathers family has a weight problem and I do myself. I battle with it everyday, but I decided to try harder and stop making excuses. You took the first step by signing up so you are on the right track of making a change. I am trying to make a game out of it, I am eating the foods I know will give me a "good score" :) good luck and stay strong!!!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what you begin to realize about yourself as soon as you start to write down everything you eat. I just signed up at myfitnesspal yesterday and I've decided to be 100% honest with myself this time...no lying about what I've eaten, no pretending I worked out, when I didnt, and definitely no DENIAL! With that said, this is HARD!!!!! I can't believe that this is actually what I've become... :( Anyway, I'm hoping that this will help! I don't want to feel the way I do TODAY about myself anymore! My goal at the end isn't just about weight, although I need to lose some; and it's not just about dress sizes, even though I would love to see single digits; but for me, this is really about wanting to feel good about myself, physically, mentally and emotionally. So...here we go!! :)

Take it day by day. Make one goal that you can accomplish that day and stick to it. Pretty soon it will be an old habit! When starting out a great goal is to track all foods. Don't worry about what the total calories are just write it if you bite it. Then after one week look back at your journal and think about what you would like to change. You don't have to change all at once to be successful. Celebrate the little things and everything will fall into place. Good luck.