Who likes to bake?

Options
2»

Replies

• hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to bake. Luckily I have 2 sweet toothed toddlers, a tween and a husband who will willingly eat it all for me. I am glad I love to bake because its either I bake it, or we don't have it at all due to food allergies in the toddlers. They can't have store bought muffins or cookies or cake. Yesterday I made them whole wheat strawberry rhubarb muffins. YUM.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I love to bake in general and I do cake decorating as a hobby. I've done several wedding cakes and have a few cakes coming up. It's funny though, by the time I have the thing done I have no desire to eat it! I have one piece and I'm done. We recently had an anniversary cake I made for our church and ended up bringing home an entire 8" round that was leftover. I had one piece and to be honest, I really didn't even want it. (Not sure why I ate it!) It was Caramel Apple cake and it's a favorite of everyone who tastes it but by the time I was done making it I didn't want any. Frosting immersion works well for me I guess. I'm so sick of the smell of sugar that I don't even want a taste.

I do find myself being more creative with other cooking to compensate for not baking all the time though. I make smoothies and dinner foods and have gotten much more adventurous with the things I make. I'm able to create foods my family likes but that aren't damaging to my health. :)

I also knit and crochet so some of my creativity has been transferred to those activities. Works well because I still get to be creative, can make things for other people and the bonus is, when I'm knitting I can't snack! I knit a lot while watching a movie with the hubs!

I just wanted to add that this is a blog I especially like for baking things that are a little more in line with how my family is trying to eat. I've made a few things on here and while they aren't exactly like traditional baked goods they're tasty enough that my snobby family likes them. I made my son the chocolate cake for his birthday. I used her frosting too and added sliced strawberries to the layers along with some buttercream. I put fresh strawberries on top and drizzled the whole thing with a little chocolate syrup and promised my son that we'd go out for ice cream if it was nasty. Whole family loved it!

Here's the site: http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/2009/05/healthy-chocolate-cake-with-secret.html
  • rockthehourglass
    rockthehourglass Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    LOVE to bake but it's hard to control myself when I have yummies in the house. Here's what is working for me. First, I'm baking things that are a little healthier. Skinnytaste.com has some great recipes. Second, I immediately gift as much as I can to neighbors and friends. Third, I freeze most of the rest (depending on what it is) so it's out of sight, and I can defrost a little at a time. I made some AMAZING scones last night from the skinnytaste site, had one, sent a few downstairs and the rest are in the freezer.
  • californialemon
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic similar to this!

My friend and I are bakers and we get cake orders from co-workers, church members, schools, etc. But we're not totally pro yet so when we bake, we are constantly experimenting with the flavors. You know "try the frosting with THIS much vanilla, okay now try it with THIS much vanilla" and so on until we're satisfied with the product.

I can only imagine how many calories that racks up in 2 days of baking :(
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Whenever I bake I always make sure to only make half or a quarter of the recipie. That way, when I eventually give in and pig out, it only lasts one day in stead of a week....

I bake cookies, muffins and gooey chocolate cake.

I also usually end up adding more sugar than it says in the recipie... -_-; I've been trying to stop though.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I love baking, but I don't like sweet things, so I always find I have cakes lying around going stale and I eventually have to throw them away.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    :sad: i love to bake and cook!! since i started my new lifestyle i havent done much of each though.