figuring values in local mexican food

Options
genthel
genthel Posts: 59 Member
Can you all please share how you determine nutritional values in the small locally owned mexican restaurants? Some things are easy to figure but a lot are not.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If I eat out, I just look for the closest thing I can find in the database and log this. I know it's not completely accurate but it does give me an idea of what I'm eating and how much wine I can fit in!
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    here is one on here called Don Pablos I think... something along those lines... I can usually match up something close to what they have at our local mexican place here.... I have had to slack off on it a lot though I guess maybe it is the sodium because I can eat there and not go overboard and still gain 3 lbs the next day!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just ate half an order of Carne Asada fries. I was wondering the calories, then thought i was better off not knowing.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I look for the closest too and always go a bit higher than what I think, I would rather go bigger on food calories and lower on exercise calories if unsure.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    well first off i realize that what i come up with won't be entirely accurate....:huh:

then, I just sorta dissect the meal in my mind and guess on portions (I try to practice at home) like 1 cup refried beans, 1 cup rice, probably 6oz chicken etc

then i go to database and try to find similar matches.....:sad:

it is hard! but better than nothing :ohwell:
  • paulhood
    paulhood Posts: 30
    Options
    You can try to figure out what [approximately] the main caloric ingredients are in the dish and create a recipe and possibly get a better estimate. Also, its probably best to assume that most or all (local, chain, whatever unless otherwise specified) use non-lean meats and load up on butter/oils and such. It's just a fact of life that those things make food taste better. Another big one is sugar. It's surprising how many things have it, and then when you aren't surprised it has it you would be surprised at how much more they would add to make it "better". I would also suggest drinking lots of water and possibly just order water with your meal because they are probably loaded with extra salt to make them even more "yummy". The water will help keep you from getting bloated and retaining too much water. Don't eat there late at night either. Harder to flush out the salt and retained water so your next morning's weigh in will be hell on your brain.

You can only do so much….just do the best that you can and be as honest with yourself as possible. It will be worth it.
  • midmomike2
    midmomike2 Posts: 213
    Options
    I will often try to find a similar menu item on a national chain restaurants nutritional info( usually from the MFP database). For example, a local restaurant here is El Tapatio....obviously won't find anything for them, but will find similar food items/entrees listed for Taco Bueno, which is all over. Hope this helps! good luck!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's easier with a chain than a local restaurant, but have you tried asking them there? Many places have nutritional info available upon request. But, if it's a small (single location) restaurant and especially if the proprietors don't speak really good English, it's harder.
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    I use this link as reference for mexican food

http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/mexican.html
  • Cnava01
    Cnava01 Posts: 37
    Options
    In the past I have done a good amount of google searching for restaurant recipes with the nutrition facts and go based on that. Hope that might help you a little bit.