running pains!

Options
i have just started jogging and i love it!!! i finally do not feel like my chest is going to explode after i jog more than 10 feet :smile: however, i am still having pains in my butt and backs of legs that is keeping me from going the distances i want. being that i am new to running and working out muscles that i don't typically use i know to expect some discomfort, i was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem and how long did it last? let me also state that the backs of my legs are VERY tight, i can't bend over and touch my toes, the furthest i can get is about mid shin. i have been working on getting those stretched out. so do you thing as long as those muscles are tight they will hurt or do you think after i build them up they will stop?

Replies

• meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's important to work on your flexibility with running. The key with stretching is form. Many people when the stretch their hamstrings end up bending entirely at their back and not their hips. My favorite way to stretch them is to lay on the floor in a doorway. Put one leg against the wall with the other leg straight on the ground. Start a little away from the wall and work up towards having your leg flat against the wall. Like this:

http://runners-resource.com/hamstring-flexibility (2nd picture)

This keeps your hips and back in a good alignment and focuses on your hamstrings. Hold the stretch for 30-60 seconds and do 2-3 sets on each leg. To really improve, stretch twice a day. Also the stretch should NOT be painful. Only go to the point of a gentle stretch. If you push to far, you increase your risk of injuring yourself.

Hope that at least helps with your hamstrings!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    After you get your stretch routine down and you've been running for a while, it wont hurt as much.