Prebottled green tea?

Options
I have heard and read such great things about green tea...last night we had Subway for dinner (skipped the tuna this time) and since I had already had plenty of water for the day and wanted something a bit more flavorful, I chose one of their bottled green teas for my drink. I didn't end up drinking it last night and I am drinking it now with my breakfast (3 egg white omelette with garlic herb Laughing Cow cheese, two Kashi frozen waffles, and sugar free syrup...yum).

I just put in the nutrition info into the database and found that, all things considered, it doesn't appear to be that healthy at all. Tons of sugar, about as many calories as a soda (shoulda just had Pepsi!), and no vitamins. Being low sodium is its only saving grace that I can see, but sheesh, water has no sodium!

I realize this would have been healthier if I had brewed it at home and may consider doing this in the future if someone can tell me what the buzz is about green tea. So really, what makes green tea so wonderful? And are there any prebottled green teas that are worth it?

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have heard and read such great things about green tea...last night we had Subway for dinner (skipped the tuna this time) and since I had already had plenty of water for the day and wanted something a bit more flavorful, I chose one of their bottled green teas for my drink. I didn't end up drinking it last night and I am drinking it now with my breakfast (3 egg white omelette with garlic herb Laughing Cow cheese, two Kashi frozen waffles, and sugar free syrup...yum).

I just put in the nutrition info into the database and found that, all things considered, it doesn't appear to be that healthy at all. Tons of sugar, about as many calories as a soda (shoulda just had Pepsi!), and no vitamins. Being low sodium is its only saving grace that I can see, but sheesh, water has no sodium!

I realize this would have been healthier if I had brewed it at home and may consider doing this in the future if someone can tell me what the buzz is about green tea. So really, what makes green tea so wonderful? And are there any prebottled green teas that are worth it?
  • our5cooks
    our5cooks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I brew my own at home and I love it. I don't add anything to mine so it's 0 calories. I've read that it's an antioxidant. I've "heard" that it helps give your metabolism a boost but I'm not sure. You should google it and see. That's what I'm going to do now!
  • girldeese
    Options
    Hey Laura...I was at Target Yesterday and bought Enviga.....a green tea drink from Coke of all things, but it only has 5 calories and supposedly helps burn fat??? I am not going to drink it all the time, obviously, but every now and then.....here is the web site. http://www.enviga.com/#Home
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I drink Lipton's DIET Green Tea, and Diet White Tea (flavored with peach and papaya). No calories and only a little sodium. I count it as drinking water, and boy is it YUMMY STUFF!! I only drink one in the mornings though, to lay off the caffeine.
  • our5cooks
    our5cooks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    According to About.com it helps with the following
    cancer
    rheumatoid arthritis
    high cholesterol levels
    cardiovascular disease
    infection
    impaired immune function
    prevent (help) tooth decay
    help dieters burn calories

I haven't heard anything either way of bottled green tea!

76013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Green tea is amazing. Great choice to drink it! Sooooo many good qualities. I have been drinking it for a couple of years now. It has had kudos for heart benefits in recent years. I typically brew my own and carry it in one of my water bottles, but there are some sugar free ones that are great too. My favorite is Zsenso (Amway product). Have a blessed on plan day! :flowerforyou:
  • oOLiveYourLifeOo
    Options
    Try the Lipton's Diet Green Tea with Citrus. It's amazing. I don't think it has much sodium, if any!
  • seebee
    Options
    Does anyone know of a bottled green tea that has *no* added sugars and *no* artificial sweeteners? I usually make my own at home but sometimes just want something "on the go..."
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful and read the labels. I usually just brew my own, but if I buy the bottled, I get the Diet.
  • krush
    krush Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get an Unsweetened Blueberry Pomegranate Green Tea at Trader Joe's that tastes great.
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Does anyone know of a bottled green tea that has *no* added sugars and *no* artificial sweeteners? I usually make my own at home but sometimes just want something "on the go..."

I recently bought the little flavor packets that you add in to bottled water...they are good on the go and have nothing in them...the nutrition label has all 0's lol. Makes me wonder if it has any of the benefits of actual green tea or if I should just start brewing my own?
  • seebee
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I go to Trader Joes every 2 weeks or so, so will check out their teas. :happy:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Republic of Tea sells bottled tea - nothing added and taste divine. I had Pomegranate Green Tea and had to check the lable twice before I was convinced there were no added sugars, etc. Zero calories, zero sodium, all zero! And it tasted SWEET - not super sweet, but there was a distinct sweetness to it. A-MA-ZING stuff.

You can also purchase glass or plastic bottles (for people who want to avoid plastic bottles).

Most of the time I brew my own - raspberry tea with nothing added. The kids are used to it, and love it. I don't like diet teas - they add a bunch of stuff to it and it tastes bad to me now (shrugs).
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    For any prebottled teas... you want UNSWEETENED... otherwise you might as well just drink a soda.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I drink Zeiglers diet green tea. It is the bomb and it is sugar free as well as you can put the sugar free water flavors in them.

I drink so many of them that I have started buying it by the case at the grocery store instead of a dollar a bottle.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I just bought some of the instant flavored ones that you add to bottled water, but they have splenda in it, and I always drink my tea with no sweeteners in it, so I might try it, but it will probably be too sweet and I will have to brew my own
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    I just bought some of the instant flavored ones that you add to bottled water, but they have splenda in it, and I always drink my tea with no sweeteners in it, so I might try it, but it will probably be too sweet and I will have to brew my own

You can dilute it quite a bit by only adding half the packet or using more than the 16 oz bottle...I have a plastic cup that I use that holds about 30 ounces, and one packet flavors it nicely without being too sweet...
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try that
    thanks