Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

cramps while running.

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
What can i do to avoid this? I wait at least an hour after I eat. I dont drink alot of water right before. I dont know why i get cramps!

Replies

• WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    When I was on cross country we used to put our hands on our head to avoid cramps if we felt one coming on, it may seem silly but it really did work. Also try to take bigger breaths.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    When I was on cross country we used to put our hands on our head to avoid cramps if we felt one coming on, it may seem silly but it really did work. Also try to take bigger breaths.

hmmm interesting. But i wont be able to do that on the treadmil prob..i have AWFUL balance lol
  • drgregdc
    drgregdc Posts: 22 Member
    Where are the cramps?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I find it has something to do with breathing. I focus on breathing every 3 strides and inhaling so my stomach puffs out. Then you know it's a good deep breath. But also I had to figure out which foods I was eating that gave me cramps when I run. Dairy and fiber-heavy foods do it to me every time, even if I eat something for lunch and run 5 hours later. My best runs are first thing in the morning because I only eat one english muffin and I go.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    What kind of cramps? I used to have this problem during races and I had to change what I ate before a workout. In my case, they were gas pains so no fruit or dairy before running. Pre-race, I now eat a bagel with a little bit of butter or peanut butter.
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    If the cramps are in your ribs it means you arent breathing properly. If they are in your legs or anything it means you ar enot warmin gup and stretching enough.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Potassium... I usually will eat a banana about an hour prior to a run. Works for me!
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    In my experience, I get two types of cramps. 1. Stomach cramps. 2. Lung cramps.

For stomach cramps: I slow my pace, tighten my abdominal muscles, make sure my back is straight, and try to keep my core as steady as possible. Slowing pace is essential for me. When I began running, cramps kept me from achieving any sort of distance until I slowed down.

For lung cramps: I focus on my breathing, try to inhale with a step on one foot and exhale with a step on the other. I read this tip when I was having trouble and I found it really works. Again, slowing pace helps too.

Best of luck!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    are you talking about stomach cramps or "side stitches"? If so, I've read that a lot of those side cramps are from your diaphragm being irritated and cramping up. One remedy I've read and tried with some success is to change your breathing significantly if you feel a cramp coming on. maybe you're exhaling on every step with your R foot, change it so youre exhaling when you land on your L foot instead. Or take 2 step inhalations and exhalations instead of in and out with each step..

does that make sense? the idea is taht your lung movement pressing against the diaphragm is irritating it , change it up and you decrease the irritation.
  • aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    i would try waiting at least 2 hrs after uve eaten.. its better to run on an empty stomach.. and u might be dehydrated..but most of the time its ur breathing.. in thru ur nose out thru ur mouth, focus on it and on a spot somewhere in front of u and just concentrate on ur breathing.. works for me.. of course when it doesnt i just power thru it by pressing on it with my fingers and standing up real straight.. it gets better over time, the more you run and ur body gets used to it and in better shape..
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    I always walk (quickly, about 4 mph) for 5 minutes before running to warm up. If I don't I can barely run for 5 minutes with out getting a cramp in my side...
  • nuttylou
    nuttylou Posts: 33 Member
    The times I have got cramps have been when Ive not eaten before Ive worked out. I only had it twice and both times I had gone to the gym at 11am and I normally have lunch at 12. I like to go at 13-14.00 or 18-19.00 evenings an hour or so after Ive eaten and then I find im ok x
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    it helps to take deep breaths, in thru the nose then exhale really hard (contracting abs) pushing it out...do this a few times and it will help them go away....another method I do it pushing in on the cramp...helps it disapate.
    If you need to walk for a little bit and then jog some more