Muscle Question..I don't want any more or any less

Options
Ok I have a question...I am happy with the amount of muscle I have right now. I feel I have the amount that I like without being too much. I want to keep it the same...no more and no less. I am fine if it gets harder, more defined but I don't want to add any size. I still could stand to lose a little bodyfat though.

What should my exercise plan be?
More strength training...with heavy weights, light weights?
more HITT cardio?

If anyone has suggestions on this, I would appreciate it. I

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think the trick then is to tone and not bulk up, so light weight and more reps versus heavier weights and less reps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok I have a question...I am happy with the amount of muscle I have right now. I feel I have the amount that I like without being too much. I want to keep it the same...no more and no less. I am fine if it gets harder, more defined but I don't want to add any size. I still could stand to lose a little bodyfat though.

What should my exercise plan be?
    More strength training...with heavy weights, light weights?
    more HITT cardio?

If anyone has suggestions on this, I would appreciate it. I

As a woman you will not bulk up very easily, and if you are in a caloric deficit (trying to lose weight) it is even more unlikely.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think the trick then is to tone and not bulk up, so light weight and more reps versus heavier weights and less reps.

Not necessarily a woman in a caloric deficit will not bulk up even with heavy weights. Women lack testosterone and muscles need a caloric surplus to grow. for some reason women are afraid of heavy weights, but heavy (8-12 reps) is probably the most balance approach to lifting
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't worry to much. Extremely hard to add muscle while restricting your calories, even more so for females. In general though, a balanced program with both cardio and weights focussing on slightly higher reps like the 12-14 range.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    VERY hard or impossible to gain muscle while eating at a deficit. Keep with what you're doing, more cardio will make you lose muscle mass.
  • map1972
    map1972 Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree lighter weights and more repetitions. I have heard that free weights can cause larger muscles because they are a consistent weight through the whole motion. Weight machines don't do that. My understanding is that free weights give you more bulk. Of course, this may be more of an issue for the heavier weights than for the lower weights.