Perplexed by protein

Options
Hi everyone!

I only joined MFP the other day and am busy reading loads of topics on the message boards. Its all very interesting reading but I have to be honest I am getting perplexed about protein.

What are the best foods to increase my protein levels? I thought the Atkins diet was high protein and I have read some very conflicting things about this kind of diet.

My partner has a protein shake (whey protein I think) after working out but I thought that kinda thing was just for guys wanting to keep muscle definition (as I said I am clearly new and clueless).

I am calorie counting and not sure how I can incorporate the right kind of protein.

Add me as a friend if you like cos I sure could use support from like minded people!
Thanks guys!

Replies

• fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am a gastric bypass patient and we are taught to put protein first at every meal to prevent muscle loss during rapid weight loss. I am 4 years out but I still have a protein ice coffee every morning for breakfast and I eat a lot of tuna, chicken, peanut butter, etc. Protein supplements aren't necessarily for people trying to bulk up.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    While a protein supplement might not be necessary it is helpful and convenient. It is not only for those trying to bulk up muscle either. Taking a protein shake after an intense workout, especially a strength training workout, will help your muscles recover faster. The advantage of whey protein in that case is that it is digested quickly, getting the amino acids to your muscles quickly. BTW, I do recommend strength training for weight loss. It will help maintain your muscle while you lose fat. Without it, you are likely to lose muscle along with the fat. Back to the advantages of protein supplements, they can provide protein without lots of carbs and fat, thus helping keep within your calorie budget. Yes, it is not necessary, but it is convenient and can be helpful.
  • joegeiselman
    joegeiselman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie content is made up from proteins, carbs and fats. You need all of them to be healthy. I support balanced nutrition and strongly believe that low carb or super high protein diets are horrible for your body.

In order to achieve a healthy balance of proteins carbs and fats, you need to eat a lot of different foods. Supplements (like protein shakes) are just that. SUPPLEMENTS to your daily food intake. I take one protein shake after my workout because I am a little deficient in my protein intake. I shoot for a split of 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. I know that MFP is set up quite a bit differently, but this works for me, and is a generally accepted healthy balance for weight lifters.

Now, proteins and carbs have 4 calories for every gram. Fat has 9 calories for every gram.

So, if your goal diet is 2000 calories, your daily intake should look something like this (using my percentages anyways)

1000 calories from carbs (250 grams)
    600 calories from proteins (150 grams)
    400 calories from fats (45 grams)

back to your first question. Here are some great sources of protein:
    Good Sources of Protein
    Eggs - Grand daddy of all foods. I like to have 1 whole egg for every 3 whites. So breakfast might include 6 egg whites and 2 whole eggs.
    Liquid Egg Whites - This is just pure egg whites. More convenient than cracking all the eggs and discarding the yolk but will cost you a little more.
    Skinless Chicken Breast or Cutlets - Lean inexpensive high quality protein, Staple of every diet.
    Lean Ground Turkey - Lean high quality protein. Little more expensive than chicken breast.
    Top Round Steak - Lean cut of meat. Has more fat than chicken but great source of meat. Definitely something you want to have in the off-season and can be eaten while dieting in moderation.
    Filet Mignon - Tasty lean cut of meat. Expensive but worth it every once in a while.
    Buffalo - Lean red meat, very tasty but super expensive. Give it a try.
    Founder - Inexpensive lean fish.
    Cod - Inexpensive lean fish.
    Pollack - Lean fish.
    Wild Salmon - Healthy fatty fish. I get my salmon wild because the quality is a lot better but that results in a higher cost.
    Canned Tuna - Lean inexpensive fish. If you worry about your sodium you might want to cut down on this. Make sure you get the one in water not oil.
    Turkey Bacon - Leaner than regular bacon, not something I have all the time but I am a bacon lover so adding this to my breakfast in the off-season is something I like.
    Lean Ground Beef - Make sure you get something that is at least 90% lean. This can be a great off-season source of protein.
    Cottage Cheese - Slow digesting form of protein. Great for having when you have to go a long time in-between meals and also excellent to have before bed.
    Pork Tenderloin - Inexpensive Lean protein.
    Wild Sea Bass - Lean high quality protein. Expensive side.
    Wild Swordfish - Lean high quality protein. Expensive.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I am doing strength training to maintain (or gain) muscle while I try to lose fat. I set my goals in MFP to a more balanced ratio of protein, carbs, and fats. I'm using 35% each for protein and carbs, and 30% from fats. I use protein shakes after a workout, eat Greek yogurt (very high protein) and egg white omelettes as sources of extra protein. Maybe I should reset my goals to 40% carbs, since that's closer to what I actually manage to eat. Or given my recent plateauing, cut carbs more. I just don't know sometimes.
  • joegeiselman
    joegeiselman Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am doing strength training to maintain (or gain) muscle while I try to lose fat. I set my goals in MFP to a more balanced ratio of protein, carbs, and fats. I'm using 35% each for protein and carbs, and 30% from fats. I use protein shakes after a workout, eat Greek yogurt (very high protein) and egg white omelettes as sources of extra protein. Maybe I should reset my goals to 40% carbs, since that's closer to what I actually manage to eat. Or given my recent plateauing, cut carbs more. I just don't know sometimes.

those are great sources of protein that you listed. If you have hit a platueu, try switching your diet up. IMO 35% carbs is kind of low and remember that most of our energy throughout the day does come from carbs. So if you are feeling burned out or out of energy, upping carbs may give you the boost you need.

Of course your other option for breaking the plateau is changing up your workout.