to eat or not to eat? exercise cals

Options
Does everyone eat their exercise calories?
It said my calorie intake for today should be 1,849. That seems ungodly high. Not that I have any problem eating nearly 2,000 calories, I just feel like its too much in order to lose weight and that this website isn't completely accurate.

Has anyone had success not meeting their calorie goal and still losing weight? and vice versa?

Replies

• sexylily
    sexylily Posts: 68
    Options
    U CAN SET UR OWN GOAL! THE COMPUTER IS GENERIC SO PERSONILIZE IT TO UR LIKES
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all of them.
    I'm losing weight steadily.
    I know it's counter intuitive but your body needs good fuel to work with and stay healthy.

You will find many many threads about this, start with the ones that are pinned to the top of this topic.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I don't!
  • Rebecca1025
    Rebecca1025 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back half of the the calories I have burned. This prevents me from having the carb cravings and the snack attacks. Make sure the calories you eat back are high protein.
  • dragonz11
    dragonz11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i dont eat mine never have and i have lost 18lb ( 8.2kgs)
  • mychirona
    mychirona Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • bthurmon
    bthurmon Posts: 8
    Options
    I just started this I try to eat some of them back but not all of them
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    If you entered your info correctly when you set up your account, then the numbers you've been given should be fairly accurate. A good 80-85% of people will be within the parameters the calculators use, and the majority of those outside that are people with medical issues (Thyroid, PCOS, etc). Might help to read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new

ETA: The people who have "success" eating under goal are the people who either a) have a lot to lose (50+lbs) or b) end up losing a high percentage of lean tissue (muscle)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't. I work really hard to eat balanced meals all day. I eat before working out and make sure to eat protein in the morning and especially after a workout. I know you're supposed to, but I simply can't eat that much. I do eat more on workout days and I'm try to make sure I eat especially well on those day. Right now I'm trying to adjust my sugar intake, but no I don't eat back all my calories. I've been losing steadily and my doctor is okay with it.
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180
    Options
    I eat back about 75% of my exercise calories and I've lost consistantly lost over the last 7+ weeks that I've been on here. So far I've lost 19lbs. =) I noticed that I have more energy since I eat back most of my exercise calories.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine. I've been doing this consistantly for going on 3 weeks now and I have lost 2 pounds (my goal) a week. When I first started out I didn't eat them and I did lose weight but after awhile I platued (sp?) worked my butt off thinking that would help but didn't lose a single pound but the second I started eating more is when the pounds started coming off again. You can try it out for a week or so and see how it goes for you..but your body needs fuel to keep you going. Good luck!
  • BBaley2720
    BBaley2720 Posts: 13
    Options
    It's not so much calories as in the type of calories you are taking in. If most of your calories come from protein, low glycemic carbs, and poly and monosaturated fats you should be fine if your staying under your calorie goal. If all of your calories are coming from refined sugar, saturated, and trans fat then you have a problem. One pound of body fat is 3,500 calories. So once your net loss is 3,500 you will have lost one pound. I hope this helps
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I try to eat back most of mine, but if I end the day with 100-200 calories "left over" I dont sweat it because I like to leave a small buffer. The data I enter for foods may not always be exact. Call me crazy but I have steadily lost 25 lbs since January doing it this way. The key is to shift your way of thinking and realize that your body needs fuel (food) so dont get too hung up on "Oh I can only eat my 1300 cals today...." you dont want to lose lean muscle tissue.