Do you make your food diary available to the public?

Options

Replies

• EileenAvery
    Options
    I just joined MFP today and have set my diary to public to keep me accountable. I want to kick a nasty ,secret, binge eating cycle which I have used for far to long to cope with my emotions. I need to to express my feelings instead of eating them. Having an honest, open food diary it my first step to healing myself.
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Mine's private because there are 100s of different perceptions on what is eating healthily, and it really gets on my wick when I see other people offering unasked for advice.

I'm here to monitor my food intake for myself, that's why I'm using a tool like this. The support on the forum (i.e. when asked for and information is given out) is amazing, but at other times I can analyse my calories and nutrients for myself at the click of a button, and I know if they've come from natural or unnatural sources.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I "think" mine is public (someone tell me if it is or not). I don't know why you wouldn't unless you have something to hide! This way you can get feedback on what you are doing right or wrong.... no??
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    I made mine public as I was asking for advise, the help people can give you is much more if they can see what you eat etc.
    Sometimes I do eat chocolate or do go over but I've never had any one other than a friend comment with encouragement mostly!
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Mine is public, easier for people to answer questions I raise if they can see what I eat and exercise.
  • XLMKX
    XLMKX Posts: 86
    Options
    Mine is friends only because I don't want people to shout at me for what I eat :(
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I did for one day as I wanted some opinions, but I don't in general, because it isn't anyone else's business what I eat, and there are enough people here who seem to think it's their job to give unsolicited and very rude advice about all sorts of things, so I didn't want people doing that just because I happen to have had a piece of chocolate that day.
  • bcrawfoot
    bcrawfoot Posts: 5
    Options
    mines not public as i suffer from an ED and some days just dont look good but mayb people wouldnt look at it, does anyone else have food issues x
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because there are so many judgmental people on here, I feel uncomfortable about it. Especially on the days I indulge and let myself have a frozen custard or something. *sigh*
  • RyvreTam
    RyvreTam Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mine is friends only. I don't have a problem with people seeing it, but I have a treat problem. I do calories because I know I won't stay away from certain things, but they're more moderated now. Even so, I have a sugary treat I probably shouldn't, which means there isn't a lot of advice I can ask for. "Why aren't I losing?" "Stop eating sugar every day", etc.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I've had a few comments and suggestions. I like public diaries beacuse sometimes you find some great ideas for new foods. Sometimes you get so bored with what you eat and it's great to see what others have.
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I don't make mine public...but I didn't come to MFP as a newbie. I already know what works for me and don't need someone to tweak my menu. I eat a relatively high fat diet (with great blood work) and I don't need unsolicited advice from someone who's just lost 6 lbs and thinks they know everything. Its never happened to me, but I have seen it happen to other people, and it ain't pretty.

And I know some people like the accountability, but for me, its the complete opposite. When I did have my diary public, I would find myself LYING MY *kitten* OFF. What if Sheila in so-and-so group, who I know silently disapproves of my diet, saw that I ate bacon last Saturday? Better leave that off...

Now that its private, I will log, with absolute honesty that I just ate 800 calories worth of macademia nuts...and that maybe I should stop buying them if I can't eat just the 1/4 cup serving I'm suppose to...
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I have had some comments and it does not bother me. It is me that I need to be accountable to. If i messed up, I am the first to acknowledge it. I also gather meal ides from my friends that have open diaries.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    mines is not viewable i eat very clean no sweets or junk. most people could never live my way i only eat seafood. again most people can not eat that way and i dont need questions on why i dont eat sweets or bread or whatever things the world thinks we deserve because of whatever.i get it enough in really life people think im orthorexia as it is. but my results show that im on point. my theory the mirror is a better friend to answer to then anybody else in the world.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Mine is public to my friends only and that's because if I generally want any advice, I want it more so from people who have followed along my journey as well....and when I ask for it!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    definitely! People might find an idea in mine they hadn't thought of! Or just wanna see how I eat to get where I am!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Mine's public, ever since like my 3rd day here. My friends and I periodically comment on each others'. Today is a somewhat odd day... I have a ~40-44 mile round trip bike ride today, so I'm sort of eating everything in sight.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Mine is either public, or friends only.

In any case, I don't really have anything to hide. I also have at least one day a week where I don't track, sometimes more depending on the activities of the day. (For example, I DEFINITELY don't count when I go hike 14ers... because I burn at least a couple thousand calories if not more, and dang it, I'm gonna eat pizza after!)

I know I don't make a ton of healthy choices right now, so sometimes that is embarrassing. Right now it is HUGE HUGE HUGE that I'm even tracking most of the time. Once it's been another few weeks I'll start making small changes in what I'm eating.

I keep mine public because I like to see what my friends are eating... so I assume they like to see what I eat!
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Mine is public. I rarely get comments on what I'm eating, but if someone wants to take the time to do that GREAT! Haha. I don't care if people see what I've eaten. The good, the not so good and the uh oh's. Doesn't matter to me. I like looking at other diaries for meal or snack ideas though. Very helpful.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    yep. it makes me accountable to not only myself but to everyone else too. makes me feel like i can lie to myself (which i've done for years) but lying to others makes me feel worse and suddenly realize its not right. keeps me honest.