PointsPlus vs. Calories

Options
azsky
azsky Posts: 5 Member
I am a long-time Weight Watchers member (at my Lifetime goal) and want to experiment using calories instead of PointsPlus. After having done MFP for one week, I have to say I really really impressed with the site itself as well as the relative ease of counting calories. I am down 2 pounds and would like to drop another 10. This should be interesting since I am hooked on Weight Watchers, especially when it comes to attending the weekly meetings.

Replies

• ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I left WW when I found this site. I still think in terms of points but I'm getting better. After all, it's only been a week! Welcome :)
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    I'm a WW gal myself & decided to try moving onto this site. While WW does a decent job of helping you lose weight, I got really confused once they switched from Points to PointsPlus. Counting calories is just so much more simpler!
  • Kristy0728
    Kristy0728 Posts: 63
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds with WW. I left WW, couldn't continue on my own. went back when they started their PointsPlus, then found this sight and left again. I have to say, I have only been at it a week, but I LOVE it. It always drove me nuts that I didn't know exactly how many calories I ate a day. Welcome! :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Calories for sure! I used to do ww years ago lost loads but couldn't maintain it. Mfp reminds me of the old points system and exercise equalling bonus points. Plus its free! I lost 17lbs last year through the old system but it was very slow. I joined mfp in jan and was down 21lbs in 3 months. Plus its free and easy to maintain
  • CBaumgardner7
    CBaumgardner7 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you all. I did WW and lost 150lbs and did wonderful. But, with kids and not finding time to go to meetings, I found this site and it's a wonderful blessing. It's hard because I still think in points but now I'm trained in calories and carbs and all the other fun stuff. I love logging in my exercise...it's like an addiction for me to do. :) Feel free to add me if you'd like..being old WW members!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Essentially both WW and MFP achieve their magic through the same things: controlling portions and food choices, balancing out your foods, decreasing caloric intake, and improving exercise. Neither encourage fad foods or diet plans, and neither encourage weird stuff. (I call eating only one or two kinds of foods weird because I won't eat like that the rest of my life, and I want to learn how to eat for the rest of my life.)

WW offers in-person support. MFP is over the internet. WW uses points, which (in my opinion) mask the reality of looking at food as fuel and not as love, and (in my opinion) make it difficult to know what's going on. MFP is more direct and less subtle about what you're doing.

With that said, it should be what works for you. I've done WW, and it worked to get me down 10 pounds three years ago. I couldn't maintain it because I couldn't afford it and because keeping a point tab up-and-running just proved (for me) to be burdensome. MFP + my smartphone encourages me to put stuff in right away or to see stuff right away, and over time it has helped steer me to better choices without the complications of fats+proteins+sugars-fiber calculations.

MFP has been a godsend, but at the time, so was WW.

So - do what works.

I will say that WW has great ads on TV.
  • KIMBELKOWSKI
    KIMBELKOWSKI Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was a WW member for a long time...thought it was the best program ever...until I started using this web site!!! This has been the best tool for me personally. I find it very easy to use and all the tools you have at WW are all within this site as well. The meetings are a great support but there are TONS of wonderful people on here and the support is outstanding!!! I wish I had known about this site way a long time ago!!!
  • grammy59
    grammy59 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been doing both but gave up on counting points while doing the calorie counting. Still go to WW meetings for now. Have made lots of friends and huge network support going weekly. However, when I cant make it to the meeting MFP is there. It is a great tool. I am just at a stand still for the last 4 wks. Kind of discouraging but found that I need to reduce my salt intake.
    Maybe next weigh-in will be better. :smile:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It sounds like WW may be backtracking soon on the P+ plan. I'm not losing as much as I expected on WW. I promised myself to give it six months, but now I wish I'd agreed to only three! Lol, breaking a promise to myself!
    glad you all posted here, it gives me plenty to think about. I dont have time to post at Ww and mfp, for tracking that is. I will try a few days to see how my calories add up. I have a feeling P+ is giving me more cals than. MFP.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    This may have already been mentioned.. I didn't read all posts. WW seems to work for so many people but I'm not sure how the Points Plus system is a healthy alternative for weight loss. Making fruits and veggies "free" food seems like a great idea- however... the goal should be to make fruits and veggies most or nearly all of what you're eating (aside from meat and eggs) so to me it seems like the points plus program is encouraging eating more processed foods. Just my thoughts!
  • bankerangie
    bankerangie Posts: 17
    Options
    I have been doing WW and just joined MFP. This site seems to be much easier. I can keep track of my calories without having to get out my point calculator and figure out how many points something is.