Thyroid

kirstiey
kirstiey Posts: 243
edited 2:09PM in Motivation and Support
Ok, Ok so you might think this is an excuse...but I am hardly losing a thing despite being on 1300 cals, am worn out all the time, haven't been to the loo in about a week...

Anyone think this might be a thyroid issue...bare in mind UK doctors won't entertain the idea of testing on the NHS!

Replies

• Whitty1982
    Whitty1982 Posts: 30 Member
    It could be a number of things - my wife and I both thought our Thyroid was messed up. My wife had a slight thyroid problem that they gave her a daily pill for. I had no problem with my thyroid but was low on vitamin d and my t levels were off as well. Doc got me fixed up with some supplements and recommended we do a modified atkins diet.
    It's been two weeks since we started the atkins program and I'm down 16 lbs and my wife is down 11

We also seem to have more energy as well and haven't felt as groggy as we used to which is good!
  • Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Ask your GP as I have just been to the doctor feeling tired and worn out all the time and he said lets get the thyroid tested to check its ok and that was done on the NHS going back Monday for results.
  • Good Morning, new here I most certainly am. Your post intrested me because I have had my Thyroid removed in November, so this is a new road for me. My levels were all good, however my Thryoid was enlarged and growning into the back of my throat. Its gone now and has been replaced by a pill! But Im still kicking and plan on giving this my all:flowerforyou: its a tricky slope this Medical...SSKS
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    I presented to my (UK) GP with typical thyroid symptoms a few years ago. A simple blood test determined I had an over-active thyroid. Further investigations resulted in me having to undergo radiation therapy. The therapy has destroyed my thyroid and I now have Aquired HypoThyroidism. I have to take thyroxine for the rest of my life and getting the dosage right is a tricky business so I get tested every 6 months to ensure I'm getting the right levels. Even though I'm on the Thyroxine I am aware that my metabolism is a lot slower than it was 5 years ago ......... or maybe that's just my age!!! lol

I would recommend seeing your GP. If your symptoms truly indicate a thyroid problem your GP should have no hesitation in ordering blood tests as an over or under active thyroid can lead to complications and they would be negligent in their duty of care if they did not request the necessary tests.
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Thanks guys, some useful stuff here! I think i will ask my Dr. I have many of the symptoms and have done the temp test twice which show low body temp....hope it isn't and i am just greedy and old!!! x
  • It's 1 year and 3months since my Thyroid has been gone. Im feeling wonderful and all my levels are normal and on a Steady Road :) I started a new Nutritional Shake Mix, and my Endocrinologest took a copy of the Nutrition facts sheet and said I found Gold~Living Strong and Well and Loosing Weight too! Energy up with this BodyByVi~Its a 90 Day Challenge if anyone is intrested "Gold" are the words..check it out @ www.fowlersgot.myvi.net Sharing is CAring~Tracy Fowler:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.