Question for all of the success stories out there...

Options
What is THE most important thing that you've done to help you get the weight off and keep it off? If you could only choose one thing, what would it be?

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    water....lots and lots of water =)
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    Exercise, exercise, exercise! Second would the realization that 2500 mg of sodium is too much for a day. I lowered mine to 1500 mg.
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options

I concur with this, too! ;)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options

Could not agree more!
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Patience ; )

I eat a lot better than I did in the past: more protein, more fruits and veggies... but I don't freak out if I have an off day. MFP resets at midnight, you do too. Tomorrow you can review your food journal and change your eating behavior. No worries : )
  • karenyg
    karenyg Posts: 79
    Options
    :smile: Exercise and eat my calorie intake to not go in starvation mode.
  • Marjorielk
    Marjorielk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    logging my food
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Meditation and breathing techniques to control my cravings… And Muay Thai :bigsmile:
  • LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    Logging everything I put into my mouth! Definitely!
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me it's been the psychological/emotional part of it. It's so easy to get discouraged when the weight isn't falling off. I also spent a lot of time getting scared that I wouldn't lose anymore. After 20 lbs, I thought "Well, What if this is it? I'm still fat. What if my body just stops losing weight?" I did the same thing at 30lbs, and every 5 lbs after. I did it today! I'm so close to my goal and am scared to death that this is it! So, through all of this, I have to always, always remind myself the science of it all. If I have a calorie deficit, I will lose weight. Maybe not at the rate I want, but it WILL come off. It's slow and steady, so enjoy the ride! You've got to continue to remind yourself the TRUTH, not the lies we tell ourselves. The lies are what got us here in the first place. And, it's so very important to have a person or people to turn to that genuinely love you to voice your fears over and over again. This journey has changed me from the inside out and it will you too!!
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with patience too. And I'm not a patient lady. But if you listen to your body and take care of it- it will reward you. Just not always as quickly as most of us would like.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Logging everything that goes into my body. It's an awakening to see the sugar, sodium, and calorie content of those things I used to call food!!!
  • MsTamzyK
    MsTamzyK Posts: 45
    Options
    Being consistent in my journey to weightloss. Sure every now and then I fall off, but it's about being mentally committed to achieving your personal short and long-term goals! Good question :smile:
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I would say that there are a couple of reasons I have maintained successfully:

1) Continued regular exercise
    2) Portions - I ate fairly well before, but ate oversized portions, and didn't watch my sodium intake at all. Now I keep an eye on both.
    3) Drinking - I switched to water back in January, and eliminated the 4-5 sodas a day.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Externalizing it. "Me" and my body are not the same. I will still be "me" no matter what my body looks like. I need to take care of my body so I can do all the things that I want to do.
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Controlling my diet. I worked out hard for 2 months and didn't hardly lose anything because my diet was crap. I've cleaned it up (some) and am seeing results again.
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Great topic ----> keep em comin people :smile:!
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I wish it was just one thing that keeps me on the rails!

I'm not at my goal weight, but what;s helping me so far is the following:

1) Community supported agriculture. I get a box that has $45 of organic produce delivered weekly. It helps me to eat a very broad variety of fruits and vegetables. Since I've already bought it, I'm too thrifty to just waste it. Note too that organic produce often delivers more bang for the buck. The pieces are a bit smaller, and they often have a bit less sugar and are otherwise more nutritious

2) Exercise.

3) Finding high fiber pre-prepared meals that I really like.

4) Having a weight loss buddy at my fitness pal.

5) Adjust my calories up slightly. I've done Lose It! too which allowed me more calories per day. When I first tried MFP, I just couldn't stay on it. I was so, so hungry and even though I was really struggling to meet my goals, I just wasn't losing. So I decided to try half a pound per week. Now, I feel hungry, but not to the point where I can't tune it out. I can be successful and meet my goal every day. And I guess I must be pretty active because I'm losing a pound per week. So for me, adjusting up a bit helped. I guess that files under pay attention to the messages you body sends you.

6) The number one thing without question is My Fitness Pal!!! Logging calories works. Meeting my daily goal makes me feel like a winner even if the scale doesn't always show progress. I know I'm succeeding every time I see the message of "goal met."
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Believe in myself and that I can do this. I truelly believe that you body can only accomplish what your mind will let it so you need to get into the mindframe that you truely believe you can live a healthy lifestyle. Once your head is in the game, it is easier to live the lifestyle needed to lose the weight and be healthier.