Strength training for Core muscles ideas?

Options
Psyb3r
Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
I'm starting strength training this week in an attempt to help burn some more calories and tone up. I want to work on strengthening my core muscles, but I hate(!) crunches. What are some good core muscle exercises?

Replies

• ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    anything in plank position. Walking push ups, moutain climbers, plank jacks
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I second that planks, planks and more planks :happy:
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    agree with drmomm. anything plank. also, if you have access to a bosu ball, doing other exercises (like squats and lunges) on it will strengthen your core because you must keep it tight to maintain your balance.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    "core" or ab muscles? crunches to me are ab.
    When you say core I think of movements that combine muscle groups, like deadlift, squats, cleans, stuff that takes your entire body to move the weight.
    Squats are probably the best "core" movement you can do. If I could do only one exercise to work my body it would be squats. Back, arms, stomach, legs, shoulders, all get involved.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    lol..seeing the other responses i must have been thinking too much about your question.
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Push-ups, Planks, Leg lifts, any combination movement that forces you to stabilize with your core!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to balance those planks out with some supermans!! Core is more than abs, it's all the way around your midsection. To gain the most benefit from core, you have to build up a good balance in your torso and supporting your spine. A few links for your reading enjoyment.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/core-strength/SM00047

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/a/NewCore.htm
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Planks definitely!
    Also, if you are using a home gym or a real gym for strength training, use the lat pull down machine to work your triceps while standing. I recently discovered that this really works your abs as well as triceps.
    You stand straight up, hold in your stomach, pull the lat bar all the way down so that your arms are perfectly straight then just raise your arms up to about belly button level, and lower them back down.
    hopefully I explained that correctly :smile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Anything that requires you to balance yourself, so try exercise balls, bosu balls.
  • walsh888
    walsh888 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the bosu to stand or sit on while performing other excercises ie. bicep curls...I balance myself on one leg...started out with balancing on both feet....you will find that you have to use your core to balance, not just your leg(s).
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I teach group exercise and I often do standing core work. Knee to elbow and knee to opposite elbow. Posture is key in this. Bring the knee to chest while standing tall and making sure your belly button is drawn into the spine. Also, I do a turbo jam ab workout with the class which they love. Tuck your elbows in, squeeze your butt to isolate it and start digging the elbows towards the hips, next.... alternate opposite elbow to hip making sure the rotation comes at the waist and side to side movement. It is important to do this and not move your hips. I know I said "ab workout", but you are using the whole core in all of these movements.
    Also, the planks are great. Side planks work on the love handles. I think you could get great ideas from YouTube!!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It's called a plank. Position yourself like you're about to do pushups (not the girl-style, knees off the floor). Then lay your forearms on the ground instead of using your hands (so your arms are parallel in front of you fists pointing the same way as top of your head). Then hold it. Yup, just hold it. To start with, 10-15 seconds can feel like an eternity! Rest for 20-30 sec (a bit more only if you're holding for close to a minute, you'll build up to that) and repeat. Do 3-4 sets like this. It works EVERY muscle in your core at once.

Once it got "easy" for me, I balanced my arms on a fitness ball. Then arms on the floor, toes on the ball. Then on to something smaller.

Balance is also good for your core. Yoga's tree pose is a good starter. Or just stand on one foot with other foot up, arms to the sides or on hips, and hold it. Switch sides. When that gets easy, try sitting on a fitness ball (the 65 cm ones I think) and lift your feel. When you can sit cross-legged on a ball and control the wobbles, you're doing good! (And it feels like you're impressive too, lol)
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    For starters...Crunches don't work your core, and there's far more to core training than just planks.

The core is the entire transference connection between your upper and lower body, and is trained completely separately from both. It doesn't matter how strong you are at the extremeties, if you're weak in the middle, you'll have very little functional strength.

Complete core training involves full body movements that demand the use of multiple stabilizers through the mid-section in order to maintain balance through a complete range of motion, while activating the deep stabilizers to grow as your support network.

Pushups with your hands on a swiss ball, would be one example of an exercise that demands full body coordination through the entire range of motion.

Beginner core fundamentals are grown off the following:

1) Front Plank - 2 sets of 5-8 reps of 10 seconds each....concentrating on perfect body alignment and complete form.
    2) Single leg stand - Close your eyes and place your hands on your hips and stand on one leg for 60 seconds. Not as easy as you might think.
    3) Cross Arm Supermans - Begin on your hands an knees. At the same time, raise your right arm and your left leg until you're holding them parallell to the floor. Hold for 3 seconds then slowly lower back to start. Repeat the same with your left arm and right leg. This forces the cross body stabilizers to work together in holding balance through the contractions.

Give that a shot and you'll be on your way to a good foundation.

Note: Core training is no different than any other muscle group so you need a day between workouts to rest and gain strength.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    planks
    t-pushups
    standing knee to elbows
    dragon flags
    (and all the big compound exercises mentioned earlier)
  • mom2jacob
    mom2jacob Posts: 54
    Options
    bumping to reread later