40-30-30 micronutrients break down?

Options
So, the question is.. if you are using custom set goals what do you set your micronutrients to be?

By default with 1200 calories per day MFP gives 2500 mg of sodium (which seems too high for me, I set 1900), 13.8 g of fiber (which I feel is too low, I set 35). And then potassium, sugar, saturated fat? I have no idea what these numbers are supposed to be.

What do you think?

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The "Default" settings are 55% Carb, 30% fat and 15% protein which is basically the recommendations from the FDA Food Guide. It all depends on what your goals are.

Carbs and Fats are your primary energy sources and protein in your tissue builders. Individuals doing alot of physical activity generally look to increase their protein to about 0.7 - 1g/lb of lean body weight.

Also , Fats have 9 calories/gram while Carbs and proteins have 4 cals/gram. This is where the thinking of the Low-fat diets is based from as less-fat equals less calories (for the same amount of carbs and proteins), but portions and serving sizes are often misleading under these principles.

The "Low Carb" diets often go to the other extreme with people not being aware of the types of carbs they're eating, and take them as being all bad, rather than watching their processed foods and simple sugar intake.

Best solutions, is monitor your food intake at the defaul levels for a couple weeks and see where you are eating at. Is it meeting your goals? Are there areas in which you're constantly over, or under?

That will allow you to see where you're currently at, and adjust your percentages accordingly.
  • streko3a
    streko3a Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was actually asking about micronutrients, not macronutrients. I've chosen 40-30-30 relation between carbs, fats and protein for now and going to stick with it for a while. The question was about other nutrients that you can set up in custom goal settings.