staying within the recommended calorie intake

Options
Hi All,
I was hoping that you could give me some advice, I am finding it extremely difficult to stay within my 1200 calories, and I am going over this on a daily basis. Have you any tips on snack that keep you feeling fuller for longer that are very low in calories, I guess I am just eating a lot of the wrong things :(

Replies

• sittingduck180
    Options
    Fat free popcorn-- the ENTIRE BAG is often less than 200 calories. Just try around different brands til you find one you like.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well, since you only have a few pounds to lose 1200 is not enough for you to eat. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be. I would suggest changing your weekly loss goal to 0.5 lbs/week and make sure you eat back your exercise calories. This should give you enough food so you are not always hungry.

A goal of 1 lb/week is good if you have 20-50 lbs to lose, if you have 50-75or so 1.5/week, if you have more than 75lbs to lose 2lbs/week should be a good goal.
  • christineanne8
    Options
    Snack on Blue Diamond brand almonds. They have a ton of flavors, and a serving size is 28 almonds, and is only 170 calories.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    Well are you exercising on a daily basis to make up for the extra calories you are intaking? I make sure I do that for sure.

For snacks, I eat around 2-3 a day I would eat in the mornings; fruit or 60-100 calorie snack (jello temptations, banana, any other fresh fruit); in the afternoon, I might have a fruit bowl (homemade with watermelon, berries and strawberries) and in the evening I might have a weight watchers treat or 100 calorie snack, depending on how many calories I have left for the day. But I exercise at least a hour a day to make up for calories I eat throughout the day and that gives me more of a window of eating more.
  • nmcneill16
    nmcneill16 Posts: 12
    Options
    more fruits and veggies... gives you something to crunch on without a lot of calories:)
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    if u get lots of exercise in then you will be able to eat more , also i fnd it worked alot better for me to burn the fat and eat more. grean tea makes you feel fuller for longer if u dnt like the tea you can take a supplement with your meal. :-)
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    have fresh veggies readily available for snacking, dry cereal are a good snack when you just need a crunch/slight sweetness.. Drink plenty of water! Be more careful of what you are eating, read labels... I track my foods all day long, so i know where I stand and I dont go over... I try to get my calorie intake Up!!

Water, Water, Water.... as far as meals, measure it out...portions are not always what our eyes want them to be! I have never calorie counted before... not like I am now...and I am finding that it is a balancing act!!!

Now my problem is Sodium!

(another good idea is to put cool whip in the freeezer... it will freeze, and be the "good" ice cream') Sorbet is also another way to go, to eat, yet keep the calories down!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    What are you eating in general? Are you getting protein every time you eat, aiming for 1 gram per pound of bodyweight per day? Have you cut out or cut back on the simple carbs(pasta, white rice, bread, crackers, etc.)? How are you doing on healthy fats(mono or polyunsaturated)?

If you're eating enough protein and fat while trying to get the majority of your carbs from complex sources like veggies, you should still feel fairly well satisfied on small amounts of food.
  • skguselli74
    skguselli74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling!
    1200 is a low target but its the same as I am sticking to.
    I have amended a lot of habits, I have cereal with a small amount of milk for breakfast but have cut out the fresh orange juice.
    I have stopped eating grapes and apples as snacks as they are high in calories and instead am eating one banana mid morning and some strawberries later in the afternoon.
    If real hunger kicks in, have a cup of tea!!!

Alternatively, go for a run and earn some extra calories ;o)
  • SiobhanF2773
    Options
    Well Said!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I feel if people put access stress on themselves, they will break. The key is to cycle stress with recovery, stress is a caloric deficit. Recovery is eating at your required calories. What I would do in your shoes, change my caloric input... Lets say you eat 1500 calories a day, try changing it to 1350. A little change, that is very possible and not to difficult. Once you can do that consistantly... Then shoot for 1200...
  • TaraTipp
    TaraTipp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the advice I really do appreciate it, I seem to do really well throughout the day but when it comes to the evenings when I am at home and bored, I just snack, snack and snack again! I am trying to snack on healthier foods like some mixed nuts or yoghurts but my problem is I cannot just have a portion size, I just seem to binge, greedy guts that I am or If i have been 'good' I think i will treat myself to a little chocolate and end up eating 2 bars :( ! I guess I need to retrain my brain.
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I was hoping that you could give me some advice, I am finding it extremely difficult to stay within my 1200 calories, and I am going over this on a daily basis. Have you any tips on snack that keep you feeling fuller for longer that are very low in calories, I guess I am just eating a lot of the wrong things :(

I'm going to start by saying I ditto what everyone else has said - 1200 calories is not enough. I'm going to forward you two links to articles that will help you out.

This first one talks about eating more to lose more weight: www.tinyurl.com/eatmoretolosemore

This next one is a list of healthy snacks for on the go. Things that are easy to prepare ahead of time and good for you: http://tinyurl.com/healthysnacksonthego

Hope those help!
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Substitution is the key. Eating cereal with milk in the morning? Try switching to oatmeal or have your cereal dry. Having lasagna for lunch? Cut your portion in half and supplement with fruits and veggies. I agree that there are a lot of foods which leave you feeling hungry... I tend to snack all day.
  • TaraTipp
    TaraTipp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I have to log off this for now, but will be checking those links out this evening, I really appreciate it x T
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Good protein and higher fiber items will help you feel fuller longer
  • dawj123
    dawj123 Posts: 1
    Options
    Not only eating bad food. You're cheating yourself, that you diateing. Look what are you doing, your goal is to fill yourself full with snacks, which give you in ten years the diabetis. You are on your way. Now you need only the alibi that is not your fault. I propose you to change your goals. Now your goal is to get the diabetis as fast as possible and be obese in 12 weeks. Then say yourself you'll be happy. Think about it honestly and tell the counterproposition which comes from your other party of the brain. The only thing you need is your responsibility. You must be happy with what you are doing and patiently await your gratification. It's on its way.
    For the case it is not the answer on your question about filling yourself within your calorie goal i propose WATER.
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    Well, since you only have a few pounds to lose 1200 is not enough for you to eat. The less you have to lose the smaller your caloric deficit should be. I would suggest changing your weekly loss goal to 0.5 lbs/week and make sure you eat back your exercise calories. This should give you enough food so you are not always hungry.

A goal of 1 lb/week is good if you have 20-50 lbs to lose, if you have 50-75or so 1.5/week, if you have more than 75lbs to lose 2lbs/week should be a good goal.

I would agree with this and comments about exercising to give yourself leeway. But then also suggest hummus and veggies or brown rice crackers as a snack. The protein and complex carbs should fill you up for longer. Make some up on a plate and then don't go back for more.