Turkey and Veggies

Options
millerll
millerll Posts: 873 Member
I got this recipe on this site last year, and it's become one of my favorites! I wish I could credit the lady who originally posted it, but I can't find it in the archives. This recipe makes a hearty, filling dish that's great over pasta or rice, or on its own as a sort of thick chili. It's so low in calories you can have a big bowl of it, and it's packed with nutrients and protein. You can throw in whatever veggies you like to stretch it further. I make some variations, and I've noted those below. This is easy to make and so yummy! Enjoy!

Turkey and Vegetables

1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced and undrained (I use Hunt's no salt added diced garlic, basil and oregano tomatoes and I drain them or it's too runny)
1 ½ cups fresh onion, diced (I just use a whole medium onion diced)
1 cup fresh sweet corn
1 med. green pepper, diced (I also add a diced red pepper)
Salt, pepper to taste (I skip the salt and add some Mrs. Dash onion and herb and italian seasonings)
1 tbsp. Minced garlic (I always add more!)
2 tbsp. Worcester sauce (I use the reduced sodium variety)
15 oz. can tomato sauce (I use a small can of no salt added tomato paste instead)

Brown meat and drain.

In deep skillet, sauté onion, corn, pepper in water until tender. Add salt, pepper, garlic, Worcester sauce and cook 2-3 minutes. Add cooked meat, tomatoes and tomato sauce/paste. Simmer 10 minutes. Serve over rice or pasta.

Here's the nutrient breakdown without rice or pasta. Mine usually makes about 8 7-oz. servings.
Cals: 137
Carbs: 17
Fat: 1
Protein: 16
Sugar: 9
Sodium: 104

Edited to add: This is also great over quinoa!

Replies