is there any diabetics on here ----

Options
I have recently been dianosed with diabetes and am having a hard time figuring out what to eat for lunch and breakfast so i have enough carbs and fat left to eat with my family at dinner and eat almost the same as them taken out potatoes and pasta. ON the topice of pasta i heard that whole grain is better and that u can eat it but when i looked on the back there was just as many carbs. Any suggestions. Im goin to a new pcp tomorrow so maybe i can get into a dietian but till then any help will be greatly appreiciated

Replies

• heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I was prediabetic before. but since following Primal Bllueprint my tests are normal.why don't you fill up on proteins - why on carbs? Carbs are worst emnemy for diabetics. eat more meat and veg/fruit!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    look up foods with a low glycemic load...
  • MoMoDaCHiN
    MoMoDaCHiN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm type 1 and if you are going to eat pasta and potatoes, eat wheat pasta and sweet potatoes. For me these do not affect my blood sugar like white potatoes or regular pasta. Then it just comes down to serving size.
  • betterlife2011
    Options
    thank you for the advice my problem is my old docter which i found out is a nut lol told me to eat only 90 carbs a day and 40 fat and thats it i dont know what kinds of carbs im aloud because people ask if im aloud fruit and vegis but they have carbs so im hoping my new docter knows something and can send me to a dietian thanx again keep it comin lol all is welcomed bad or good
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Are you a type 2 Diabetic??? If so, are you interested in reversing your condition????????

http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/qt/locarbdiabetes.htm
    Does a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic reduced calorie diet.

Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org