Replacing my South Beach Protein Fit bars

Options
torregro
torregro Posts: 307
I LOVE South Beach Protein Fit bars and have them daily, but they have been pulled from the shelves of all my local stores, and I need a replacement. I've tried a lot of commercial bars, but either they don't fit into my 10/20/30 fat, protein, carb plan, or I find them merely palatable and not something I'd look forward to.
I've tried a couple of recipes online, but so far I've spent a lot of money on ingredients and still not come up with anything I'd call a success.

I guess I'm looking for a basic cereal bar recipe with a high protein count that I can tweak by adding different dried fruits and nuts, etc. I'd love to NOT have to buy a ton of new ingredients since I've already spent a fortune on stuff that I'm probably never going to use again already. Does anyone have a great high protein CRUNCHY cereal bar recipe that they've actually tried and liked?
Thanks for any help.

Replies

• sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have made these several times. I use a sugar free soy protein from GNC (10.00/ tub) regular peanut butter and almonds about 300 calories. I think they are pretty good. This last time I added more apple sauce which made them moister.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5598696_make-high-protein-granola-bars.html
    How to Make Low Sugar, High Protein Granola Bars
    By Athena Hessong, eHow Contributor

4 egg whites, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup peanut butter, no sugar added
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 cup protein powder, no sugar added
    2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon (optional)
    1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
    3 cups old fashioned oats
    1 1/2 cups mixed roasted nuts and seeds (e.g., sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews)
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Try purchasing them online, you might have to buy a box of bars, I had to do this when ny local store stopped selling my favourite noodle meals

Just an idea
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars are very good most are 17 -21 grams of protein.
  • torregro
    Options
    Try purchasing them online, you might have to buy a box of bars, I had to do this when ny local store stopped selling my favourite noodle meals

Just an idea

According to their site, South Beach is "reimagining" their product line....................whatever that means! LOL My hope is that they'll bring the bars back when they get done "reimagining". There's also the issue that the bars online are more than DOUBLE the price of the bars in the stores, and that's before shipping. I guess that's why I'd like to make my own.
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just google what flavors your like in your protien bars. I have tried the one above. A pumpkin one which is like a desert. And a banana chocolate one which is yummy. All of them had less sugar and were cheaper then buying them.
  • torregro
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe suggestion, and I'll give it a try.
    I have googled and looked at dozens and dozens of recipes, but many/most of them are either much to high in carbohydrates, or don't end up crunchy, which is what I'm wanting. I can tweak the ingredients to try and get closer to my desired 10/20/30, but I guess what I'm looking for is a way to end up with something like rice krispy treats without the marshmallows and all the butter. ;-)
    I NEED the bars to be flavorful and CRUNCHY! Oh.........and if they wouldn't melt and get nasty in the heat of summer that would be a plus!