Baby carriers, rucksack style. Advice please mums!

curleesam
curleesam Posts: 462 Member
edited September 27 in Chit-Chat
I love carrying my little girl in her front facing sling but she is getting too long for it now. I am thinking of investing in one of those rucksack style carriers you put on your back that have a rain cover and everything.

Does anyone have any experience in using one that can give me a few tips on what to look out for when purchasing and how you found them?

I don't drive so I will be using it to hop on a bus for 30mins to get her home from nursery in a few weeks.

Replies

• katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    I've got a Connecta and still use it from time to time with my nearly 2 year old, he's about 14kg. It's fairly easy to get him on my back but the only thing I don't like is how I need to use the optional chest strap to keep the arm straps from slipping off my shoulders. It might just be due to my body shape but I panic if I can't find the strap! I have taken him everywhere in it though, from the 20 min walk to nursery to a 4 hour hike through the Peak District.

You could also try a mei-tai. I've heard they're the best for back carries and most seem pretty straightforward to use. The only real difference I can see between those and my Connecta is the Connecta buckles into place whereas mei-tais you tie into place.
  • What about a Moby? http://www.mobywrap.com/

I used one with my daughter and I loved it because it was so versatile. I could carry her in the front or back, in a cradle carry, etc. And the other nice thing about them is that they're safe to use until about 30 lbs.

Good luck!
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    I used to carry my daughter in a meitai and i loved it! I used a Bamberoo until she was about 2 1/2 years old. Never needed a chest strap with it although there are variations of tieing the straps to make a chest strap ifyou need to.

I highly recommend them and really really wish i could still babywear!! It was a very sad day when i put my slings and Bamberoo in a bag to be put away for good........ :sad:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
    I second the moby! Carried all my kids around in one.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Thanks for the great advice guys, I think I am definitely going to invest in one!

• I highly recommend them and really really wish i could still babywear!! It was a very sad day when i put my slings and Bamberoo in a bag to be put away for good........ :sad:

I miss babywearing too! It was truly a sad, sad day when the Moby was retired. :(
This discussion has been closed.