TFCC Injuries, Anyone?

Options
I was recently diagnosed with a TFCC tear (Triangular Fibro-cartilage Complex) in my wrist. I was hoping to avoid surgery but that is really the only option to repair it since this area of the wrist is avascular and receives no blood flow. I would be out of the weightlifting game for about 4-6 months, maybe more depending on how it heals. Its no guarantee that the pain would disappear or that I would regain full strength in my wrist. Currently I can do all exercises except anything overhead or curling motions (bench press, tricep extensions, barbell curl).

Working out has become one of the most valuable things in my life and I would hate to give it up completely for 4-6 months, but I'm out of options here. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has had a similar injury and if surgery was worth it.

thanks

PS- I realize I would still be able to do some cardio, but thats not exactly conducive to adding lean mass.

Replies

• ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    2 things immediately pop into my mind:

1) A fixed-position wrist stabilizer. If your wrist can't move into extension or ulnar deviation, you can still get some strength training in there

...that being said...

2) Due to the limitations of your TFCC, switch to machines. I know, I know, free weights are better and I agree. But the fixed position of the machines combined with the wrist stabilizer would give you -some- ability.

However, check with your ortho. They may completely disagree with every word I just said. But I'm speaking from an athletic trainer point of view. If you have more questions, message me. I'll do a bit more research on it and see if I can come up with anything else for you! :-)