Bottomless Pit feeling

Options
Ok, sometimes I feel like I'm just hanging around, waiting for a mealtime or an excuse to eat-- even when working, watching tv, or being out with friends! How do you get rid of that constant mindfulness of food?

Replies

• tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't get rid of it, It will always be there for me. I just am teaching myself to think about what I can have that is healthy rather than the junk I used to think about.
  • destinationparadise
    Options
    I don't have the answer for that but I hope someone does because I have already had breakfast and a snack and I am still wanting something else to eat. :tongue:
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Maybe try and eat more foods that will keep you fuller longer? Higher protien?
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    Maybe eat small snacks throughout the day. I have a good breakfast, a protein snack after my workout, lunch, snack an hour before dinner, then dinner, and finally a final snack around 8. Recently I started eating 12-14 almonds with 16 oz of water. I noticed when I didn't eat little snacks throughout the day I was dreaming about lunch, dinner, etc. Even a greek yogurt, or celery with laughing cow cheese helps. It's crunchy, and creamy, and does the trick. How long have you been at this? It took me about 2 months to get use to my new lifestyle, but now it's like second nature.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It depends on why you are waiting around for food. Is it because you're hungry, or because of boredom/habit etc?

If you're hungry, then maybe you need to look at the food you;'e eating, or the way you're eating, to avoid the hunger pangs or long periods of no food in between meals - having smaller meals and more snacks, or eating food that keep you fuller for longer.

If it's habit/boredom, then that happens, but it will get better I think. For boredom, find a distraction tool, stay busy, keep active etc. I do think about food a lot at the moment, but mostly in terms of planning what to eat, how much I have left for the day etc, I dont often get the feeling that I can't wait for the next food though.

EDIT: OMG I've just realised I'm 1/5th of the way to my target! yay!!!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    For me I have to try to keep busy. I eat when I am bored.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    if I'm at home, I'll either fix a small salad or go for a walk :)
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Dude, if you're hungry, eat! Just don't eat junk...lol
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just saw on the Dr Oz show this week about the benefits of taking apple pectin. When you take it before a meal it expands and allows your body to breakdown (?) food slower so you feel fuller much longer. He says 500mg 3x a day before your meals.

Just a thought :flowerforyou:
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Alot of times when I feel the need to eat I will get a cup of hot tea and sip on that...it seems to take away the craving and I think the warmness of the tea makes me feel like I am not hungry anymore! good luck
  • cowropingirl
    cowropingirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It has helped me to focus on foods higher in protein and less on foods that are high in carbs, especially sugars. Cutting processed foods and stuff with artificial flavors, colors and additives & preservatives helped me as well. And I dont drink diet soda anymore...when I was drinking diet soda I was ALWAYS craving anything! I think your body gets tricked by your taste buds thinking its getting sugar and then when it doesnt get it, it starts wanting it more...plus they are full of stuff your body doesnt need. If I want a soda, I drink something like the sierra mist natural with real sugar, I've had a 12 pack for over a month and only two are gone....really, I dont crave them at all. Good luck!
  • kelstahzz
    kelstahzz Posts: 6
    Options
    For me, it's been a process. I used to be hungry all the freakin time. What you said about always waiting around to eat? Definitely rang a bell. So, the first thing I did was to start eating breakfast right after waking up, instead of an hour or two later. Seems like the earlier I eat, the less hungry I am, and the full feeling lasts longer. I also cleaned up my diet big time. I dropped soda and fast food cold turkey, and started eating salad/veggies before the 'real food'. Next thing you know, I'm out with my friends for all you can eat wings, and all I could eat was a heck of a lot less than it used to be.
  • sittingduck180
    Options
    thanks everybody!
  • Kbridges82
    Kbridges82 Posts: 5
    Options
    Just because you're hungry doesn't mean you need to eat. Our bodies get used to a calorie surplus and stuffing ourselves, and it will take time to adjust. Eat your pre-determined intake for the day, only eating more if you're feeling lethargic or light-headed (you shouldn't feel this way unless you're starving yourself). The hunger gets better as your stomach shrinks. Try drinking more water to feel fuller.

Remember: no one said this would be easy, but it will certainly be worth it.
  • cowropingirl
    cowropingirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    another thing was at the beginning it was better for me to eat 4-5 small meals a day instead of 2-3 larger ones...it helped my stomach shrink so that when I was getting fuller faster.