Anyone in the Southern louisiana area?

Options
Im in lafayette, and im a married but raising my son on my own mamma! LOL
My name is NIna, and im just looking for someone aorund who can relate to having all the good yummy food and having to avoid the temptation! LOL

Sw was 241
CW is 210
Goal weight is 150ish

Replies

• NoMoreThickyMickey
    NoMoreThickyMickey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Orleans and I live in Baton Rouge now.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Oh girl! If you're anywhere in the South, that is a definite problem! I live in the Mississippi Delta, and the food is excellent, and everything we do revolves around dinner and supper! I've found to avoid overeating at events, I won't drink because it makes me gorge, and I try to stick with moderate proportions of food. When I set my fork/spoon down and have to take a breath, I know I'm done. That's the cue I look for to know I'm full!

By the way, I have been to and through Lafayette many times! I'm cousins with the McIlhenny's that own and operate the Tobasco industry. I LOVE Avery Island and New Iberger :laugh: (as my Grandfather would say:wink: ). My Granny and Gramps used to live on Avery Island. It is such a magnificent place. Have you ever been there? We use to go to Riverside in Lafayette to eat when we would visit. That is my favorite place on earth, Avery Island that is!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    I'm from New Orleans and I live in Baton Rouge now.

You poor thing! Are you being affected by the flood waters? My prayers are with you!
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I live in south mississippi and have a ton of family in the south louisiana area as that is where am originally from. Being Cajun on my dad's side and Italian on my mom's side... well let's just say my family loves food. Feel free to add me. Good luck and you'll find the support and inspiration on this site awesome. I know I am excited I found it, it has been a God send.
  • Nina_Crowson
    Nina_Crowson Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Its so hard to resist the crawfish, and boudin, and cracklins!!
    LOL.

I used to live around BR, in Plaquemine to be exact. My husband is there now in port allen, we go every other weekend to see him. Will be there next weekend for the big concert at tiger stadium! :o)
  • stariera
    Options
    LOL right there with you. Those things were a staple growing up. I have learned recently though at least the crawfish I can have in small portions, even the potatoes as long as I don't over indulge and yeah eat a salad with it.. LOL
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    I live in Baton Rouge! I agree temptations are hard!!!
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    Hi there, i'm in the baton Rouge area....
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    Many years ago, I lived in Baton Rouge for a year. I still crave the food 20 years later!!!
  • rqlinzer
    rqlinzer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am from Lafayette, and currently live in Baton Rouge. All my family and my husband's family lives in the Lafayette area, we go home often, and he always NEEDS to get boudin!!!!:devil:
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I lived in Baton Rouge for 7 months and just got back a few months ago. It is very hard to eat well down there, for sure! But it can be done. You just need to make your own meals as much as possible. It's nearly impossible to find tasty healthy things to eat out at restaurants down there, unless it's a salad... But who wants to eat salads every day? :laugh: I found it really hard to find good fresh fish that wasn't fried out at restaurants for some reason.
  • runawaydoll19
    runawaydoll19 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm in north Mississippi, close to Memphis. :) Yummy good southern cooking.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    I'm with ya friend. In Covington and so close to NO and all the goood places to eat.
  • pammye65
    pammye65 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    From North, Miss....Born in Monroe...Have Family in Louisiana (my Sisters are all on MFP!).....
  • twilightfan20
    twilightfan20 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm a 22 year old LSU student coming into my senior year. I'm from and still live in Baton Rouge. With all the festivals and get togethers, it's easy to pack on a few pounds beyond the freshman 15!

393342.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I live in Baton Rouge, LA as well. It's great to see so many on here, from or, around Louisiana!
  • catmom2cj
    catmom2cj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I live in Lake Charles. And agree with the food being a big temptation. My husband is a great cook: fried shrimp, fried fish, fried deer back strap, gumbo, shrimp stew. I'm trying for focus on portion control and adding salad before meal to help feel up. But it hard. I've only lost 8 pounds in 7 weeks but I'm still trying.
  • stariera
    Options
    I guess I should count myself lucky... I live on the Gulf Coast now in southern MS even though all my family is from South Louisiana... and though many of the staple foods growing up are still around I've learned to make healthier versions of them... there are even some of our local restaurants who have. I can often find baked fish out and about at many of our local restaurants. Boiled seafood that isn't loaded with salt LOL just have to learn which places have what and plan ahead when thinking about what I'm going to order... I'm a pain to some of the waiters because I'll always ask them how something is prepared as far as how much salt and such... too often they have to go ask a cook. My favorite little Mexican restaurant has learned how I like my fajitas and will cook them to order for me. with less oil and no salt. My favorite Japanese places wether its Hibatchi or Sushi are the same way. I bet if you talk to some of the local not chain restaurants they are more willing then you think to accomodate their customers. I've found quite a few places who have cut back on the salt in their boiled seafood or have changed over to using sea salt because of so many customer request. LOL One thing I sometimes just have to indulge in is some good ole Boudin... though I have found a local butcher who makes some from scratch who is willing to make it to order with the meat you prefer and will even use brown rice over the white rice. I had him make me some with chicken and crawfish yeah I know it's not pork with the brown rice and man it was totally awesome. Once he made mine he sold the extra he made to other customers just to see if it would sell and now it's one of his items he makes regularly not just for me but for some of his other customers. Got to love little whole in the wall places who want that extra business and are willing to go that extra mile to please and generate a customer base.
  • olpbabe
    olpbabe Posts: 89
    Options
    Yep, I'm from right outside NOLA. Very, very hard not to go into the city and indulge every day! Just yesterday we went to a fried seafood place and it killed me to only eat a very small bowl of corn and crab soup with no crackers or bread. But I did it!
  • carlashenell
    carlashenell Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Lafayette. Temptation around every corner. Feel free to add me.