need some help

Options
Alright guys this is my first post. I started at 227 lbs in february and im down to 210 lbs as of monday. I strictly use the nutritional guidelines that MFP provided me along with some other research I've done. Im extremely self-conscious so I have limited myself to at-home workouts. I run on the elliptical 30-40 minutes Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesday and Thursday, I do my "strength" days. I put the quotes because im at home with virtually no equipment. I have some hand weights that I use and I work on arms, glutes and abs. I have a hip disease and its very painful. I work through it almost 100% of the time. I already do more than im supposed to. My point is: I don't see 17 lbs worth of changes on my body. My clothes fit much differently - I have gone from a size 38 jeans to 34 and im proud of that, but I don't SEE it. Im aware there is a difference between losing weight and burning fat, so here's the question: do I need to go to the gym - in public :'( - to burn this fat? Or will my elliptical/hand weight workouts at home do the trick with more time. Thanks everyone.

Also, I know people are at the gym to workout, not to stare at the fat people. And I also know I will be far from the heaviest person at the gym - its just years of self-consciousness playing its role. I worked at this gym for about 6 months too, so I know most of the people there - and I would be going with my older brother and 2 mutual friends. Just some fun-facts :) thanks again!

Replies

• Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I had the same problem when starting to work out. The fitness center at our dining hall for the dorms is a small room surrounded by windows on three sides. To keep myself from thinking about all the people who are walking outside or in the room, I put on my headphones and turn them up to the point where I can't hear any outside noises. Another thing that helps is our treadmills have screens where you can plug in an iPod and watch a movie off it or watch tv. That helps me keep focused on the screen and not at what is around me. Thinking about these things and not about the people around me has helped me greatly and has made working out fun!
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi, Wow, you sound like you are doing alot. Don't worry, I lot 36 so far and still can't tell. I think it takes a while to notice the change. You are doing great so far so keep it up.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

No, you don't Need a gym to meet your goals. It's just a tool that is one of many choices regarding being healthy. I myself am currently doing elite level sports training 6x a week but I can do my entire program in my backyard with a couple dumbbells so it's not necessary.

It sounds like you're on the right track and congrats on the progress and success you've already had. From what you've written, I would suggest that most of your self-conciousness is "all in your mind" (I know....Thank you Capt. Obvious) :-)

We're always the hardest on ourselves and will see things that others don't see because we have this pre-conceived notion of how we want to be, that makes it very difficult to see the progress and changes we've already made along the way.

If you want to up your game, I'd be happy to help you find several additoins you can do at home with your current equipment.

Cheers!

Craig
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I found that the first 20 lbs wasdifficult to detect, but the next 16 I have really noticed a difference. I would encourage you, if you haven't already, to measure yourself with a tape measure, because changes you can't see will show on the tape faster than your eye will detect.

As for home work out vs gym work out. I have found success at the gym because it is away from the distractions of my house and family and I can focus. I have really never felt like anyone at the gym (and I live in a college town, so there are lots of young skinny minnies walking around) is staring at me or wondering why I am there. I have actually found that they have all been really helpful and encouraging. BUT, if you feel more comfortable at home and you will be more consistent in your workout at home, go for it. You don't need any special equipment or location to exercise.

Congrats on your first 17 lbs and good luck as you work toward your goals!!:drinker:
  • GageG
    GageG Posts: 12
    Options
    I only go the gym to swim. Try using a suspension trainer, I find if I do it quickly with no rest I get a good cardiovascular and strength workout. They are expensive but I made my own for under 30 dollars. This is what mine looks like http://adventuresutah.blogspot.com/2010/08/suspension-trainer.html. I love them because there are hundreds of exercises on YouTube and all over the web. Good luck!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you have weights and a cardio machine at home, I don't see any reason why you HAVE to go to a gym. I use the "gym" at my apartment complex and it just has treadmills, bikes and ellipticals, and a free weight set. If I had to leave home to go to a proper gym it just wouldn't happen. But it can be hard to see the difference in your body at first. I've lost 10 out of a total 40 lbs and I'm not even feeling it much in my clothes. But when I really started to look, I saw some small changes in weird places. My wedding ring is a lot looser. My double chin is less. My "back fat" is less. These things won't change the fit of my clothes and are subtle and hard to see, but it's happening. At least your clothing size has changed, so you know for a fact it's working. :wink:

Just keep at it and don't forget about all the things you can do at home that don't require any equipment at all....push ups, sit ups, dips, planks, air boxing...just get creative. And if you happen to have an Xbox360, those games that are coming out for Kinect can be really fun and effective. You're making progress, just keep at it. You weight loss over that amount of time sounds perfectly reasonable.
  • Duerdie
    Duerdie Posts: 5
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're doing all the right things --- except for being patient with yourself. I've done the 30 lbs in 60 days thing and it's just unsustainable. I find myself back where I started in a year or two. You will always be your harshest critic when looking in the mirror. So, put more faith in what you belt and your energy level are telling you and the rest will take care of itself. Go to the gym when you're ready. The social part can really help. Good luck and keep up the great work!

** 6 weeks - 12 lbs lost **
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I say go. You might be surprised at how supportive those at the gym can be. I was self-concious too, but when others found out what I was doing, all of a sudden I had a following of supports and those who wanted to join me on my journey. I started out walking at the local HS track with 1 friend. Now anywhere from 6-10 people meet most evenings a week to walk. It is quite a support system. They keep me motivated. :) Good luck on your journey and do this for yourself. In the long run, no one else matters.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I smiled while reading every reply. I definitely got some motivation from this and its really an eye opener. At the end of the day, my clothes and the scale tell the truth, whether I see it or not. And if anything, all this diet and cardio is improving my internal health. Ill get to the gym when im ready - for now ill stick to what's working for me.

Future viewers, please post anyway. No such thing as bad advice and everyone can use a compliment! Have a good day everyone!