Calories after Surgery?

Options
I had surgery today to remove a baseball sized mass on my left ovary. NOT cancer, yay!

I was wondering, should I up my calorie intake during the following days since my body is in the process of healing? I am unable to exercise for at least one week, possibly two.

so any suggestions would be very helpful!

Replies

• MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I would just continue to eat healthy and heal and thats wonderful news btw :flowerforyou:
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes you should. Also, increase your protein and water. Don't rush back into anything. Go slow and follow your doctors orders. I am glad it was not cancer!!! Best wishes to you! Take care of yourself now so you can take care of yourself down the road! :flowerforyou:
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I am having a hysterectomy next week and have been asking around the same question. My surgery will be internal, no external cutting so minimally invasive in itself so kinda the same boat as you. I have been told to take it down to 1200 solid calories, like all good food, lots of fruit and veggies and no crap while you can't exercise. Hope we are both back to kickin it soon. Get well soon!:flowerforyou:
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I highly highly doubt you need to add calories, but I would definitely add protein and drink plenty of water.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I had surgery today to remove a baseball sized mass on my left ovary. NOT cancer, yay!

I was wondering, should I up my calorie intake during the following days since my body is in the process of healing? I am unable to exercise for at least one week, possibly two.

so any suggestions would be very helpful!

I had surgery 5 weeks ago to remove a 18 cm cyst and right ovary... I feel for ya!! I really didn't want to eat much for like a week after surgery. I just kept drinking water (tons of it). I ate maybe 600 calories a day for a week just because I felt like crud. Im sure you will be fine with your regular intake. Rest up and feel better soon!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Such great news, thank goodness!! I've usually found that i lose alot of my appetite after surgery, but would stick to lighter eating as you're healing, but try to listen to what your body is telling you most of all. If you have pain, I would try to concentrate on foods easier to digest. Def lots of water and fresh veggies and fruits ALWAYS a great idea.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    What Crystaltrjeo said! I had a laproscopic hysterectomy last year and I made sure I didn't over do the calories during recovery. You have to take it easy, follow doc's orders and eat good, well balanced food. No junk. I did a lot of drinking ice water on the porch. I gained one pound during my recovery, so I think I did well.
    Glad to hear you were one of the lucky ones who didn't have cancer!!!
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! since I won't be able to exercise at all I think I'll just bump my calories down and make sure I eat tons of fruits, veggies, fiber and protein. thanks again!