At goal weight...now what? with Pics.

Options

Replies

• DESIREE1210
    DESIREE1210 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Congrats, looking at you, I think toning strength training would benefit you.
    Myself, i have no help with that, my arms and everything can onky be corrected with surgery. I'm seeing a surgeon next Weds.
    I would like my arms done this summer, if he thinks I should wait, I will as I want to lose another 40-60#'s.
    Then I'll get my tummy tuck.
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    I have reached my goal weight but I am still extremely unhappy with my body. I look down and all I see is fat. I have gone from 167.2lbs down to 120lbs over three years as I had a baby at the end of 2009 and put back on the weight I had lost, so I have had to lose the same amount of weight twice!
    I know I have slimmed down but I still have flabby arms, a pot belly and no muscle tone. I guess I need to reassess my goals but I kind of feel let down as I thought I would look good and feel confident when I reached my goal weight. has anyone else ever felt like this and what did you do?

I just posted something about this on another Success story but I'll repeat it here.

Just as we work on controlling our eating and exercising more, we have to work on getting our thoughts under control and turned in a positive direction as well. It's absolutely critical to long term success.

There are lots of ways you can tone up your physical body but you have to tone up your thinking and self-image as well. Sooner or later, life is going to throw you a curve ball and you've got to have the inner strength that comes from loving yourself to survive it.

My advice is to stop thinking of yourself as a fat person who has lost a lot of weight. Give yourself permission to think and see yourself as normal sized person. Just as you stop yourself from binging, stop yourself from binging on negative thinking. Every time you start, catch yourself and stop. If flabby arms or a pot-belly bother you, stop looking at them and focus on a positive aspect of your body instead. You have a lot of self-discipline skills for eating and exercising - you can develop the same for control over your thoughts as well.

There are all kinds of ways to reinforce positive thinking - you can do the research and find them. I just can't stress enough how important this is. Let go of the old you as if she had never existed.

The praise and recognition from your friends and family is going to slow down and stop, it's inevitable. You are the only person who is going to continually be recognizing what a great job you're doing and how good you look now. If you don't, then no one is going to be giving you the positive feedback that is critical to your long term success.

Good luck! Be as loving to yourself as you are to your baby!
  • dawgla
    dawgla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. That takes willpower and self discipline to achieve those kind of results. From your post, it sounds as if you know what needs done. My health journey has been the inverse of yours, taking a fitness first approach followed by intake control. Have lost 22 pounds so far, but have leveled out, and am taking the next step of reducing calories while continuing fitness training. Have just begun the diet component and have for the last 4 months been working out. Thanks to my training program, I feel so much better about myself and have been amazed at the results of fitness training that are not physical. I think it's because I'm becoming more aware of what others see in me, both physical and emotional. My stress is controlled, and have become so much more focused on others, and less so on myself. Just go check out a gym, or YMCA, to get started. Hire a coach to help you establish measurable goals that are geared toward feeling better about yourself. It'll be hard to schedule with your parenting responsibilities, but the benefits to your family, friends, and yourself, far outweigh the initial uncomfortability of getting started. You've come so far, now just complete the journey! Go getum!!!
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Congrats on your success!!! Don't fret. now that you've met your goal make a new one with toning workouts!:bigsmile:

As we all know this is a lifestyle change and I am very sure your life has changed a lot since you've lost all your weight. So now it's time to make it fun and incorporate all the good stuff into your new lifestyle. The good thing about that is you dont have to worry about any weight hiding those great muscles you're gonna get soon! Good luck and know that you can do it!! :happy:
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Congrats !!!!!
  • Truhvn
    Truhvn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of Yoga. I'm still working on reaching my weight loss goal but I've been doing Yoga and I can notice my belly and arms toning everyday, even when I'm not exercising! Power yoga (Ashtanga or fit yoga are other names) focuses more on getting fit and losing weight than the enlightenment aspect of yoga and can be done and sessions range from 30 min to 1 1/2 hrs. Maybe you can start with the yoga and build your upper body strength and core before moving on to the machines! There are a number of videos for Power Yoga or you can view many clips on you tube!!! Keep it up though, you are an inspiration to many!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    You've done great :) Just get on board with some toning exercises, like lifting weights, AB work outs etc. You'll definitely be able to tone up (I've seen proof right here on the before & afters of MFP, some of the ladies who post really buffed out its awesome).

I wouldn't watch your weight while your working out though. Just try to eat what you should be eating (MFP tells you) and work out. There is a good chance your weight will fluctuate while you build up muscle.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    You look GREAT!!! :flowerforyou:

Congrats on reaching your goal weight! Now it's time to tone, you can do it!
  • nitarongish
    nitarongish Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You look terrific. Don't be so hard on yourself. Toning can come now...Go to YouTube and take a look at their toning exercises for different parts of the body. Great job on your goal!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you look wonderful! I'm finding the 30 day shred to be a nice toning workout. 3-5 lb weights to start and maybe move up from there...congrats again, great job!
  • rgoodearl
    Options
    Congrats, you look great !!!!

I've acheived my goal weight in March and have set new goals for toning and trying for the 6 pack !
  • rgoodearl
    Options
    Congrats, you look great !!!!

I've acheived my goal weight in March and have set new goals for toning and trying for the 6 pack !

Too funny...I just noticed that this is my second post...I guess you made an impression on me !!! lol
  • silvafan
    silvafan Posts: 147
    Options
    I've seen people get amazing results from Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Maybe you should try that. There have been some great before & after pics on here. I 've seen people get nice & toned & have great definition. You may have to do it twice but I think it would work for you.

But you do look amazing! Congratulations on getting to your goal weight!
  • chasekilgannon
    Options
    I highly suggest reading one of the member's blogs, www.gettingfitaftertwins.com

I still have a lot of weight to lose, but she's an inspiration. There are other ladies who put emphasis on weight lifting, friend them too.

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If it's available where you are, I have been doing Pilates reformer 2x per week along with my 5x a week cardio. With the pilates I noticed that my back, sides and arms started to be more toned after only 5 sessions! As I go on, my weight loss has been super slow but with the pilates my stomach is getting more fit, and I am wearing smaller sizes. Oh, and my legs look so much leaner and strong. One of the things that I like about Pilates is you get toned, but not muscular. Long and lean muscle like dancers. I think Yoga has similar results too.

Anyway, you look amazing. We are our own worst critics. You should be proud of how far you've come. We all know that this fitness journey is tough, so that you've reached your goal is nothing short of amazing!! You are an inspiration to me for sure. Good job. :)
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    This is common. Now it's just a matter of maintaining your weight and toning those muscles! This is much easier to do than lose weight, so the biggest battle is over. You'll notice changes quickly if you continue doing cardio 3 times a week and throw in strength trianing circuits at least three times a week. Make sure to vary the muscles you work so you are seeing benefits everywhere.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    You look great - congratulations!

As far as the machines - I haven't been to the gym in 3 + years, but when we did go I had a trainer who showed us proper use of the weight equipment. I actually preferred the weight equipment over the treadmill, bike, and elliptical. Try them out (with the help of a trainer or someone who knows how to use them properly), you might find that you like them better too!

Good luck on the rest of your journey!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your goal weight, that's awesome! Now your focus needs to shift away from the number on the scale and focus on body compostion (body fat%). Do strength training 2-3 times per week. This is how you truly transform the way your body looks.

A couple of great books to check out are "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips and "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. Also, here's a great blog from another MFP member:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81/view/resistance-training-foundation-19725

Good luck!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm in the same boat. I gained 50 lbs. with my first child who is now 9, and 25 with my second who is now 4. I've lost the weight I wanted to, but I still need toning up. I'm at 125 now, but I want to get muscle and get rid of the poochy belly!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I do a sort of boot camp once a week and run on the treadmill, so yes now I think it is time to do some strength training. All those machines just look a bit daunting!

As a reward for reaching your goal, have you considered a few sessions with a personal trainer? I started this time 4 months ago and signed up for 12 sessions. My trainer helped my with my goals and worked with me on all the machines and, most importantly, help design a program for me. The machines look intimidating, but they can be really fun, once you know how to use them.

The other option woudl be something like a BodyPump class, if your gym offers them. It is a total body strength workout with a barbell and weights to music. the hour flies by really fast and you can start with the weight you feel comfortable with and build up. Even at 198lbs, I am starting to see my tricep and hamstring muscles! and that is just incentive to keep going. I bet at your weight, you will see definition alot quicker! Good luck to you and don't forget to enjoy your success so far!! You have worked really hard for it!:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!