Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Surgery Recovery?

OK, so I am having the cartilage under my knee "repaired" on June 8th. I am hearing SUCH mixed reviews on recovery...my ortho says one thing, my SIL (who is a PT) says another.
I have heard I will be back jogging again 6-8 weeks post op. I have heard 10 weeks, I have heard 6 months!
Please, anyone have any knee procedures done WHat was your recovery time? Pain?
I am planning on going die hard for PT right after the surgery and building up my knee ASAP!
I am signing up for the Baltimore Relay on October 15th and Disney Half in January, surgery is 6.8
Opinions please?

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Make sure to get that PT in right away like you said - I think the half is reasonable, the relay may be tough. But if you get started right away, you'll know. Definitely listen to your ortho.

i had meniscus surgery and had nothing for ~1-2 weeks then PT for 6, and was back to "fully operational" within 3-4 months of the operation. But I also wasn't doing distance running. Please be careful and listen to your body - a little pain is one thing, but fighting through it so that you can make a race may do even more damage!!

**EDIT - minor editorial changes
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Please note that if you are talking about "jogging" - then 8-10 weeks seems reasonable for short distances... but running 5 miles at 4 months seems a little risky to me... best consult your ortho.
  • THANKS for your insight. That is what i needed, from someone who has "Done it"
    I am scheduling PT the following MONDAY! As soon as I am allowed to!

THe relay is not as important to me as the half! I cannot wait to RUN DISNEY!

Thanks again!
  • JUST set up some PT post surgery I will run again, better than before!