For those with Grain intolerances

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
I've been wondering lately If I might have an intolerance to wheat based on some symptoms I've been having and on having read up on the subject a little bit. Because I've been wondering about it I decided to remove wheat from my diet for awhile and see how I feel. Then in a few weeks or so I'll try eating some and see how that affects me and then I guess I'll know if I have an issue with it or not. (I have no insurance so going and getting tested isn't going to happen.)

I have plenty of experience with a variety of grains so I won't be cutting other grains out at this time but I don't eat a lot of grain products as it is. If I continue to have issues I'll start looking at all gluten filled items next instead of just wheat.

I am wondering though if those of you with intolerances could tell me what kinds of symptoms you have when you eat grains and about how long it takes for them to disappear when you cut them out (or conversely, how long it takes for them to appear when you've eaten something you shouldn't.) How much of an impact has it had on your health to remove the grains that don't agree with you? We cook almost everything from scratch so I have a lot of control over what's in our food. I even mill my own flour and keep one of my mills wheat free so doing other grains in it won't contaminate me. :)

What are your experiences? (I do know about Primal Eating but I am not ready to go that route at this time. It doesn't mean I don't want to hear from you though. :smile: )

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Intense stomach cramps and uncomfortable elimination caused by wheat. Sorry if that's TMI, but that's what happens...
  • BigDBJ
    BigDBJ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you take a look at www.celiac.com. This has lots of information and may be helpful. I would also recommend that you see your doctor as there is a blood test that can be done. It might not give you all the answers, but it would be a good place to start.