shape up the flabby arms

Options
Hey I need help with my flabby arms :sad:

What is a good excesice to help shape up and lose the fat around my arms.

HELP!!!! Any good tip will do.

Replies

• naniu
    naniu Posts: 17
    Options

• iowaporter
    Options
    This is just a thought based on my understanding of weight-lifting theory and experience. If you lift heavier weights with fewer reps, you will increase muscle size and strength. If you lift lighter weights for more reps you will increase tone. I think what you are interested in is the latter. So, you want to do some light weight-lifting. An extreme version of this would be to get some wrist weights (1-2 lbs.) and wear them around during the day all day long. After a few weeks, you should notice a difference. I actually do this, and have noticed more definition in my muscles.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Cardio.

You can't spot reduce, but you can tone. Any basic arm workout will help.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Bicep curls,. tricep exercises and shoulder exercises. For triceps, you take a weight, over your head, and bring it down behind your head to your neck. If you are lying down, put them overy your head, and bend you elbows until the weight is at you ears. Shoulders, stand feet hip width apart, raise weights until shoulders, forming a square and push them over your head. Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps, 2-3 times a week.
  • carvan
    Options

Bicep curls,. tricep exercises and shoulder exercises. For triceps, you take a weight, over your head, and bring it down behind your head to your neck. If you are lying down, put them overy your head, and bend you elbows until the weight is at you ears. Shoulders, stand feet hip width apart, raise weights until shoulders, forming a square and push them over your head. Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps, 2-3 times a week.
  • naniu
    naniu Posts: 17
    Options

I will try that thanks Carvan.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I had 2 friends who both needed to lose more than 100 pounds.

The first friend had gastric bypass and thought this was all she needed to do. She didnt exercise or lift weights and lost 110 pounds. She looked GREAT in her size 8 dress, but not when she took it off.

My 2nd friend also had gastric bypass. She started with cardio and weight training before the surgery. As soon as she could after the sx she went back to simple-like that which is listed above-weight training.

You can so see the difference. Her arms are tighter, her legs look 100 x better than the other girl. She does have excess skin due to the quick weight loss, but the difference is incredible.

The doctor told her to train steadily to help avoid the excess skin issue.

I am a firm believer in strength exercises. There are some great websites that will give you upper and lower body workouts, but the simple exercises listed by carvan do the trick!

I had to remember after months of working out that my flab would not be gone until, well my FLAB was gone. But I am now seeing some of the results. The muscle is under there....just waiting to come out! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

What she said!!!
  • carvan
    Options
    Thanks Dude!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Ooooh so glad this was posted...I was inquiring about this on a thread that I started (strength training for beginners)...and there's some great information that was shared here that wasn't shared there...I am far from my goal weight, but I don't want to lose all of the weight and then all at once have to try to tone up...so now that I have been on this program for 7 weeks I am starting to incorporate some strength training and resistance into my exercise regimen...I am particularly worried about my arms...I don't think I'll ever get into a bikini so I am not all that worried about my stomach...but I do want to be able to wear cute sleeveless dresses!
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    Remember too form and technique are crucial. Also, like Carol said keep the reps above 10 otherwise you're in the hypertrophy phase.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Remember too form and technique are crucial. Also, like Carol said keep the reps above 10 otherwise you're in the hypertrophy phase.

What is hypertrophy?
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

What is hypertrophy?

Increase in muscle fiber size. It's what most normal, nonsteroid, world class olympic athletic females try to avoid. It's what most guys at some point want also, but once some achieve realize they're better with more lean strong muscles than large bulky and poorly flexible ones. :laugh:
  • de_mcgaby
    Options
    same problem here :grumble: doesnt matter how much I loose arm alway look fat :sad:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options

What she said!!!
    Ditto! This is what I do and no flabby wave :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • p90x_Dude
    Options
    same problem here :grumble: doesnt matter how much I loose arm alway look fat :sad:

What activities are you doing to tone the arms?

remember specificity of activity - meaning work specifically on what you want to accomplish.

Example if I want a six pack and it's genetically possible for me to actually reveal it, I'd need to
    1. eat nearly pefectly (talking about me now)
    2. develop the abdominals via exercise
    3. burn calories in the area to decrease the adipose cover

To firm up the arms incorporate a cardiovascular activity that involves the arm (ex. airdyne bike, elliptical with arm movement and swimming are a few good ones). Also strength training with again low weight and high reps.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I keep sets of dumbells right by the couch. If I'm watching a TV show, my rule is that during commercials I pick them up and do curls, overhead tricep curls, rows, extended armlifts - for the whole commercial break. It has been showing - plus it has the added side effect of keeping you from visiting the kitchen during the break.
    If you have Tivo - oh well, I tried. ( :
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

What is hypertrophy?

Increase in muscle fiber size. It's what most normal, nonsteroid, world class olympic athletic females try to avoid. It's what most guys at some point want also, but once some achieve realize they're better with more lean strong muscles than large bulky and poorly flexible ones. :laugh:

So, I need to keep reps ABOVE 10 with a lighter weight or with any weight?
  • p90x_Dude
    Options

What is hypertrophy?

Lighter weight, reps 12-15 causes the muscle to go into more of an aerobic workout which requires more energy for longer periods of time (anaerobic workouts use up stored glycogen). What you'd be conditioning that muscle to do is pull constantly from it's most viable source of energy (fat). Well the advantage is it will pull from the fat closest to it, again specificity.

So, I need to keep reps ABOVE 10 with a lighter weight or with any weight?
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I ask cause I have deccent muscle....UNDER the fat.....
    So, I don't want them much "bigger" but I still want them to maintain their tone while I shed pounds.