Plateaus

Options
Any advice from anyone on how to avoiding plateauing for a long period of time??? Whether personal experience or just tips you've read, I'm open to anything.... As of right now I'm still losing, but I think that plateau is sitting just around the corner, stalking me in all its evilness. :tongue: :grumble:

Replies

• BetterVersion
    Options
    Any advice from anyone on how to avoiding plateauing for a long period of time??? Whether personal experience or just tips you've read, I'm open to anything.... As of right now I'm still losing, but I think that plateau is sitting just around the corner, stalking me in all its evilness. :tongue: :grumble:
  • emikarls
    emikarls Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    i just bumped something for you to read by banks.
  • piperelliott
    Options
    Good on you for thinking ahead! Plateaus happen and it can be hard to push through. The consistent theme of everything I've read on the topic is to keep changing things up, both in diet and in excercise. You've got to fool your body over and over. That's mentally challenging because it forces you to move away from something soon after you become comfortable with it. Ouch!

WRT exercise, you'll want to mix up different forms of cardio & resistance (weight) training. If all you do is walk for exercise, you will plateau (just ask my wife!). If you can mix in cycling, stair climbing, or running for cardio you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Throw in some weight training a couple days a week if you can. I think that's especially valuable for women. Nothing big, just get some dumbells and do it at home. (The Body Sculpting for Women book has some great tips on that subject).

WRT diet, one way to fool your body so it doesn't go into starvation mode is to eat smaller amounts of food more often throughout the day. Eat one of those meals after you exercise if possible so you're tapping into your fat reserves during your workout but you're giving your body what it craves afterwards.

As I said, there's plenty of literature available on this subject. I've had to deal with plateaus, and it's very frustrating at times. I actually don't think that you can avoid them completely, but I do believe that you can minimize them if you take specific action to combat the problem.

I wish you the great success!
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    it does not have to sitting around the corner. Plan things out I have things mapped for the year and break things down into 3 months at a time this keeps plateus away, plan some down time. some of the best things that people that i know that do this even plan there softball league so there having fun and still getting some exesices.
  • roshong06
    Options
    I would like to know more about this subject too...I started a few months ago...Lost 5 lbs right off the bat, I have not changed my eating habits and I do mix up my work out routine daily, and I not only gained all those lbs back, I have been at a platau ever since and can not lose anymore weight.

I have heard that if you try to "start over" with a completly new diet and work out habit, it will help...I've also heard that you should eat 6 apples in one day with nothing else but water all day...Just the apples, and it will act as a cleanser to your body? I have not tried it b/c honestly it doesn't sound like a desirable way to go about this, but that is what I've heard.

By the way, smart of you to think ahead and prepare yourself for what may come. :wink: