Balancing fat/sugar/carbs/protein etc

Helena4
Helena4 Posts: 124
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Just a question...what is the ideal balance of all of the above?

MFP sets the levels for me on my iPhone but I was wondering if the following is what I should be getting:
Calories - 1330 (without any exercise)
Protein - 50g
Fat - 44g
Sat Fat - 15g
Sodium - 2500 (only ever have at most 1000 anyway so I'm not too fussed about sodium)
Carbs - 183g
Sugar - 27g (i am usually going over...but with natural sugar not refined/processed)

Does this seem like the right balance? Do you think these are the right amounts? Sorry if this is confusing!!

Replies

• kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    i don't think they are right by any means. i aim for 60% protein & 20 carb 20 fat. of course this leaves me always just slightly over in carbs & a bit under the goal for protein because it's really not easy after living a junkfood life full of bread & chips for so long... but now it's tuna & celery... pass on the crackers... low carb bread & skip the mayo... but being that bodies don't use fat storage for energy until all the carbs are gone, it doens't make sense to eat so many carbs... one theory is that our bodies don't even need grain and there's more allergies than anything good.. but i think MFP bases it's chart on the government food pyramid or something... we all know the gov is ALWAYS right... right? lol

From what Ive seen on the boards around here, most people are having greater success with low carb lifestyle changes.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    You'll get varying answers from different people. It all depends on your goals, body type, and workout routines, or if you are truely "sedentary". I believe recomedations are about .7 to 1 gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight.. I would imagine that is in your range. Most people will be able to follow mfp recommendations to reach their weight loss goals, If it doesn't work, you may want to increase your protein, and decrease carbs.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Our goals seem pretty similar and I nearly always go over on sugar too, but like you it's mostly natural sugars (I eat alot of fresh fruit and veg). It has made me more aware about cutting out more and more refined and processed sugar though (I do have a bit of a sweet tooth :S), I think that's a good thing.
    x
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    It all depends on what type of food plan you want to follow. There's a lot of people following the paleo diet who prefer lower carbs. Others like myself keep the carbs around normal FDA recommendations (or a bit higher if you're very active and do any endurance activities).
  • Helena4
    Our goals seem pretty similar and I nearly always go over on sugar too, but like you it's mostly natural sugars (I eat alot of fresh fruit and veg). It has made me more aware about cutting out more and more refined and processed sugar though (I do have a bit of a sweet tooth :S), I think that's a good thing.
    x

I used to have SUCH a weak spot for refined sugar...cake and biscuits...MMM! but now, I try stick to the natural sugars...which I guess isn't bad? I can't have two pieces of fruit in a day without going over my limit? can you?
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    I think there's not any difference between refined sugars and natural sugars from the body's perspective. They get broken down the same way and cause the same insulin response. The main overall difference between an apple and sweet tarts is the fiber and vitamins in an apple. The sugar is pretty much the same.

My opinion is that fruit (i.e. Simple sugar) is best enjoyed with some protein and fat or with protein and no fat. The protein will blunt the body's insulin spike, keep you from being hungry and tired shortly after eating. I formulated my opinion from things I have read and from personal experience. When I eat a piece of fruit by itself, I am sometimes hungrier than before.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    If you have gotten to the point where you are trying to adjust your macronutrient ratios, my best advice is to experiment with different ratios. Try one for a couple weeks, and then make some adjustments. Be sure to record how you feel during each iteration and try to keep your activity and schedule as routine as possible.

For me? I first shoot for 0.8 to 1g of protein for ever lb of lean body mass I have. Keeping a low fat diet, this works out to

45% carbs, 35% protein, 20% fat

I've tried the 40/40/20 and didn't care for it as much. Energy levels were slightly lower and I found at the end of the day I was under on protein, even when eating balanced meals.

Just remember, protein is for repairing and rebuilding and carbs are your energy...in simple terms.

Experiment.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    I think there's not any difference between refined sugars and natural sugars from the body's perspective. They get broken down the same way and cause the same insulin response. The main overall difference between an apple and sweet tarts is the fiber and vitamins in an apple. The sugar is pretty much the same.

My opinion is that fruit (i.e. Simple sugar) is best enjoyed with some protein and fat or with protein and no fat. The protein will blunt the body's insulin spike, keep you from being hungry and tired shortly after eating. I formulated my opinion from things I have read and from personal experience. When I eat a piece of fruit by itself, I am sometimes hungrier than before.

I read an article on T-nation.com about different sugars, and how they affect the body. According to the article, some convert to glucose easier for better post workout muscle absorbtion. Of course, they were trying to get you to buy their supplement, telling you it was the best way to do it, rather than through taking a high GI carb, like a banana, or other simple sugar, so I don't know if it was just a "sales pitch", or if the article contained some truth to it.
  • Helena4
    Thanks for all your input. I think this is just all a bit too complex for me!!
This discussion has been closed.