No real difference

Options
So I have lost almost 30lbs and I am excited for that but I am not noticing any real change in my clothing size. Someone said that you should drop a dress size for every 10lbs you lose. I am still in the same clothing size. They are a little looser but still a 28. I admit I haven't tried on a smaller size because the pants I have still fit. I'm assuming maybe they were always to tight and are now fitting the way they were meant to. Also, I'm wondering if the amount of "extra skin" I have from being 407lbs at my highest weight is making it harder for me to see a difference in the way my clothes fit.

Maybe I'm just expecting to see a change too soon? I know from the measurements I take periodically and when I weigh myself that I'm making progress. I guess I just want to see it more.

Anyone else have this experience?

Replies

• jesatank
    jesatank Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 pounds and don't feel a difference in clothes so you're not alone
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, typically I don't change that drastically in clothing sizes depending on what I way. I mean, I have lost 17 pounds and I haven't went down a size. My pants fit looser but I still wear the same size. So I think it just really depends on your body and how you are built. No matter how much I weigh, I have a big ole booty and that means that my pants sizes are always a little bigger! Well, that's my theory anyway!
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    Also, bigger you get, the more space the weight has to spread over, if that makes any sense. As I was explaining to the hubby about how I can loose 20 lbs and my clothes mostly be the same, it takes a lot more of anything to cover a larger object. When I weighed 200lbs and gained 15lbs, I gained a size. When I went from 275 to 315, I gained one size again. Its definitely not just you, and the fact that you DO feel a difference is what matters. The size will change eventually :)
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have also lost almost 30 lbs and am not really wearing a smaller size yet, depending on the clothes. I think when you've got more to lose, like you and I, it doesn't show up as quickly. I am almost at my first mini-goal which is -10% of my start weight or -32 pounds. I think by the time I get to 40-50 pounds down it will really start to show more. Hang in there! You got this!!
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just wondered if anyone else had this experience. My first major goal is 50lbs so hopefully I'll see some physical differences by then. If not, I'll keep pushing until I do!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So I have lost almost 30lbs and I am excited for that but I am not noticing any real change in my clothing size. Someone said that you should drop a dress size for every 10lbs you lose. I am still in the same clothing size. They are a little looser but still a 28. I admit I haven't tried on a smaller size because the pants I have still fit. I'm assuming maybe they were always to tight and are now fitting the way they were meant to. Also, I'm wondering if the amount of "extra skin" I have from being 407lbs at my highest weight is making it harder for me to see a difference in the way my clothes fit.

Maybe I'm just expecting to see a change too soon? I know from the measurements I take periodically and when I weigh myself that I'm making progress. I guess I just want to see it more.

Anyone else have this experience?

Congrats on your success so far! :flowerforyou:

How long it takes to see a difference in clothing size varies quite a bit based on several factors:

-How much weight you have to lose. 30 pounds will show up sooner on a person who only has 60 to lose than on someone with more to lose, generally speaking.

-Where your body lets go of weight first. I'm sure you've seen the many posts from folks who are losing well but are really frustrated that body part x, y or z looks relatively unchanged! We can't dictate where it comes off or in what order, unfortunately. So some folks will need new bras right away, others new pants. Varies tremendously from one person to the next.

-The cut of your original clothing and how tight it was when you started.

Congrats again and hang in there! Sooner or later, you're going to need smaller pants!!:bigsmile:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any reasoning, but uhm... WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! That's super inspirational!
  • Peanutmanda
    Peanutmanda Posts: 103
    Options
    ... I've lost 60 lbs and am currently wearing the same pants i used to.. :grumble:

They don't look exactly the same, but, im wearing them non the less.

People lose it from different places.. Im sure people notice it more on you than you notice it on yourself. :flowerforyou:

Deff frustrating tho. Good Luck!
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Good job so far!!

Don't get discouraged, either. Think of a roll of paper towels. When you pull 5 sheets off the new roll, it doesn't look smaller, but when you get down to end of the roll and you pull 5 sheets off you can watch it shrink.

Keep upi the great work!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good job so far!!

Don't get discouraged, either. Think of a roll of paper towels. When you pull 5 sheets off the new roll, it doesn't look smaller, but when you get down to end of the roll and you pull 5 sheets off you can watch it shrink.

Keep upi the great work!

I really like this analogy!