Got (raw) Milk?

Options
freerange
freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
1997, 28 persons ill from Salmonella in California, ALL FROM PASTEURIZED MILK.

1996, 46 persons ill from Campylobacter and Salmonella in California.

1994, 105 persons ill from E. coli and Listeria in California

March of 1985 19,660 confirmed cases of Salmonella typhimurium illness FROM CONSUMING PROPERLY PASTEURIZED MILK. Over 200,000 people ill from Salmonella typhimurium in PASTEURIZED MILK

1985, 142 cases and 47 deaths traced to PASTEURIZED Mexican-style cheese contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. Listeria monocytogenes SURVIVES PASTEURIZATION!

1985, 1500 persons ill from Salmonella infection

August of 1984 approximately 200 persons became ill with a Salmonella typhimurium from CONSUMING PASTEURIZED MILK

November of 1984, another outbreak of Salmonella typhimurium illness from CONSUMING PASTEURIZED MILK

1983, over 49 persons with Listeria illness have been associated with the consumption of PASTEURIZED MILK in Massachusetts.

1993, 28 persons ill from Salmonella infection

1982, 172 persons ill (100 hospitalized) from a three Southern state area from PASTEURIZED MILK.

1982, over 17,000 persons became ill with Yersinia enterocolitica from PASTEURIZED MILK bottled in Memphis, Tennessee.
The only healthy milk comes from contented cows living natural cow lives in pastures. If you want milk that's full of pus resulting from the mastitis of sick cows, then drink pasteurized milk. Healthy raw milk comes from healthy cows. Sick pasteurized milk comes from sick cows living in sick environments.

When cows are stored in sick environments, they become sick and produce sick milk requiring pasteurization so it won't kill you. Modern factory farming reduces dairy cattle to barely living milk-producing sacs. They are pain-wracked, live in fear, are starved for relationships with their fellows, pumped full of antibiotics and other system-changing drugs. Obviously, they can produce only sick milk.
First of all, please understand that I do not recommend drinking pasteurized milk of any kind -- ever. Because once milk has been pasteurized it's more or less "dead," and offers little in terms of real nutritional value to anyone, whether you show signs of intolerance to the milk or not.

Valuable enzymes are destroyed, vitamins (such as A, C, B6 and B12) are diminished, fragile milk proteins are radically transformed from health nurturing to unnatural amino acid configurations that can actually worsen your health. Finally the eradication of beneficial bacteria through the pasteurization process actually ends up promoting pathogens.

Replies

• Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Spectacular! When our babies needed regular milk after I was done BFing we bought raw goat's milk since it's unlawful in our state to buy raw cow's milk. Now that they are grown I avoid any other animal's milk at all costs.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    We drink organic raw milk
    Not much though.
    We have to make real efforts to finish a half gallon before the week is up.

When it sours, I make Custard with it.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Growing up on a dairy farm, I take great offense to the second set of quotes. If the place you sell your milk to finds something such as mastitis or anything else in your milk, they will dump your milk and you will not get paid and quite sure fined due to losing everyone else's milk as well. They take a sample EVERY TIME they pick up milk, so if something is found, it's dumped. Farmers treat mastitis, or any other disease, as soon as it's found as that is money lost. The cows are not terrified, pain wrecked, live in fear, etc, because if they are, they don't produce milk. If they don't produce milk, you don't get paid. They actually have a very nice life.

As for the first set of quotes, mistakes happen. Roughly 156.7 million gallons of milk is consumed each year. No industry can be 100% safe, you hear about recalls on all sorts of food all the time.
  • cboos
    cboos Posts: 9
    Options
    In 2000, there were 41,945 car accident fatalities
    In 2001, there were 42,196
    In 2002, there were 43,005
    In 2003, there were 42,643
    In 2004, there were 42,836
    In 2005, there were 43,443
    In 2006, there were 42,642
    In 2007, there were 41,059
    In 2008, there were 37,261
    In 2009, there were 33,808
    In 2010, there were 32,708

Let's stop driving.
  • freerange
    Options
    Growing up on a dairy farm, I take great offense to the second set of quotes. If the place you sell your milk to finds something such as mastitis or anything else in your milk, they will dump your milk and you will not get paid and quite sure fined due to losing everyone else's milk as well. They take a sample EVERY TIME they pick up milk, so if something is found, it's dumped. Farmers treat mastitis, or any other disease, as soon as it's found as that is money lost. The cows are not terrified, pain wrecked, live in fear, etc, because if they are, they don't produce milk. If they don't produce milk, you don't get paid. They actually have a very nice life.

As for the first set of quotes, mistakes happen. Roughly 156.7 million gallons of milk is consumed each year. No industry can be 100% safe, you hear about recalls on all sorts of food all the time.

What size of a dairy farm did you grow up on?
  • freerange
    Options

Let's stop driving.

You first :smile:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

That second set of quotes is coming from the "factory" farm system........not pastured cows on local and family farms.

Our family had a dairy farm in which they were left to pasture except for going into the barn to be milked. We had over 500 cows and there were 3 milking times.

Cows that had just given birth did not get their milk used until after a vet came out and checked them to ensure there was no infections such as mastitis....

We also used to turn the mixer off in the tank and let the cream settle so we could skim it for making butter, having heavy cream for coffee and making ice cream.......
  • freerange
    Options

And this post isn’t so much a condemnation of Pasteurized Milk, as it is a response to this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/244704-raw-milk. I drink and eat pasteurized milk and milk products all the time, because this stupid State I live in won’t allow raw milk.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options

And this post isn’t so much a condemnation of Pasteurized Milk, as it is a response to this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/244704-raw-milk. I drink and eat pasteurized milk and milk products all the time, because this stupid State I live in won’t allow raw milk.

And I'm located very close to the Amish heartland.... Fed Govt does undercover "stings" on them all the time. Really? On the Amish?? :grumble:
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Let's stop driving.

The difference is the government doesn't have regulations that are to be followed that purportedly guarantee driving safety.
  • cboos
    Options
    Sure they do, don't they. Stop signs, traffic lights, speed limits, mandatory seat belt laws, no passing zones, laws against driving while intoxicated, mandates on car safety systems. You don't get a license unless you pass the tests given by gov't employees. If you follow all the rules, you're guaranteed not to have an accident. :)
  • Grokette
    Options
    Sure they do, don't they. Stop signs, traffic lights, speed limits, mandatory seat belt laws, no passing zones, laws against driving while intoxicated, mandates on car safety systems. You don't get a license unless you pass the tests given by gov't employees. If you follow all the rules, you're guaranteed not to have an accident. :)

Not true there................

I follow the rules of the road and was hit from the rear by an idiot texting while driving 95 miles per hour on the interstate. It nearly killed me.
  • Zeromilediet
    Options
    A local farmer has been selling raw milk for decades and been to court repeatedly to defend his right to sell to people who want to buy and consume same. Recently a court ruled that his "cow-share" program (all users own shares in a cow) is legal and members of the cow-share can consume the milk. None of the users of his milk has ever been ill as a result of the milk. Personally I don't drink milk, but what does affect me is the heavy handed approach the government takes to addressing issues about public safety and raw milk. If they're so concerned, rather than banning it, how about ensuring producers use good practices? I'd speculate there's pressure from the dairy lobby? Hmmmm ....
  • cboos
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. Glad your still with us though. I said "If you follow...". I actually meant "If everyone follows...". Like your texter, if he'd followed the rules, you'd have been safer.
  • Zeromilediet
    Options

Guaranteed? Really? By your logic then, there should be no--none--reports of illness as a result of consuming pasturized milk.
  • Grokette
    Options
    A local farmer has been selling raw milk for decades and been to court repeatedly to defend his right to sell to people who want to buy and consume same. Recently a court ruled that his "cow-share" program (all users own shares in a cow) is legal and members of the cow-share can consume the milk. None of the users of his milk has ever been ill as a result of the milk. Personally I don't drink milk, but what does affect me is the heavy handed approach the government takes to addressing issues about public safety and raw milk. If they're so concerned, rather than banning it, how about ensuring producers use good practices? I'd speculate there's pressure from the dairy lobby? Hmmmm ....

Yes, and I read some where that they are trying to put their hands in the CSA world too and make it illegal to purchase fruits, veggies and meats from CSA's...........
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Yes, and I read some where that they are trying to put their hands in the CSA world too and make it illegal to purchase fruits, veggies and meats from CSA's...........

Ding! Ding! Ding! Follow the money trail!
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    eh, its not for me thanks but no
  • freerange
    Options
    eh, its not for me thanks but no

Brilliant,,,,, that’s exactly as it should be,,,,,, it’s not for me, I won’t buy it,,,,, or it is for me let me buy it if I want to.

None of this government sponsored, big money backed scare tactics and lies about how you’re going to die if you drink raw milk. As the links I posted show you are just as likely to die from drinking (if not more likely) from drinking pasteurized milk as from raw. No one here is saying YOU HAVE TO DRINK RAW MILK :frown: or even, there should be no regulations on producers of raw milk. Let me have the choice (Freedom) to buy what I want to, I’m a grown man and can weigh the risk and evaluate the farm on my own before I drink it. Unlike now where the only choice I have is to drink milk offered at the store with some government seal, trucked in from who knows where.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

What size of a dairy farm did you grow up on?

I grew up in northern illinois and the farms usually had around 150 - 250 milking at any time. I drank milk straight from the bulk tank while growing up and never had any problems.