Will my body go into starvation mode?

Options
I was wondering if I eat right at 1200 or so calories but exercise will my body still go into starvation mode? I know if you eat fewer than 1200 calories it will, but I didn't know if exercising where your net calories is lower than 1200 would? Any advice? Do I need to eat more calories on days I exercise?

Replies

• maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Options
    There will be loads of people on this site telling your yes, you will go into starvation mode if you only eat 1200 cals and exercise. However the only thing you need to do is listen to your body, when eating 1200 cals, do you have enough energy to work out without feeling like you're ganna die? are you tired all the time? The real starvation mode is when you eat something stupid like 700 calories per day, it is possible to over do it and put stress on your body only eatng 1200 calories, of course, but every body is different you have to see what works for you. I know people on here who only eat 1200 cals and exercise and are losing perfectly, they tried 'eating back' there work out cals and they stopped losing weight, but then I've seen people who eat 1600 calories AND eat back work out cals and lose weight, it really is down to the individual
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like the last post..........try it and see how you feel....if you are tired and not losing, then yes, you are in starvation. It is an aweful feeling. Being hungry, legs feel like oak stumps, etc. If that happens, try eating more and more until you start losing and feel good. You should feel GREAT! The weeks I have lost the most, I was not hungry and I had energy. Something to keep in mind.

I feel bad for the people out there whining b/c they haven't lost a pound all week, but they went to the gym 3 hours every day. that is a lot of work for nothing.
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    There will be loads of people on this site telling your yes, you will go into starvation mode if you only eat 1200 cals and exercise. However the only thing you need to do is listen to your body, when eating 1200 cals, do you have enough energy to work out without feeling like you're ganna die? are you tired all the time? The real starvation mode is when you eat something stupid like 700 calories per day, it is possible to over do it and put stress on your body only eatng 1200 calories, of course, but every body is different you have to see what works for you. I know people on here who only eat 1200 cals and exercise and are losing perfectly, they tried 'eating back' there work out cals and they stopped losing weight, but then I've seen people who eat 1600 calories AND eat back work out cals and lose weight, it really is down to the individual

Thank you SO much for posting this! I have been feeling pretty bummed lately reading on here that I MUST eat back my calories burned which is tricky for me because I don't track my exercise, you are so right everyone is different and what works for one might not work for another. I am going to keep doing what I have been doing...exercising daily, and eating until I am full... so far it is working for me.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calorie minimum is meant to be your net. MFP already creates a deficit by giving you1200 a day, if you exercise then you are meant to eat those calories back or the deficit is even bigger (not in a good way)
    Some people only eat half their exercise cals back, or 75%. I personally eat all mine back but it works for me, might work differently for other people, but it should really be an aim to always stay above 1200 net.

Only time I would say to stay under is if it's late, you are full and eating something would feel like you are just forcing the calories down for the sake of it, still listen to your body. However, this shouldn't really be a regular thing, if it is you might need to be eating more high calorie meals earlier in the day if you know you're exercising later.
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I personally think that you should eat back your workouts calories. It is healthier for your body and will help you keep the weight off long term. I know not everyone agrees with me though. So the main thing I would tell you is that it should depend on how great of a burn you get during your workout. If it is only 100-200 calories prob not the end of the world. However, if it is over 500-600 yes you should eat back some of your calories!
  • kmwilkinson
    Options
    Yes, I agree. Listen to your body. I am not a huge frame, and not exercising more than aprox 40 mins a day and only need 1200 calories to feel full and have energy. When I try and eat back my exercise cals I feel too full, bloated, and uncomfortable. As long as I eat regular, small amounts of healthy foods including protein, veges and have my carbs in the morning, my body feels really good.
  • maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm super happy I didn't just get slated! I thought writing that post would have evryone on my back saying I was giving bad advise lol!
  • srsly
    srsly Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm super happy I didn't just get slated! I thought writing that post would have evryone on my back saying I was giving bad advise lol!

It's good advice :) Everyone thinks there is some magical number when there is not. It's all down to your body, how it works, what you do throughout the day, your age, health conditions, etc, etc, etc.
  • Megan_lynne
    Options
    I actually Read a great article written by the Drs. who monitor the contestants from biggest loser and they say that a great plan to stick to is 7 calories per pound. For every pound you weigh you get to eat 7 calories( as long as you do not go under 1,050 a day. It doesn't make sense to me that every single person should eat 1200 calories. Everyones body is different! here is the article it's worth checking out.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/lose-weight-fast-how-to-do-it-safely

Height 5'2
    SW:180 (05/06/11)
    CW:169
    GW:165(by 05/29/11)
    GW:165(by 06/12/11)
    GW:140(by 07/04/11)