People who judge their success with a tape measure, i have a

registers
registers Posts: 782 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Just wondering, what is a good goal to have in terms of waist measurements for 1 month? And you measure around the stomach right? or hips???

Replies

• sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    I think it depends on where you are starting from and how much your willing to work.
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    I was always told to measure one inch below navel. I also find this to be one of the LAST places I see results.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    I need to start doing measurements too - my scale is all over the place, but my pants and shirts are getting more loose every week.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    i do it dead on my bellybutton, least i know i get it in the same place each time :noway:
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    I think men and women measure different things.

Men: Neck, Chest, Waist, Hips.
    Women: Chest, Waist, Hips.

Here's what I found on Men's measuring::

Neck size:
    Measure around the base of the neck.

Chest size:
    Take measurements under armpits, around fullest part of chest and shoulder blades.

Waist size:
    Measure around where you normally wear your pants, keeping the tape measure a bit loose or putting one finger between your body and the tape measure.

Hips
    Stand with legs about six inches apart and measure around the fullest part of the hips.
  • Plarmore
    Plarmore Posts: 17
    I'm not sure what to expect for a goal. I measure and record upper arms (around the biceps), chest, waist, hips, and thighs and I do it once per week on the same day and time (Saturday morning before breakfast).

In the first week, I lost 2" in both waist and hips, but gained 1" in each of arms and legs for a 2" net loss. This will likely slow as time goes on, but I have a lot to loose - especially around the middle...
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    I take my measurements monthly but I don't set measurement goals. I use it as a tool to track progress and as a motivation when the scale is acting funny. Sometimes my handwork doesn't show on the scale but it always shows in the measurement.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I take my measurements monthly but I don't set measurement goals. I use it as a tool to track progress and as a motivation when the scale is acting funny. Sometimes my handwork doesn't show on the scale but it always shows in the measurement.

Same here. I don't have a weekly or monthly inch goal either, but use the tape measure as a tool to track my progress.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    i don"t know for sure but i think it'''s a inch a month
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member

Same here. I don't have a weekly or monthly inch goal either, but use the tape measure as a tool to track my progress.

Yep, me too! I also use my once-a-month measuring to estimate my body fat, using this site:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

Do I expect that it's a perfect measurement? Nope. Does it give me a good idea of the direction I'm trending in? Definitely!
This discussion has been closed.