Kids...HELP!!!...Picky Eaters!

Options
so my 4 year old son is the most picky eater in the world!
he will not eat...goldfish crackers...or chips..or any kind of cookies. no bread not a sandwhich or toast or french toast... he dosent like milk or juice only water with ice or sometimes applejuice....

so in the mornings he gets a little protein shake and his vitimins
for lunch is always veggies and a fruit and couple slices of turkey.
and dinner varies...but hes so freaking picky seems like all he eats is veggies and fruit. i shouldnt complaine but im so sick of hearing I DONT LIKE THAT REMEMBER?? I TOLD YOU! i just need some more things to feed him any ideas?????

he eats all fruits and all veggies
and we eat only organic things for the most part.

Replies

• TheHottestMama
    Options
    so my 4 year old son is the most picky eater in the world!
    he will not eat...goldfish crackers...or chips..or any kind of cookies. no bread not a sandwhich or toast or french toast... he dosent like milk or juice only water with ice or sometimes applejuice....

so in the mornings he gets a little protein shake and his vitimins
    for lunch is always veggies and a fruit and couple slices of turkey.
    and dinner varies...but hes so freaking picky seems like all he eats is veggies and fruit. i shouldnt complaine but im so sick of hearing I DONT LIKE THAT REMEMBER?? I TOLD YOU! i just need some more things to feed him any ideas?????

he eats all fruits and all veggies
    and we eat only organic things for the most part.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know this might shock you but.
    CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!
    WOW a Kid that is a picky eater that ONLY EATS FRUIT AND VEGGIES! HOW LUCKY FOR YOU?
    Now in order to make you feel better.
    You said 4 RIGHT? When My daughter was 4 she went through a thing for the LONGEST time where she would only eat bread.
    She would eat NOTHING ELSE! Just bread. In desperation I took her to the doctor, and he told me that this is normal for a 4 year old to go through bouts of only eating one thing or another, Not to worry about it and do not force her into eating something that she did not want to because that would make her not want that food for a LONG time if ever.
    Just to have the other foods available and when she was ready she would eat them, Basicly follow in Moms Foot Steps.
    Which about a month later with me calmer, she did.
    OH and NEVER TELL YOUR CHILD,
    "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO LIKE IT BUT EAT IT ANYWAY!"
    That is a SURE way to get them to never eat whatever you are trying to feed them.
    Instead YOU act like it is the BEST thing you ever tasted and they will natrually want to try something that tastes that good too.
    --Diann...
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a 17 month old that is the same way! I get SO worried. I'm a Pediatric Advice Registered Nurse, so I know I need to calm down and just let him eat what he wants as long as it is not horrible for him. Just keep giving him the vitamins... no snacking in between meals... No low fat anything... and keep offering it! Dont stop putting the things he doesn't like in front of him. Man I understand... there is nothing like having a little picky boy who turns up his nose to EVERYTHING. I think my little guy lives off air...
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I cook two things in my house...

Take it or Leave it.

Yes, I'm mean...but it works. lol I have an 11 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. They will now eat anything from sushi to pizza, and every country in-between. Some days were a struggle, but now I know that they are getting all their food groups.

I do get creative though...

Tacos have been known to be tortilla chips and a few scoops of each ingredient.
    Ham sandwiches on a roll with pickle eyes, grape tomato noses, and olive ears.
    Make your own pizza (and I use a chopper to finely chop veggies to add to extra veggie sauce.
    Zucchini bread...Who'd of thunk it???
    Sweet potatoes added secretly to pancakes...YUM!
    Potatoes with broccoli and cheese on top.
    "Log home" celery and carrots connected with peanut butter
    Lunch meat wraps with ham, spinach or lettuce, and sprinkled cheese, rolled into a tortilla
    Salads...yum! We let the kiddos make their own with sesame seeds, croutons, and crasins.

Those are a few favorites in our house. We also do a "scoop of each." I don't care if they don't like it...I am not feeding them anything that will make any of us die... LOL They will survive with a scoop of something. Right?

I have a hubby who was never forced to eat anything he deemed "yucky." Ya...I fixed that right away! LOL
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hokay I finally found the book I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to use with my kids!

It is called, "Favorite Brand Name Silly Snacks." It has all sorts of fun snacks and meals to make for kids. Like a sloppy joe sandwich on a cut out hot dog bun, and it looks like a car. A soup with a pig made of dough on top cooked in a coffee mug. My kids LOVE this book! My friend who has triplets bought the book too...she gave it six thumbs up! LOL

14638104.JPG
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    thanks so much
    i was using my cell all day
    and for somereason he posted a zillion times!!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I had a horribly mean mom. She made me eat whatever it was she cooked whether I liked it or not. There was no choice. I was positive the hominy would one day kill me and she'd be sorry. Fortunately for me it never did. She was lucky she didn't kill one of her kids by making them eat something they hated. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I thought I was a picky eater...turns out I just didn't like my mom's cooking.:laugh:

I *am* picky in that I like high quality food well prepared. I am *picky* in that I have food allergies and can be hard to feed (no wheat, dairy, eggs, garlic, almonds, or green beans...I know, weird combo...)

My DH and DD will eat anything, no problem. My DS has some food allergies (not as many as me) and is special needs, part of which is lower muscle tone in his tongue and swallowing -- after years of therapy I'm just happy he's eating...:wink: strong arming to eat what he is not comfortable eating is very counter to the therapy. -- We've tracked his food that I thought was very limited and saw a dietitian. She and his many doctors are happy he's eating and while we offer a wide choice we are told he is fine to be allowed to pick and choose.