Help!!! Shin splints!!!

Options
Hello,

Okay...I need some help. Every time my motivation is up and I'm ready to go...Today my mind said go and my legs just laughed!!! Painful shin splints while trying to run today. Has anyone experience this? What causes this? And how can I get rid of them?

Please help! Any advice would be helpful

Replies

• thestarsweare
    thestarsweare Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I only had shin splints once, and I don't know what caused it, but someone on one of these boards suggested to write the alphabet with my big toe -- and it worked! I did the alphabet twice with each foot and the pain just completely disappeared! Maybe that will help you too. Hope you feel better soon :)
  • amycooper1012
    Options
    OUCH!

1.start with a new pair of shoes
    have you been in your shoes longer than 500 miles?
    try getting fitted shoes from a running store. ex. cincinnati. bob ronkers running spot

2.ICE..(freeze a paper cup and tear off top a quarter of an inch..massage your shins.

3. Calf and Foot stretches
  • melissa97
    melissa97 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i got them the first time i attempted running and 5 months later am still sore. i can run a little more but if any pressure gets on my shins or if they get bumped it hurts soo bad. i can only run aobut .40 of a mile without taking a walking break which i always do some stretching. Also i was told by my dr if you dont have proper shoes with a proper fit it can cause shin splints and other leg/feet discomforts.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    From my understanding......doing too much too fast. And, yes, they can hurt like Billie-O.

One exercise I've seen (and tried) is walking on your heels while barefoot. 30 seconds on, 30 off for a few minutes. Supposed to strengthen the connection between tendon and bone in your shins.

Give running a break while they heal. Start slow.

1horsetown
  • aishel
    aishel Posts: 3
    Options
    Agreed that you need to be fitted! I used to dread running because of shin splints. After finally giving in and going to a specialized running store, I found out that when I run, I supinate my feet (run on the outsides of my feet), and my shoes were just exacerbating the problem. They fitted me with shoes that actually correct the problem and what a difference! No pain when I run! (just gasping and wheezing from being out of shape). And they were only $105!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Lots of good information.

http://health.yahoo.net/channel/shin-splints.html

I was able to work my way into it. Walking actually seemed to do me in worse than jogging. Weird.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i had these horribly...couple of things that you can do...
    1. get fitted for running shoes, go to a running specialty store and get the exact shoe that you need to be in...
    2. Stretch and warm up walking before every run.
    3. you can use ibuprophen before running to help with pain and swelling.
    4. increase gradually, increase no more than .10 miles per week.
    i started running in November by December i was ready to quit i hurt so bad but i was just doing the wrong things. i started the c25k program and now i run around 4 miles 3-4 times a week and i live for my time running.. good luck hope this helps ///
  • andisue50
    andisue50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of trouble with shin splints. Making sure you have good shoes is very important. I would recommend going to a place where they will actually analyze your stride and fit you with running shoes. Also, don't increase your training too fast. I have trouble with just one side because I have one leg longer than the other. I actually bought one of the Zensah Calf Sleeve and it has made a huge difference. I haven't had shin splints since I got it. If you continue having problems you may consider that option.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I get horrible shin splints!

Causes:
    1. Improper fitting shoe- did you buy your shoes bc they were cute/on sale/whateve or did you get properly fitted from a running company?

2. You are an inexpereienced runner and haven't build up yet. Slow down, go slow. Rest

3. You are just prone to shin splints- which is me- and you can tape or wear compression sleeves.
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Have to throw in for the shoes as well. Just keep in mind, they probably will be a bit more expensive, but well worth the price. I'm 5'8'', 225, but I have just completed my second half marathon and the Broad Street 10 Miler. Couldn't have done any of these without proper shoes!

But now that you have them, ice and rest will help tremendously. Do not try to come back to quick. I had them beginning of this year and switched to water jogging and other cardio means until they healed.
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    agreed with the above advice.

1: ALWAYS stretch thoroughly before AND after a run.

2: Don't do too much, too soon.

3: Use the first aid RICER post running
    R- Rest (rest after your run)
    I- Ice (apply ice to the affected areas) Perhaps try 20 minutes on, 2 hours off or something. Check out an athletics page for more details.
    C- Compression (use compression bandages/tubes/socks, you can buy them pretty cheap from your local chemist or phsyio)
    E- Eleveation (Elevate your injury)
    R- Repeat (Repeat RICE)

It is also very advisable to have running shoes properly fitted for the type of activity you are doing- ie: road running, trail running etc, and to have them in good working order with plenty of cushioning. Bad shoes= bad for your body !

Before a run I

1) Stretch thoroughly
    2) Apply deep heat to my shins and calves
    3) Apply compression socks
    3) Stretch again
    4) Have my protein shake
    5) Go for a run
    6) Stretch thoroughly
    7) Eat something, preferably high in protein
    8) Shower
    9) RICER- if I am experiencing pain.

and that just about does the trick every time- For my shins anyway :)

God luck!
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome, i.e shin splints happen when a lot of force is put on the shin bone. Running/jogging downhill a lot can contribute to them.
    Its extremely important to stop when you have shin splints. They will only get worse. Even pro athletes have to take a break. I've had them a lot and mine were really painful, and made it hard to even get off the treadmill. Even walking hurt. I don't do anything serious, usually just jog 3 or 4 miles a couple times a week.
    Also, if you are on a treadmill make sure its at least a 0.5 incline, because otherwise its slightly downhill.
    I've heard duck-walking helps. Walk on your heal with your legs slightly out in front of you and your toes up.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump - good information
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints are caused by a variety of reasons. Bad form, poor or worn out footwear, running on hard or uneven surfaces or excessive usage.

How old are your shoes? Anything with over 300 miles should be pitched. Running involves wear out and stop supporting your foot properly.

Are they the right shoes? Everyone walks, or runs differently. Don't go with cheap shoes either. You inflict a great deal of impact, bargain basement shoes don't hold up. Go to a professional running shop (Running Room, Fleet Feet etc) and have them assess your Gait. The will tell you which shoes are appropriate for you and why (do you pronate, do you suppinate or are you neutral, do you need Motion Control, Stability, or Neutral shoes) You may pay a little extra for shoes, but thats better than a lot of extra pain and the eventual quitting of running.

Moving right along, How much are you running? and how fast did you get there? Shin Splints are often called an overusage injury. Usually comes from people doing to much too soon. You should never increase your mileage by no more than 10% per week. If you do 10 miles this week, you should only do 11 next week, 12.1 the week after.

For treatment, Take a dixie cup, fill it with water and freeze it. Four times a day, take it and massage your shins where it hurts for 15 minutes at a time. Also dig your thumbs in and massage the area. If it hurts alot... congrats, you are doing it right. Deep tissue massage is very helpful in helping to heal the shin splint. You could also look into a foam roller or "the stick" for massaging the area.

Prevention -> Cut back your running until the shin splints are gone and try to run on softer level surfaces. I would suggest using an elliptical for the next week or finding some other cardio while they heal up.

When you are ready to start running again, do some warm ups for about 5 minutes to make sure your muscles are properly warmed up (jumping jacks, walking etc), then do some dynamic stretching. When you are ready to run, be prepared to listen to your body. Don't ignore it. Ignoring it could lead to worse shin splints, stress fractures or compression syndrome.

When you finish your workout, it is very important to do static stretching. This helps the muscles heal and retain their elasticity after a workout. It keeps them from tightening up.

Finally, it doesn't hurt after the workout, after the stretching to do a simple course of R.I.C.E. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

I would also recommend that you get moving as soon after your workout as possible...(after the R.I.C.E) Go for a walk, stretch the legs and keep moving. It helps to get blood flowing thru the strained areas and speeds up healing.

Good Luck!
  • Divatime
    Divatime Posts: 33
    Options
    Wow! This is all very helpful information!!! Since I am just getting started...I have read a number of things that I am doing wrong or not doing. I am going to try getting fitted for new shoes...I did this before and it helped a little. The ones I have now are perhaps a little too cutesy...Nike lunar glide I believe and I've had them since Dec. Christmas gift! I also need to stretch a little better. I will try ice my shins, not doing too much too fast...which I will have a hard time trying to do...cuz right now...I just want my body to go! Glad this is a common issue but I don't wish it on anyone...I was almost hopping today.

All very very good advice!!! Thank you so much for your help! :bigsmile:
  • Dancinblind
    Dancinblind Posts: 26
    Options
    Oddly enough I'm having the same problem. Till I picked up the phone and called a local running store that offered gait analysis. I went in this afternoon after work and found out that my posterior shin splints were the result of an over pronation in my gait. My foot was rolling inward and could be corrected by a better pair of motion stabilizing running shoes.

Additionally, he told me that at around 3 to 4 weeks (where I am at now), many runners will start having issues with shin splints even if they didn't have them before (like myself). Many times this has to do with the enlargement of the calf muscles from the work out causing the stretching of the fascia (a sheath of fiberous tissue surrounding the muscles). Many times the calves will develope faster then the fascia and what you are feeling is the streching against your tibia.

By no means is this information a subsitute for medical advice. However, if you are running frequently and experiancing this, your best bet is to have a gait analysis performed to see if you are having any issues with pronation and if your gait could be corrected with new running shows or othotics. If it is not you gait, and you are at that one month mark, take it a little easier and definately make sure you stretch before and after your run. Also, cold compresses work wonders :o) Best of Luck!!
  • Divatime
    Divatime Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you for sharing about your gait analysis!!! I may try that too. I am at the 4 week point of continuous 1 hr/run walk sessions. I've never why right when I get going this happens...

Thanks so much again for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the c25k program.. when i started running last fall i was about ready to quit between the chin splints and hurting so bad,,, i started this program and i was able to do it right.... it's called couch to 5k c25k.. there ap downloads available it has you run /walk in segments so that you build up your endurance over 8 weeks. there are a bunch of threads on here of people doing the program what week they are in and so forth, i had allready been running a while when i started the program but i still started at the beginning and used it to rehab from the injuries i had caused my legs by trying to overdo it. check it out it may be the answer your looking for.. :) good luck.
  • mpchaplin
    mpchaplin Posts: 19
    Options
    I used to get really bad shin splints as well and I went on YouTube and looked up some exercises you can do to strengthen and stretch your calves and I haven't had shin splints since. Usually it is a combination of duck walking (walking on your heel with your toes in the air pointed straight, toward the inside, and toward the outside). Also, I read in one fitness magazine that you put your feet together and press them together as hard as you can for 15 seconds, then relax, and repeat.

I think it has a lot to do with being new to running/jogging and having poor shoes or poor form. After I read a few articles on how my foot was supposed to strike (I was a horrible heel striker before I read a few running articles) I also stopped having problems. Unfortunately I was so frustrated by my shin splits I did all of these things at once so I don't know if it all helped or if it was just one of these things.

Don't get discouraged though! I used to get them and now I don't!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    increase gradually, increase no more than .10 miles per week.

Hmm... 0.10 miles is only 528 feet -- less than 200 yards! Although this errs on the side of caution (which can be a good thing, if you're having problems), the number I've always seen is 10 *percent* -- that is, increase your mileage by no more than 10% each week...! :wink:

Diva -- one other thing to keep in mind is that shin splints are caused by the stress of the pounding your lower legs take when you run. It's manageable, but believe it or not, your bones need to get in shape to handle this, just as much as your muscles do! In fact, your muscles will begin to adapt to it quicker than your bones do (I think I've read that it takes a couple of months for your bones to adapt and strengthen!). A couple of thoughts: when you run, are you a "heel striker"? (That is, do you plant your heel at each step and then roll your foot forward?) Also, when you run, do you thump the ground pretty hard? (In other words, do you run lightly, or do you hear your feet thumping the ground?) Both of these can aggravate shin splints, but you can correct these by paying attention to what you're doing and focusing on not thumping so hard!

Good luck!!!

(Oh -- and the "writing the alphabet with your toes" thing is a good exercise, too! don't save it for just your post-run cool-down, though! Do it a few times each day, maybe while you're sitting at your desk: it'll help strengthen muscles and aid in the fight against shin splints!!!)