Question about sugars vs calories

Options
Hello all. I was wondering just how important it is to be under on the sugars in a day vs the calories. I am usually a couple hundred calories below my target, but I often go over with my sugars. Should I be concerned going over by a dozen or so grams of sugar? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know. Bump!
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    From personal experience thus far I have lost 35 pounds and I have been over my sugars plenty of times. Most folks will say you only need to incorporate 'good' sugars in your diet like fruits and whatnot, but for me it's not alway that easy. It got to the point where I started obsessing over going over my sugars for the day to where I changed my food diary to show fiber instead of sugars now. Either way I would say don't 'stress' over it, but try to be cautious when you can.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    only really if you are diabetic, or pre-diabetic. The other issue with sugar is you get energy highs and lows vs consistent energy as you get from complex carbs.
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    definitely. you've got to cut out the sugars. especially the processed kind. most fruits are great for you as far as vitamins are concerned, but they come loaded with sugar. when i eat fruits, i do so sparingly and as a treat. they make a great substitute for a even worse desert, but i wouldn't use them a a dietary staple. of course this is all assuming your sugar is coming from fruit. if your sugars are coming from more complex sources like whole grains, then its not as big of a concern but you should still dial it back a bit. carbs, like sugar, are you bodies chief source of energy and if you ingest a surplus of them, you body will just store them, as fat.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The system doesn't differentiate between simple, processed and naturally occuring sugars. (I.E....you can log an Apple and log a Chocolate Chip Cookie, and chances they'll show up similar) Difference is in the Kind of sugars.

Essentially, "Sugar" is Glucoce, Lactose, Fructose and all the other "ose's", which upon digestion are converted into Glycogen to be stored as your primary energy source in the body.

Being "over" in your suger is not generally a problem, however you want to be aware of where your sugars are coming from. Fruits and Vegetables will log as having high amounts of sugar, but they should be considered differently from say the 4 teaspons of granulated sugar in your morning coffee, or similar sweet desserts and such.

take a look at your entire diary over the course of a week and see where your sugars are coming from. IF you find there are alot of non-natural sources, look to where you cna make changes for something more natural.
  • Ndskuse
    Ndskuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the responses! I have looked at this and about half of my sugars are from my cereals/milks, but about half come from fruits/veggies/yogurts. Does this mean I am getting the wrong ones?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    The wrong sugars are what is added to you foods. so check the yogurt you are eating and skip the bananas if the sugar is a problem for you. You are doing fine though. :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I landed on this topic because I've been learning about the impact of sugar on the diet.

It is especially important for "apple" shaped people, who store fat primarily in the midsection (think heavy in the chest, belly, abdomen area, with thinner arms and legs) to be mindful of sugar consumption. A diet that reduces sugars, focuses on whole grains (vs. refined grains), fruits and veggies, lean protein, monounsaturated fats (think nuts, olives, etc.) is recommended to lose and keep off excess weight around the middle.

This is important for health as much as for vanity. "Apple" shaped people store have more visceral fat (fat you can't see, that affects your organs) and may result in heart disease, diabetes, liver problems, various kinds of cancers and dementia.

Sorry if this is beyond the scope of what you were asking, but lots of people read these forums... if anyone with the unfortunate apple shape (like me!) comes across it, it might be helpful.

Good luck to you!