running rut?

Options
gooberr4
gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
so i've been feeling really sluggish when running lately. I used to do 3-5 miles when running but now i feel like I can't run past 2.5 miles. There's no pain, it just feels hard. Also i have my first 5k in about 2 weeks. I think what might be the underlying cause is that I ran a 5k on the treadmill in 29 minutes (1 minute under my goal time) but since i started training outside mostly, i don't know if i can do it again. also, i've been stressed at work and i'm sure the rainy weather isn't helping. any suggestions for getting out of this slump?

Replies

• Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Take a break for a day or two...then cowgirl up and "git r done"!?
  • clhiter
    clhiter Posts: 74
    Options
    make sure your diet has the energy required. also go for your preworkout snack to give you that energy burst. this is typical is season changing time too since now you may have pollen, humidity etc kicking in.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    The increasingly warmer weather and humidity makes running harder for everyone, and the only solution is to keep running outside, doing what you can, until you acclimate, and then wait for fall to get here :-) I've raced in spring/summer/fall, and everyone's time goes up over the summer - even acclimated, you just can't do as much or as fast when it gets hot and humid. And while running indoors on a treadmill is a great workout, it won't help you acclimate, so run outside when you can (early morning or evenings as it gets hotter), and hydrate-hydrate-hydrate. The good news is, if you run through the summer, you'll see your times miraclulously get better when fall gets here :-)