who else runs with their dog? :-)

13»

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    My dog used to be a real work-horse. I couldn't keep up with her when it came to running, so I'd have her trot beside me while I used my bike. She wanted to go her speed. If that meant pulling me and the bike with her, that's what she did. (Of course, chasing a goose into the lake with me and bike in tow could be something of a problem.)

Now she's 14-years-old and has a heart condition. It limits her energy, and she can't run in the heat and humidity. But she can still go.

She tends to not pay attention on some occasions, though, and will dart right in front of me to try and chase a squirrel or a cat. I've tripped over her numerous times. (If I didn't know better, I'd say she's out to do me in. :) ) I would love to have an open space, like a trail or a beach to just let her off the leash and jog. She's a friendly dog and stays near me, but our town has strict policies on leashing dogs. Plus, the only place to run is on the road. There's too much traffic for me to be comfortable letting her loose.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I have to house sit for my dad next month and he has a dog. I'm considering running with him but it may not be the smartest idea because i'm fairly sure that he weighs more that I do!

That's fine as long as you don't have to carry him home! :laugh:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    I would love to have an open space, like a trail or a beach to just let her off the leash and jog. She's a friendly dog and stays near me, but our town has strict policies on leashing dogs. Plus, the only place to run is on the road. There's too much traffic for me to be comfortable letting her loose.

Awww... :frown: :frown:
    I would be very sad if I had no green open spaces near me where she could run free.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Just found this thread. :smile:
    I just did Wk1Day1 of C25K with one of my whippets and he loved it. He's used to walking in a harness anyway. Although all three of mine get the same food and exercise, one of them tends to put weight on very easily and is a little over what he should weigh so he will be my running buddy. What surprised me was that by the end of the run he had worked out that when my phone goes 'beep' it's time to start/ stop running! His trotting pace is my jogging pace so it's ideal.

Can i just say to the person with the 8 month Boxer to check with the vet about running. As someone else pointed out, younger dogs (especially long legged breeds) can get joint problems if they run too much while their growth plates are still working.:flowerforyou:
  • I take my golden with me sometimes on runs, but not as often now that it's getting hot outside. But, he is getting almost daily walks and rabbit/squirrel chasing now that it's warm, so it evens out. He loves going for a run, but get's easily sidetracked if I take a new route because he feels the need to sniff and/or pee on everything!

I'm taking him on my morning run today since he has to go for a long car ride and he didn't get any exercise yesterday. Hopefully, it will keep him from going crazy in the car.
This discussion has been closed.