Do you tell?

Options

Replies

• brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I think this subject is different for men and women. I think that it is easier for men to disclose their weight where its a more touchy subject with women. Before I got pregnant and was losing I was very excited and every week I would tell my fiance how much i had lost. He would tell me I was doing/looking great and that was very encouraging to me. Most people wouldnt ask me what I started at or where I was at when they were asking. However, some close girl friends would ask and I would tell them. The response I would get is OMG you are lieing, you werent THAT weight! Now whether or not they really thought that or were just saying that to make me feel good is another story and something only they know lol. I do have every intention of disclosing my starting weight and goal weight and my loss once I get to where I want to be and I am comfortable. I agree with everyone on here that says be proud of what you are doing and where you are from where you were. I also agree that frankly its no ones business where you started either. All that matters is that you are kicking butt and taking names! Keep up the amazing work!
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    :laugh:
    I tell people how much i lost, they wouldnt dare ask what I weighted before, and if they did, i would simply say 74#'s more than i do now. They would get the message.
    :laugh: :laugh: sounds like something i would say
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If people ask, I'll tell them.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When people ask how much weight I've lost and I usually just say "A lot!". I don't really want to advertise how fat I really was. So except for close friends and relatives I tend to keep the numbers to myself.
  • SparkleLisa
    SparkleLisa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I dont like telling anyone what I weigh either! I'll tell how much I've lost, but not what I weigh! My goal is also 155 and having been 235 as my all-time high weight - when my doctor asked me "are you sure you don't want to try for, say, 140?" my response was "well, let me get near 155 and we'll talk about 15 more pounds!" Especially since I haven't seen 155 since right before I got married. And I think I looked great at 155.... heck I'll be ecstatic when I see 179 again! Healthy BMI is a number that is not taylored to an individual anyway and whatever your BMI is right now at 157 is a heck of a lot better than it was at 200+ right?? :)

you're an awesome inspiration by the way!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I don't tell people now, but I probably will when I get to my goal weight or around there.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yes. I tell the truth about my loss and my current weight. I've even just published it on my blog, which is automatically imported into Facebook. Here is what I wrote about it there:
    They are just numbers, and I am divorcing myself from being attached to them. I am much more than my body. So much more than my weight. Every day I make choices that move me toward a healthier, more athletic body. Just as in the past I made choices that moved me toward a rounder, tired, and unhealthy one.

Weight is just information, it's a statistic. It says nothing more about you than height or eye color. What you weigh (what you weighed) says nothing about who you are. And I am now at a place where I refuse to be defined--or feel shame--because my body doesn't look the way I want it to, or the way "they" say it should. So, yes. I used to weigh 225 pounds. I have lost 30 and have 60-ish more to lose. That doesn't make me a bad person. It just is.
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    :) same here!

Like this!
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    same here i havent even told my bf my heaviest weight feel too embaressed 226lbs !! couldnt belkieve i could let myself get that big but i did your doing great! you def dont need to tell anyone your heavist unless u feel comf. doing it
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    same here i havent even told my bf my heaviest weight feel too embaressed 226lbs !! couldnt belkieve i could let myself get that big but i did your doing great! you def dont need to tell anyone your heavist unless u feel comf. doing it
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I tell people how much i lost, they wouldnt dare ask what I weighted before, and if they did, i would simply say 74#'s more than i do now. They would get the message.

agreed...that question is way out of bounds. If someone asks you that just tell them what this person said.

Good for you for losing all that weight...keep it up!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have no problem telling people how much I've lost ... I'm proud of it! And they knew I was fat before, that wasn't a secret!:) Be proud girl, shout it out!!!!!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yes. I tell the truth about my loss and my current weight. I've even just published it on my blog, which is automatically imported into Facebook. Here is what I wrote about it there:
    They are just numbers, and I am divorcing myself from being attached to them. I am much more than my body. So much more than my weight. Every day I make choices that move me toward a healthier, more athletic body. Just as in the past I made choices that moved me toward a rounder, tired, and unhealthy one.

Weight is just information, it's a statistic. It says nothing more about you than height or eye color. What you weigh (what you weighed) says nothing about who you are. And I am now at a place where I refuse to be defined--or feel shame--because my body doesn't look the way I want it to, or the way "they" say it should. So, yes. I used to weigh 225 pounds. I have lost 30 and have 60-ish more to lose. That doesn't make me a bad person. It just is.

HALLELU!! Right there with ya.....
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

I love it!!! Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • journey2lh
    journey2lh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think part of telling is part of getting rid of the shame. This past year I've realized that weight carries a huge power and strength over us. Particularly the number on the scale. So I took that and started just being honest with people. I don't tell just anyone but it's out there for people to find and it's been really empowering. I think for me it's going to be a varied response depending on who is asking. Or even how they are asking.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You guys are ALL FREAKING FANTASTIC!!!!
    Thanks so much for the support and great answers, I appreciate your opinions. And I certainly feel the love!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I will say that I am a little partial to this one:
    Screw it - I tell em I used to be a fat fck and now I am a sort of fat fck 30 pounds skinnier ;)

although I'll change it up to "now I'm just a f***er!" :bigsmile:

Feel free to friend me (with a message please)- I'm always up to support and be supported. :flowerforyou:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been known to accost random people on the street and tell them how much I've lost. It keeps strangers from asking stupid questions and such...
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I don't even tell my BF my current or highest weight!

That goes for me too! And while he supports me greatly, I will probably never tell him my highest weight I am ashamed of it....
    If people ask me how much I have lost I tell them.. they wont figure out how much I was by that because even at my highest weight even my doctor would look at me and say hmm you dont look that big.. (yay for being well proportioned.)
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Very well said! Thank you for this, helps my way of thinking trememdously. :bigsmile:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
    033075 Posts: 5
    Options
    I definitely think its different for females(hope that doesn't sound sexist) but for men I think it's a little easier to discuss, I think just telling elbow much u lost will suffice.