Please look at my typical day...

Options
This is today's food...no exercise today besides a small amount of strength training. I am constantly over on carbs and sugar.

I would love for some of the veterans around here to look at this and let me know what I could/should change to help.

I hardly ever get much past 1200-1300 on calories. Unless I eat out...like last night. Then I go way over on sodium, calories, everything... I only do this maybe 2-3 meals a month.

Book1-1-2.jpg

Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Try the Bagel Thins--should cut your carbs and sugars down. If you want some ideas, take a peek at my diary. I am not the best all the time, but i try to keep my carbs and sugars as low as possible.
  • LadyKP
    LadyKP Posts: 31
    Options
    I think firstly you are eating a lot of stuff from a package, and that will kill you on sodium. You are using dressing and sauces that are also sodium and sugar filled. Are there different sauces or dressings that you could have or prepare that would save you from the extra 'bad stuff'? I generally use oil and vinegar, mustard, or sarache chili sauce. If you look up "eat this, not that", they should show you some basic swaps that will help you with such things. You are on the right track, but refining a diet is part of the process. Good luck!
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some more protein (hard boiled eggs, nuts, cheese) to up your calories? I'm definitely no expert, but I don't think I would do well without some more protein. Good luck!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    Here are several quick suggestions:

Try to get a vegetable in to every meal (yes, even breakfast), and in at least one snack.

Go cold turkey on the white carbs- no bagels, bread, potatoes, white rice, etc.

Eat a full serving of lean protein at every meal (4 oz of meat or fish, 6 oz of beans or legumes.)

Find new grains to eat, like quinoa or amaranth, that have a better nutritional profile.

Go for the most intensely colored vegetables, so no iceburg lettuce. Try mescaline mix greens, peppers, broccoli, winter squash, or any other colorful vegetable (and the same for fruits, generally.)

And lastly, eat a net of 1200-1400 calories daily to get the nutrition your body needs to operate and recover from exercise. Going under 1200 occasionally is ok, but don't make a habit of it, and don't fill the void with empty calories.
  • emseedubya
    emseedubya Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's those salad dressings that are killing you in the sugar department. And the bagel things, but really the dressings are really high in sugar! I'd suggest replacing your salad dressings you're currently using with a home-made balsamic and vinegar one. As far of the carbs go, 22 of those carbs are pure sugar from your salad dressing! So that's just a super easy fix right there.

I am a HUGE carb lover, so I don't advocate giving up carbs completely. Replacing your current breakfast with something like avocado on a peice of wholegrain toast and instead of chips as a snack having a protein shake instead (which will keep you feeling fuller for much longer) will cut down on a further 12 carbs. So, add that to the 16 carbs you saved from changing salad dressings and you're saving 28 carbs a day over all, that easily. It's the little changes that make the biggest difference at the end of the day!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    My only comment is the number of things with the word "honey" in the description. That's where the sugar is coming from.

Edit - also I see your apple had 19 grams of sugar. I eat cox apples, which only have about 6 grams per apple. You could try switching?
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas folks! Thanks so much!

I do see emseedubya's point on the dressings...I guess I need to start making my own dressings. I will also be looking for lower carb apples too - thanks fteale!!

givprayz, I am just unable to cut out all carbs...I love me some bread!!! LOL I will try to cut some of them out though.

3kidsin3years, I do love hard boiled eggs...and cheese (I could eat it every meal). Thanks!