Hate hate hate! Tracking

Options
Seriously, I think it's becoming my hugest pet peeve now. I know what's healthy and what's not. Every time I log in to enter food I get frustrated because I'm spending more of my day on tracking. I've been exercising and eating when hungry, healthily or the occasional sweet. In the 3 years I've been in college I've only gained 25lbs. Freshman 15? Get real.

I would love to drop 17 more pounds but what's the point of tracking if it's only going to make me rage? :huh: Despite smoking half a pack a day, I'm pretty damn healthy. I walk to work unless it's raining/snowing hard outside. I sporadically workout in varying amounts when it suits me. I grocery shop with a very limited budget and I do pretty decent on healthy foods. I don't take the elevator to classes and I've always lived on the second floor of apartment buildings with no elevators (highest on campus).

So, again, why piss myself off with tracking when I am constantly making healthy choices minus smoking and the occasional chocolate fix? I'm not looking to be a size 10. I'm healthy in a size 17 long and medium/large shirts. Though I will admit my *kitten* has gotten bigger but in a good way. :wink:

How does everyone else feel about tracking?

Replies

• Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I personally love it. It's an extra 15 minutes of my day (if that) and then I can hold myself entirely accountable for any weight loss or gain. I log everything, because it helps to make me stop and think before I have anything unhealthy.

However, if you don't like it, don't use it - if you feel you can be as successful without counting the calories, then give it a skip. The other site features like the message boards can still be a great help even without the calorie counter.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    umm... seriously? I believe in it 100% and I track anything and everything that crosses my lips. It only takes seconds. Just remember if nothing changes, nothing changes... so if you're here looking for results then you have to put forth the work. Don't track and you'll always get what you've always got...
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    Tracking, well, keeps me on track! :smile: Of course I know that water is better than Coke and peppers are better than doughnuts, but I need to "see" it, if that makes any sense.

I also need to be accountable for what I eat, which I why my diary is public. I've always pretended that I didn't eat much and thought if no one saw me eat it, it didn't count. :huh:

It also helps me realise exactly what a correct portion size looks like.

You have to do what's right for you. I've seen people who track and they eat absolute junk and I know people who don't keep track of anything and eat a totally balanced diet.
  • Sheepdoglady
    Options
    So if it winds you up, why do it? If you are happy with the way you are, then great, good for you. Don't add stress to your life where you don't need it! There are a lot of people on here who log their meals to ensure they are getting enough nutrients throughout the week, myself included, as they feel they are happy with their weight. Personally, I didn't, before logging, eat enough fruit and have enough iron in my diet but found it interesting and feel better for it.
  • c3lxxx
    c3lxxx Posts: 25
    Options
    I think tracking is the best!!!! Very rarely do people hold themselves accountable to not only the things we do, but also the things we DONT do. This is the best way to get results, the equation is easy........less calories IN more calories OUT.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I track in general and I don't get to detailed that way I have an idea of where I'm at and I don't spend the day nickel and diming myself. So far I am very happy with this train of thought but you have to do what works for you. In the end your doing all this for yourself so do what makes you happy!
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i used to hate logging, but the more i use it the easier & less painful it becomes. I've got all my regular foods on my diary list, meals logged in my recipes etc this makes it really quick. I also have a phone app which means i add throughout the day. For me logging has really helped, i thought was eating healthy what it has made me realise is that my portions were too big. Now i weigh everything to make sure i log it correctly & the weight is going by itself :)
    If you really don't like it don't do it, just remember to keep an eye on portion size etc x
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    It's the one thing that has kept me going. I kind of look at it as a video game. I was away from MFP for about a year, thinking I knew all the stuff and portion control. Nope, I went right back to my old crappy habits. I'm going to continue until the government takes the internet away from us!!!!
  • camilles
    camilles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    well, I have done diets before but failed after about 7lb or so and then put it back on! Tracking is the best thing I have every done and I love that I can put any weight or measurement in and it tells me the calories for that! Takes all the guess work out and has lead to a big success :)
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Another thing I hate about tracking is it makes me hungry for some reason. When I'm thinking about everything that goes in my stomach I get hungrier than I would if I didn't think about it. I did buy these weight control drink mix things I saw at wal-mart the other day....jury's out on that one still.

I do like the forums here because of all the little challenges. :bigsmile:

I disagree with your "don't track and you'll always get what you've always got" statement. I've always gotten more enjoyment out of exercise than tracking foods.
  • mamaredhead
    mamaredhead Posts: 112
    Options
    I have only been here for about a week and since I have been seriously tracking every single day i can ALREADY TELL THE DIFFERENCE!!! Eating healthy is not my problem, but beeing stressed and then eating too much even of the good stuff is what I have to change. And if it wasn't for tracking I'd probably go on telling myself that all those goodies here and there are doing me good. Tracking is making me be honest to myself. Feels good for me :-)
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    How about entering your food for the next day the night before? I tend to do that and it only takes a few minutes. Plus I get to look forward to the next day AND I have time to prepare my meals, which is really helpful for me. If I haven't planned, I WILL overeat or make poor choices.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    If you hate it so much, then stop doing it. Not sure what to tell you... I think most of the people here find it to be a helpful tool. It takes maybe 15 mins TOTAL out of my day.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different - I quite enjoy the tracking because it is satisfying to plan my day's meals and see the numbers balance out with exercise. But, I don't plan to do it forever.... in fact once I drop a few more kg I think I will try tracking one week on, one week off to see how I do without tracking.

There is no rule that says you have to track in order to use the forums, so I say use MFP as a tool that works for you.
    If you don't like it, don't do it!! Or maybe just commit to tracking for one week a month or so if you feel that it is useful.
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    How about entering your food for the next day the night before? I tend to do that and it only takes a few minutes. Plus I get to look forward to the next day AND I have time to prepare my meals, which is really helpful for me. If I haven't planned, I WILL overeat or make poor choices.

I made a salad the other night (a big bowl) and shoved it in the fridge for later meals. It does help to make something and eat it later. Honestly, I do that at work all the time for my consumers. Mids make the meals for the day and follow a menu with serving sizes....I've worked mids for almost 2 years....Why can't I follow this example? I have no idea. I think I'll try that for tomorrow....
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but it was only because I hated facing what I was really putting in to my body....It was disappointing. However,
    I love it now though. I like the fact that not only am I aware of everything I am consuming but everything I am burning off too...it makes me feel good when I am tracking and seeing my different habits and the results in the end.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love it and find it necessary to my success. It helps to remind me of what a portion is, what I have eaten in the day. One gentle man said it best when he posted that he was eating healthy foods but when he tracked the calories he found he was eating too much of higher calorie good foods
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I really enjoy it! It helps me see how much sugar, fat and carbs I'm consuming and ways that I can cut down and eat healthier.