Office Candy Dish!

Options
Anybody else here have trouble with the office candy dish? After lunch, I always tell myself I will have piece. The rest of the day, I keep having "just one more piece". In all today, I have eaten an extra 300 calories because I can't stay away from the candy dish. Those of you who work in an office know that it is always somebody's birthday (cake) or a holiday (cookies) or Friday (bagels). The office is a horrible place to eat well!

Anybody else have this issue? If so, anybody interested in a "Me vs. Office Junk Food" challenge? We can post the temptations and how we did!

Replies

• ThisIsJeffHere
    Options
    Anybody else here have trouble with the office candy dish? After lunch, I always tell myself I will have piece. The rest of the day, I keep having "just one more piece". In all today, I have eaten an extra 300 calories because I can't stay away from the candy dish. Those of you who work in an office know that it is always somebody's birthday (cake) or a holiday (cookies) or Friday (bagels). The office is a horrible place to eat well!

Anybody else have this issue? If so, anybody interested in a "Me vs. Office Junk Food" challenge? We can post the temptations and how we did!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes-the worst part about Target. The company is a big believer about having candy-especially chocolate-readily available for its Team Memebers. Being the HR Manager, of course, it was located IN MY office! :bigsmile:

Also, it being Target, I was WAY TOO busy to sit in my office and munch on candy. I was lucky to have minute to inhale lunch.:laugh:
  • greeneggsam
    Options
    Uh, yeah....

I just got back from an office get-together and I caved for what looked like a small piece of cake. I just logged it based on the size I would estimate, and it is bad news bears! More calories than I ate at lunch!

I am totally on board for an office junk food challenge!

I suppose this means I will have to take the candy dish off of my desk, empty my drawer full of snacks (low-sugar granola bars can stay), and change my usual routes around the office...:wink:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I am a snob in my office because I have done pretty well with turning down the treats. (not always though). Luckily, donuts are the treat of choice for people to bring in and I never really had a weakness for them so it is pretty easy to stay away.
    But I hear ya when it is a special occasion and the cake comes out. Especially if it is a chocolate cake...:grumble:
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute worst vice. I work in an office where everyone, and I mean everyone, keeps food at their desk. There's bowls with Twizzlers, gum drops, and every other type of candy you can imagine. We have a break room in our very small building, and on any given day you can find some type of cake or bagel or other assorted pastry in there. I attend college during the normal semesters and work only during the summer, and my weight noticeably fluctuates during the time I work. I contribute this gain to mostly the break room and office candy, but also to the fact that everyone loves to go out to an all you can eat pizza buffet at least bi-weekly. I can usually say no to that, but when I'm having a bad day, the temptation to scarf down some homemade pizza is just too much. :blushing: I'd love an office junk food challenge.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I always use what I call the Gross Out Method.
    Though I am not that into candy, I still understand with Birthdays and stuff like that...
    This is what I do.
    When the object of sweet temptation comes into play, I try to think of the GROSSEST things that could have happened to that temptation that I can think of.
    The gross Dude from the Dairy Queen Licked it.
    Or It fell on the floor and they put it back up there. Or it is made of worms or SOMETHING like that...
    IF you keep thinking stuff like that you MIGHT be able to stay away from the offender. There is ONE problem. IF YOU have a GREAT imagination, You can make yourself sick.
    As for Candy I have not needed to try it on Candy because when I was a Teen I got sick of Resees Pieces when a friend brought in a 30 pound Mega Bag and we ate nothing but that for weeks when we where at work. I can not STAND any candy now. Reeses or otherwise. THOUGH every so often I have a thing for Jolly Ranchers and after one I am good to go.
    --Diann...
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    a friend brought in a 30 pound Mega Bag and we ate nothing but that for weeks when we where at work.

That's awesome! :laugh:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I always use what I call the Gross Out Method.
    Though I am not that into candy, I still understand with Birthdays and stuff like that...
    This is what I do.
    When the object of sweet temptation comes into play, I try to think of the GROSSEST things that could have happened to that temptation that I can think of.
    The gross Dude from the Dairy Queen Licked it.
    Or It fell on the floor and they put it back up there. Or it is made of worms or SOMETHING like that...
    IF you keep thinking stuff like that you MIGHT be able to stay away from the offender. There is ONE problem. IF YOU have a GREAT imagination, You can make yourself sick.

That is HILARIOUS!!!!! I love it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Where I used to work there were candy dishes EVERYWHERE!!!! There were a couple of ladies who baked on a regular basis and of course they forced you to eat all of it :wink: So then when I became a stay at home mom, I thought well this is going to be easy.....there will be no more candy dishes, homemade cakes etc. Well forget it, the problem now is that I snack on all the kids stuff....goldfish, pretzels, fruit snacks more goldfish, more fruit snacks....:noway: And at playdates the moms always bake something yummy - I can't get away from all this food!!!!!! :grumble: